Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Jaclynsurrey
    • By Jaclynsurrey 11th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Child turning 18 - c800 a month lost
    • #1
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    Child turning 18 - c800 a month lost 11th Jan 18 at 9:37 AM

    I guess i am looking for advance advice/help! My daughter will be 18 next March (2019) and is currently in full time education, when she turns 18 I will loose a substantial amount of money a month as follows:

    396 per month Child maintenance
    75 per week Working/Child Tax Credits
    82 per 4 weeks Child Benefit
    plus i will lose my 25% Council Tax relief which will cost me an extra 23 a month

    so all in all 826 a month down!

    I take home 1200 a month from my job and this will be what I have to live on. I rent my house, a very modest 2 bedroom, no garden, terraced house for 595 a month so after rent and council tax I am left with about 500 for all other bills and to live on. I cant move as my daughter will still be living with me and needs a bedroom.

    My daughter plans to work and will contribute to the house but obviously she wont be contributing anything near 800.

    Any ideas on whether I am entitled to anything or whether my daughter would be entitled to claim anything to help or just how an earth I am mean to survive!!

    Thank you in advance

Page 2
    • Anniee88
    • By Anniee88 12th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    I am surprised the amount of kids who go to uni whether they can afford it or not. There should be far fewer going and only if they have exceptional talent. Also making sure that the degree they choose will get them a proper job when they complete course. I feel far too many kids get themselves into long term debt taking years to have to pay it off.
    Originally posted by skcollobcat10
    I think you are ill informed there. Debt gets wiped after 25-30 years and they only take 9% of your earnings above a certain amount each month for example you have to earn 21,000 per year first (there is roumour this may rise to 26,000) before you get to that limit so it isnt about getting into debt. You can get a much better job having a degree than not. Its not unaffordable going to university, I would much rather my kids did that then just went into work straight from college.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 16th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    I had the same situation with my son in that once he turned 18 (on 31 August) there were no more CTC or CB payments.

    He chose to go to uni locally so he could live at home and gives me about 80% of what I previously received for him with CB and CTC.

    He is an adult now but is glad that he doesn't have to pay what some of the students pay for accommodation (140 per week).

    The other option would have been for him to have got a job.
    • konark
    • By konark 17th Jan 18, 12:31 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    Your daughter will not go to University until September. You will continue to get child benefit and tax credits for her until the 31st August, not too sure about the child maintenance. That gives you nearly 8 months to try to find a job .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,658Posts Today

9,394Users online

Martin's Twitter