Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yellow218
    • By yellow218 11th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    • 89Posts
    • 155Thanks
    yellow218
    Advice on how to budget please?
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    Advice on how to budget please? 11th Jan 18 at 8:27 AM
    Hi all

I have been successfully tracking the ins and outs when it comes to our money for about 10 years, but although every year I attempt to budget there appear to be some things that Iím not good at budgeting for.

I appreciate that the aim is to keep within a budget, and for most things we do, but it seems easier to keep within budget for our non-essentials, we are good at saying no to ourselves if it would otherwise mean going over budget.

Going over budget on some esssentials seem to be a frequent occurrence. It doesnít mean we end up going into debt, but it means we save less than we were expecting. So we end the year a little disappointed in ourselves.

Iíve come to the conclusion that I am obviously not realistic in setting the budget on some things. For example petrol is one thing that every year I underestimate on. We do the same mileage each year, but I obviously underestimate how much the price per litre changed throughout the year.

Iím assuming there are guys and girls out their who have more luck on this? If so how do you do it? Do you have any technique in estimating more accurate costs?

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • yellow218
    • By yellow218 11th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    yellow218
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    Ps. I would prefer to overestimate the essentials and cut back on non-essentials/ save more.

But just wondering if there are any !!!8216;rules of thumb!!!8217; people use to set accurate budgets? Any reliable sources which predict the next years costs?
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 11th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    Which essentials are you referring to? Generally monthly bills are fixed or at least known to some extent. Are you budgeting these for the correct amount? Something that does catch people out are irregular expenses such as annual costs for car/ house insurance, MoTs, servicing etc. It's important to budget for these as well as otherwise you get caught out when these expenses come up for payment. Other considerations are thing like food shopping, and planning your meals and doing shopping lists that you stick to rather than buying on impulse.

I don't know if any of these are an issue for you, but they are things to consider. If it's other things, let us know and someone should be able to advise further.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,051Posts Today

7,803Users online

Martin's Twitter