Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • By JaneDoeJohnDoe 11th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 216Posts
    • 73Thanks
    JaneDoeJohnDoe
    VANQUIS charging me for purchase made after credit card hacked!
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    VANQUIS charging me for purchase made after credit card hacked! 11th Jan 18 at 5:48 PM
    Out of the blue I got text from VANQUIS asking me if a transaction I made was legit. Instead of texting back (in case phishing) I rung their call centre (not free) & spent ages on hold & ages talking to their "security experts".
    The transaction was NOT made by me & I told them so. Expert told me that i'd be sent a form to fill in & send back to state that transaction wasn't mine. The form never arrived. Card cancelled & new one issued.
    Anyhow a few days later I get letter saying that case was closed & money had been refunded.
    Just before that I had an email from a website I'd purchased from (well known) a few days before the bad transaction stating that their site had been hacked & beware of unknwon transactions etc . I assumed VANQUIS would be aware of this so thought nothing of it.
    Anyhow, a day ago I get a letter with some copied information showing that bad transaction was made by me as they'd applied chargeback to the merchant & "it was genuine transaction!" Basically my name & card number etc were on the copy of the transaction.
    So, they were recharging me with the amount of the bad transaction (which is over 100!)
    I immediately rung up (not free) & was given a load of bull like I "must have done so as on paypal" & I had to insist they listened & now they are "writing to me".
    So, before I have anymore contact with them could someone please point me in the right direction re law regarding disputed transactions etc?
Page 1
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 11th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    Phone numbers for 99% of banks are "not free" - but they are local rate so are free if they come out of your mobile allowance.

You need to put in a formal complaint and provide the relevant proof (the email from the merchant saying they had been hacked is a good start!). You may then need to take them to the FOS.

Have a read here: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-complain-about-unauthorised-transactions-on-your-card

Have you tried contacting the merchant for a refund? What have they said?
    • JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • By JaneDoeJohnDoe 12th Jan 18, 10:44 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:44 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:44 PM
    As I said in posting the money was originally refunded, but once they'd sent me their "evidence" that I'd approved the transaction they said in their letter the charge would be reapplied to my account. Think the formal complaint bit is best. Yes calls are not free & whilst can come out of my mobile allowance I'd rather spend my free calls on talking to family/friends & not being on hold !
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 12th Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    • 6,813 Posts
    • 3,702 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:52 PM
    Yep, formal complaint in writing from now on.

It is for the CC to prove you conducted the transaction, not for you to prove you didn't. Clearly they think they have got proof.

Continue to deny and dispute and escalate to the FOS if necessary.

Report back on how you are getting on.
    • JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • By JaneDoeJohnDoe 9th Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    JaneDoeJohnDoe
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:38 AM
    Well dispite the letter that stated categorically that they were adding the charge back on & the subsequent telephone conversation in which they said "will write to me", they never did write again. I checked my next statement. Bad transaction not added. I waited until all my cashback had been applied from my "proper" transactions on the next statement & then rung um up, paid off the little bit of correct amount owing & told them what they could do with their card!
    They even tried to offer me a sweetener of a lower interest rate as "a valued customer" But no chance after the way they treated me. I said goodbye then hung up & cancelled my direct debit in case they tried a sneaky
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 9th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    It's worth spending some time to check that the card has been cancelled. If it has not and fraudulent transactions appear which are not dealt with, they will end up applying missed payment markers with the Credit Reference Agencies when they can't collect money that they think they're due by direct debit. Although it's a pain to have to do this, it will be easier than trying to get fraudulent transactions and any late payment fees removed later. Any nasty marks at the CRA's will stay for 6 years, impacting your ability to get credit elsewhere.

A formal complaint is worth doing (up to the ombudsman if necessary) and you could ask them to refund the equivalent amount to the minutes you have wasted on them.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ 19.55/180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ 20.75/180.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,677Posts Today

8,443Users online

Martin's Twitter