Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • skezzyk
    • By skezzyk 11th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    skezzyk
    Faulty radiator 6.5 years old
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    Faulty radiator 6.5 years old 11th Jan 18 at 11:42 AM
    One of our radiators, purchased 6.5 years ago has developed a leak where the metal seems to have corroded. Contacted the retailer and they've advised that the manufacturer has ceased trading and the shop's warranty was for 12 months only. They've offered us a discount on a new radiator. I know the radiator is now over 6 years old but surely a radiator is designed to last longer than this? It was also a very expensive "designer" radiator (cost 900!), so I want to check out my rights before I agree to fork out again. We also had many problems when we first purchased the radiator - it wouldn't work at all and after 4 visits from the shop's plumbers it ended up going back to the manufacturer for adjustments. Never received any apology for the hassle and in fact the retailer tried to charge us for the plumbers visits! Any advice appreciated.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jan 18, 11:48 AM
    • 20,342 Posts
    • 16,116 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:48 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:48 AM
    I'm not sure that it'll matter what the life of the radiator is, after 6 years you'll struggle to get anything from the seller. A manufacturer's warranty might have given you a longer period of cover, but if they're no longer in business that's no help. What the shop has offered is probably the best you'll get.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 8,983 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    Take the offer of a discounted radiator, maybe gently push them for a little bit more.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 11th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    A lot of radiators will rust if the correct inhibitor hasn't been used in the system. I have seen towel warmer (cheap one's) style rads rusted through at 12 months old. They are not faulty if used with the corrosion preventing inhibitor. If this was used I don't really see how it could rust through. You don't keep wetting the outside and the inside is protected so how does it happen?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:31 PM
    Assuming you're in England or Wales, then the Limitations Act kicks in after 6 years. That means that you can't take legal action against the supplier if they don't offer the refund you want.

The time limit is different in Scotland, and presumably in Northern Ireland as well.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 11th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    Not quite correct about the limitations act as the six year period runs from the date when you became or should have become aware of the issue being complained about. That said on a six year old radiator I wouldn't hold your breathe while trying to get a refund.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 9,955 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    Not quite correct about the limitations act as the six year period runs from the date when you became or should have become aware of the issue being complained about. That said on a six year old radiator I wouldn't hold your breathe while trying to get a refund.
    Originally posted by GrumpyDil
    Are you sure? I believe it's 6 years from purchase in England and Wales, but 5 years from discovery in Scotland only. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable (unholyangel!) will be able to clarify.
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 11th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    Yes. The limitations Act 1980 sets down the limitation limits of 6 and 12 years.

These limits run from the date that the cause of action arises from. In contract cases that is generally 6 years from when the contract was breached or one party became aware or should have been aware of the breach.

So in the case of the radiator if you accept it was not of acceptable quality you could argue that the six years runs from the date the leak occurred as that would be the date that the OP became or ought to have become aware that he had been sold goods which were not of acceptable quality.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 12th Jan 18, 6:12 AM
    • 3,833 Posts
    • 6,630 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:12 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:12 AM
    Yes. The limitations Act 1980 sets down the limitation limits of 6 and 12 years.

These limits run from the date that the cause of action arises from. In contract cases that is generally 6 years from when the contract was breached or one party became aware or should have been aware of the breach.

So in the case of the radiator if you accept it was not of acceptable quality you could argue that the six years runs from the date the leak occurred as that would be the date that the OP became or ought to have become aware that he had been sold goods which were not of acceptable quality.
    Originally posted by GrumpyDil
    This is incorrect, it is six years from purchase unless in Scotland where it is five years from discovery, this is made perfectly clear in the Consumer Rights Act.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 12th Jan 18, 10:36 PM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Before the retailer pays out they are going to ask themselves a few questions
    1. Is it faulty or is it misuse / poor fitting / no or incorrect inhibitor?
    2. Is it going to land us with fitting costs?
    3. Is it more grief to keep saying no or just offer something to get rid of complaint?

They know they have no recourse against the supplier, my bet is they wont accept full responsibility but they might go as far as 50% off a replacement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

625Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter