Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpeedDemon
    • By SpeedDemon 11th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    SpeedDemon
    Paying cash in Branches
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    Paying cash in Branches 11th Jan 18 at 5:16 PM
    I visited my local Barclays brand (after many years) as had to pay in some cash to a family members account (Only 200).

The cashier advised that "due to money laundering" they would not accept cash payment unless I had a paying book of the account holder or a pre payment slip.

The only way around was to make an online transfer from my bank account (Not barclays).

Is this something quite new as the cashier advised Barclays had introduced it from 2018

I haven't seen anything published by the FSCA about this. Just another way to reduce customers coming in to branches I expect.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    There was a similar thread last week week about Lloyds
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • msallen
    • By msallen 11th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    msallen
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    Just another way to reduce customers coming in to branches I expect.
    Originally posted by SpeedDemon
    Contrary to this commonly recurring trope, banks want people to go into branches so that they can cross sell other products such as insurance. That is why they have spent so much money over the last few years trying to make branches "inviting" places without all the old bulletproof glass and steel bars separating you from the tellers but rather with open airy spaces containing comfy seating. They only close branches when they are losing too much money to be offset by cross-sales - nearly all branches lose some money, but it is considered a reasonable cost of sales.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,119Posts Today

7,772Users online

Martin's Twitter