Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 11th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    • 2,684Posts
    • 2,049Thanks
    no1catman
    Facebook - dissapointed
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    Facebook - dissapointed 11th Jan 18 at 1:03 PM
    signed up for facebook earlier this week. Probably only because I wanted to send a message to a company who claimed they had a website, but in reality was just a facebook page.

I'm already on Linledin, so I thought it would be interesting to see some of the differences.
    Facebook, unlike LinkedIn, don't recognise enough of my life history - previous employers, and Schools.
    Friends reunited is said to have died because of facebook, with FR I could see people from High School, and Junior School - Facebbook can't because they don't exist!

'Friends/people you may know' LinkedIn is based on people linked to your connections, people from your work history. And there's usually some rationale with any connect invites. Facebook - once it covers your local area then it can be anywhere. I've had one Facebook 'be my friend' but turns out to be from a 'good-time' girl looking for a sugar-daddy'!!

So, far not impressed. What do others here do on fb?
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Page 1
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 11th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 5,546 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    Search for friends by name. Search for your old school by name. Search for your town by name.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 16,522 Posts
    • 41,704 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    I joined FB to enter competitions, so my FB name is not my real one and I can't be tracked down. I have no personal information on there.
    I now use it for information from local pages for what's happening, and for groups with similar interests to mine to chat and arrange meet ups.
    None of my family or real life friends or work colleagues are FB friends, and I plan to keep it that way.

I did get my dog via FB, as I wanted a specific breed and the rescue's FB page was updated more often than their webpage. That was a bonus. But generally speaking I don't want my life splashed all over social media or to have old school
    friends trying to rekindle acquaintances.

It's fair to say I don't think I'm a typical user.
    Last edited by elsien; 11-01-2018 at 1:18 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 11th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    I joined FB about 5yrs ago, about 3wks later i cancelled the a/c.
    I don't want my life splashed all over the Internet.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 11th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 19,026 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    It really sort of depends on how you use it.

I use it mainly because events are organised through it, and without it you struggle to find out about them or the updated info. I am also a member of 6 or 7 local groups (all closed so limited to just those people who are members)

You don't have to "splash your life" all over it if you don't want to.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 11th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 7,732 Posts
    • 16,887 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    I use FB because Girlguiding leaders groups are on there. I'm also a member of a couple of local pages specific to my town, so that I can see events, local crime concerns, etc. My profile is locked down to be as private as I can be, and I don't post photos. I rarey post at all on my page, but use it daily for Girlguiding purposes - supporting each other, participating in discussions, sharing ideas.

Anyone that did manage to read my personal page would soon be very bored - I think I wished someone happy birthday last year, but that's about it.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 15,168 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    signed up for facebook earlier this week. Probably only because I wanted to send a message to a company who claimed they had a website, but in reality was just a facebook page.

I'm already on Linledin, so I thought it would be interesting to see some of the differences.
    Facebook, unlike LinkedIn, don't recognise enough of my life history - previous employers, and Schools.
    Friends reunited is said to have died because of facebook, with FR I could see people from High School, and Junior School - Facebbook can't because they don't exist!

'Friends/people you may know' LinkedIn is based on people linked to your connections, people from your work history. And there's usually some rationale with any connect invites. Facebook - once it covers your local area then it can be anywhere. I've had one Facebook 'be my friend' but turns out to be from a 'good-time' girl looking for a sugar-daddy'!!

So, far not impressed. What do others here do on fb?
    Originally posted by no1catman
    It can be a chore to find some people. Firstly use the search function and look through the people it brings up. If that fails you can sometimes find more people you know in the friends lists of other people you know and then more people in their friends lists and so on. You wont find some people simply because they aren't on there. It can sometimes be hard to find females as they can often register under their married name which does not help if you havent seen them since school and only know their maiden name.
    Last edited by donnajunkie; 11-01-2018 at 7:04 PM.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 11th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 15,168 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    But you control what you put on there. Simply dont post anything you dont want people to know.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 5th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 5th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    I'm amazed at the suggestions for 'people you may know' - though I haven't had any more (so far) that want me for a sugar daddy!1 I'm getting lots of people from the 'third world' many scantily clad!
    Does everyone get that? Why?

I see there's a privacy option, but it just seems to be per section - e.g. all likes, prefer it was per item!

Re: searches - Found so far - anywhere has to currently still exist, yet even then only comes up with current events, no option for people in the past whether employees or students.
    Also, not easy to look per location (it's easy in LinkedIn).
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 5th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 15,168 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I'm amazed at the suggestions for 'people you may know' - though I haven't had any more (so far) that want me for a sugar daddy!1 I'm getting lots of people from the 'third world' many scantily clad!
    Does everyone get that? Why?

I see there's a privacy option, but it just seems to be per section - e.g. all likes, prefer it was per item!

Re: searches - Found so far - anywhere has to currently still exist, yet even then only comes up with current events, no option for people in the past whether employees or students.
    Also, not easy to look per location (it's easy in LinkedIn).
    Originally posted by no1catman
    I occasionally get a friend request from a profile thats obviously iffy. I just delete it. If you get pestered you can block people.
    When searching put in a name then select the people option. There is an option for putting in a town or city. The search function is far from perfect as you cant be sure who you are looking for will be near the top. Some people wont be on facebook.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 5th Feb 18, 8:19 PM
    • 8,179 Posts
    • 12,834 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I originally joined Facebook years ago to keep in touch with my family who lived abroad as it was a good way of keeping up to date. I then joined lots of FB groups and gathered friends a long the way. The experience became a bit unpleasant with arguments and lots of washing dirty laundry. I've not been on FB since 2014 and don't miss it.

Plus, many of the family I originally kept in touch with are now in the UK so no need for it now really as we meet up or catch up on the phone.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 6th Feb 18, 6:47 AM
    • 5,322 Posts
    • 7,312 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I just use it to stay close to where I began life.....Lancaster & Morecambe, Past and Present.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 6th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 16,240 Posts
    • 71,101 Thanks
    Judi
    I joined Facebook because someone asked me if i used it. Up until then i knew of it but hadnt bothered with it.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,428Users online

Martin's Twitter