Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 11th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 158Posts
    • 32Thanks
    inglorius
    Work colleague block booking desired holiday dates
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    Work colleague block booking desired holiday dates 11th Jan 18 at 4:03 PM
    My current çompany have a local rule that no 2 managers can be on leave at the save time, my co manager has been with the business about 6 months and we are asked to book holidays around each other.

The annual holiday planner went up in the office this week, during a casual conversation with my colleague today they mentioned that they had booked off all of the bank holiday weeks from Easter though to August for the year. I casually asked them where are they going for these dates and they said that they hadn't anything arranged but would look at this in the future. I then replied that they therefore effectively had reserved all of the prime holiday dates off for the year without having any plans for any of these dates and found this extremely selfish.

I subsequently complained to my line managers boss about this behaviour and the fact that they had condoned it but they did not offer any support to resolve this situation. I was looking for thoughts please, I have no issue with the company holiday policy but the distinction between booking a holiday and block reserving all of the years prime holiday dates.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    There is no distinction.

No obligation to have a 'holiday'. If your colleague wishes to spend the day in the dressing gown, drinking wine from the box - that's up to them/

I don't think it's particularly nice thing to do to book holiday without checking with you, but if your manager allows it that's up to them
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 12,580 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    Work doesn't care if you trek the Andes on your Annual Leave or stay in bed all day. You do no have to have plans to take the holiday. You didn't seem upset about her taking the days until you realised she had no plans?

You need to find out whether its a case of first come first serve or 'collaborating' between you two. You say you need to work holidays around each other. If that is the case, you need to work out how that is implicated.
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 11th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    inglorius
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    Work doesn't care if you trek the Andes on your Annual Leave or stay in bed all day. You do no have to have plans to take the holiday. You didn't seem upset about her taking the days until you realised she had no plans?

You need to find out whether its a case of first come first serve or 'collaborating' between you two. You say you need to work holidays around each other. If that is the case, you need to work out how that is implicated.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    I could have block booked all the prime holiday dates for this year without consulting my colleague to ensure I got the best pick but would have found this extremely selfish.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 11th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 2,164 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:19 PM

This is the nub of the matter. Have you been there longer than her? If so, how did it work with the person she replaced?
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 11th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    They wouldn!!!8217;t be my idea of prime holiday dates!

Happy and contented makes a good point about how it!!!8217;s worked before.

To be honest, as opposed to complaining !!!8220;up the line!!!8221; I!!!8217;d have sat down with her over a cuppa and had a quiet discussion about what had happened. Pointing out that you had to work out leave between you. She might have seen your side of the argument.

I agree with Comms69 that it wasn!!!8217;t a nice thing to do but it is possible it was thoughtless rather than anything else. It sounds like she may have children and wants to spend the holidays with them. Before anyone says anything I know (been there got the T shirt) about parents having first dibs on holidays. I don!!!8217;t agree with that!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 12,580 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I could have block booked all the prime holiday dates for this year without consulting my colleague to ensure I got the best pick but would have found this extremely selfish.
    Originally posted by inglorius
    You need to find out what the policy is.

if its first come first serve, then tough. These may not be prime days for some people. Some people may prefer school hols, some may prefer NOT to have school hols to avoid busy times.

You find it selfish. And?

If its first come first serve, be quicker next time.

If its a case of compromising with your colleague, you need to say 'sorry, actually out of these 4 weekends there are 2 I would like, therefore we need to sort something out.'
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 11th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    inglorius
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    This is the nub of the matter. Have you been there longer than her? If so, how did it work with the person she replaced?
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    I worked on my own before they started. I spoke to one of my colleagues in another department whom has the same holiday rules, they said that if their colleague had reserved all of the best holiday dates for themselves at the quickest opportunity without consulting them then they would be livid.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 12,580 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    I worked on my own before they started. I spoke to one of my colleagues in another department whom has the same holiday rules, they said that if their colleague had reserved all of the best holiday dates for themselves at the quickest opportunity without consulting them then they would be livid.
    Oh god who cares.

If its against policy, then get it changed.

If its not, get over it. It doesnt matter if it would make Karen from finance livid!
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 11th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    inglorius
    They wouldn’t be my idea of prime holiday dates!

