Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulamcb
    • By paulamcb 11th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    paulamcb
    Universal credits and leaving self employment
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    Universal credits and leaving self employment 11th Jan 18 at 7:49 AM
    Hi
    I will try to keep this brief.
    My husband and I are both self employed.
    We claim universal credits due to low income.
    We have a 16 month old baby.
    Since returning to work after maternity leave ii have struggled to look after my baby and generate income. I am potentially looking at ceasing trading.
    Would i be penalised by universal credits for voluntarily leaving my work even though I am barely earning anything? And would i then have to claim JSA and go and sign on etc even though i have a baby to care for?
    Any advice appreciated, thank you
Page 1
    • paulamcb
    • By paulamcb 26th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paulamcb
    • 26th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 26th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    Anyone any ideas?
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 26th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2,151 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 26th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    • 26th Jan 18, 9:33 AM
    I would think you should be placed in this UC group, as the child's main carer:

"Work-focused interview requirement only
    You will be placed in this group if you are responsible for a child aged one or you are a foster carer for a child under 16, or 18 if the child has extra care needs

If you are in this group you will be required to stay in touch with the labour market by attending work-focused interviews. These are regular interviews to discuss plans and opportunities for returning to work in the future.

You will not be required to apply for, or take up a job, or engage in work preparation activity."

So, should not be subject to sanction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,935Users online

Martin's Twitter