Happy and contented makes a good point about how it’s worked before.

To be honest, as opposed to complaining “up the line” I’d have sat down with her over a cuppa and had a quiet discussion about what had happened. Pointing out that you had to work out leave between you. She might have seen your side of the argument.

I agree with Comms69 that it wasn’t a nice thing to do but it is possible it was thoughtless rather than anything else. It sounds like she may have children and wants to spend the holidays with them. Before anyone says anything I know (been there got the T shirt) about parents having first dibs on holidays. I don’t agree with that!
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    I'm afraid you are giving them too much credit, I did discuss this with them and they couldn't see how selfish their actions were. They do not have children the motivator being that they complained they only get statutory holidays which isn't enough so to stretch them they take all bank holiday weeks off so use 4 days leave to get a weeks holiday.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    It doesn't matter if he/she would be livid.

It's a simple question of: does policy allow this?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    I'm afraid you are giving them too much credit, I did discuss this with them and they couldn't see how selfish their actions were. They do not have children the motivator being that they complained they only get statutory holidays which isn't enough so to stretch them they take all bank holiday weeks off so use 4 days leave to get a weeks holiday.
    Bank holidays are included in statutory.

Remember your manager could turn around and tell you that you must use your annual leave on specific, non consecutive, days.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 11th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    NeilCr
    That wasn’t clear at all from your OP.

Basically, you said you had a conversation with them today, you told them they were selfish - you then complained two rungs up the food chain.

I’m not, honestly, surprised that that person wasn’t too interested. They’d expect two managers to sort it out between them - especially, as the problem only arose today.

Have another go over a cuppa
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 11th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    inglorius
    Bank holidays are included in statutory.

Remember your manager could turn around and tell you that you must use your annual leave on specific, non consecutive, days.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Sorry should have clarified they have a grievance with the number of non bank holidays they have which is 20 days their previous company gave them 25.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 12,580 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Sorry should have clarified they have a grievance with the number of non bank holidays they have which is 20 days their previous company gave them 25.
    It doesnt matter. They are still only taking 4 days AL, same as everyone else in that situation. Those who work get a nice short work week and a long weekends, she's just stringing the two together.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69

Just to clarify they didn't have 25, they had 33 days, and were told to take 8 on the bank holidays.

You have 28, not 20. but are told to take 8 on the bank holidays.

Bank holidays hold no special meaning in terms of annual leave
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 11th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    inglorius
    Just to clarify they didn't have 25, they had 33 days, and were told to take 8 on the bank holidays.

You have 28, not 20. but are told to take 8 on the bank holidays.

Bank holidays hold no special meaning in terms of annual leave
    Originally posted by Comms69
    No sorry we both have 28 days, in their previous employment my peer got 33 days which has always been a gripe to them combined with the fact that other managers get 33 days. Their strategy therefore was to book all the bank holiday weeks off to stretch their allowance so they book only 4 of their floating days and have 5 days off.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 5,921 Posts
    • 12,580 Thanks
    marliepanda
    No sorry we both have 28 days, in their previous employment my peer got 33 days which has always been a gripe to them combined with the fact that other managers get 33 days. Their strategy therefore was to book all the bank holiday weeks off to stretch their allowance so they book only 4 of their floating days and have 5 days off.
    But they dont get any more days off that way! Aaaaaargh.

Everyone still gets the same!
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 11th Jan 18, 5:00 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Timpu
    They do not have children the motivator being that they complained they only get statutory holidays which isn't enough so to stretch them they take all bank holiday weeks off so use 4 days leave to get a weeks holiday.
    Would all be tickety boo if children were involved?

OP, I'd sit down with your colleague again and see if something that can be worked out. I'd say something like "I really would like x week off so I can do y, would you perhaps take the following/prior week off instead so we can both benefit from the public holiday?" If that doesn't work, book adjacent weeks off and enjoy yourself.
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 11th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    inglorius
    But they dont get any more days off that way! Aaaaaargh.

Everyone still gets the same!
    Agreed but their thinking is that they only have 20 floating days which is 4 weeks so if they tack holidays at the end of a Bank Holiday then they will save a day every week to use at another time and still get a full weeks holiday each time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin