Global technology found.Am I too late?

Comments

• Surely a gobal tech tracker is the safest out of all tech investments? I favour the legal and general one. Ultimately the word needs tech so I don't see why it would be high risk. Computer software is used for almost every business and if there is another tech crash it will eventually recover.
  • coastline
    coastline Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sixpence. wrote: »
    Surely a gobal tech tracker is the safest out of all tech investments? I favour the legal and general one. Ultimately the word needs tech so I don't see why it would be high risk. Computer software is used for almost every business and if there is another tech crash it will eventually recover.

I've looked at that myself and if you'd bought the Nasdaq 100 tracker there's no difference in performance over 5 years.
    In the link below add the Index Nasdaq 100 and the Ishares tracker CNX1.
    Regarding a crash you can see it happened over a few years and not overnight.

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/f/fidelity-global-technology-a-gbp-income-inclusive/charts

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/NASDAQ-100-1985to2015.svg
  • coastline wrote: »
    I've looked at that myself and if you'd bought the Nasdaq 100 tracker there's no difference in performance over 5 years.
    In the link below add the Index Nasdaq 100 and the Ishares tracker CNX1.
    Regarding a crash you can see it happened over a few years and not overnight.

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/f/fidelity-global-technology-a-gbp-income-inclusive/charts

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/NASDAQ-100-1985to2015.svg

Sure but what is your point re buying? Are you saying it's a high risk sector through and through.
  • coastline
    coastline Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:53PM
    Sure but what is your point re buying? Are you saying it's a high risk sector through and through.

As posted earlier a 5% allocation is probably enough in the sector.
    All down to yourself really regarding volatility but it was possible to sell in the last downturn as it didn't collapse overnight.

Looking at the forward earnings of the Nasdaq 100 it is in a far healthier position than the 1998-2000 boom years. Given that the chances of a massive crash are probably much less.

http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3021-peyield.html

I highlighted the tracker as it has full replication and stands at £1.2bn market capitalisation which should give it the liquidity you might need.?

https://www.justetf.com/uk/etf-profile.html?isin=IE00B53SZB19
  • sixpence.
    sixpence. Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    coastline wrote: »
    As posted earlier a 5% allocation is probably enough in the sector.
    All down to yourself really regarding volatility but it was possible to sell in the last downturn as it didn't collapse overnight.

Do you mean 5% of an entire portfolio or that 5% of your porfolio would be a tech fund? For example, the VLS 100 portfolio is 15% tech overall.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Tech has had and it looks like it will continue to have strong earnings. Tech now is VERY different to tech in 2000. Companies are actually generating profits this time and they are growing profits a lot too.

Also there are different types of tech companies. Amazon is very different to apple which is very different to google. Something like amazon isn't even regarded as "tech" - its a consumer cyclical stock which makes sense as it generates by far most of its revenues through ecommerce.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    economic wrote: »
    Tech has had and it looks like it will continue to have strong earnings. Tech now is VERY different to tech in 2000. Companies are actually generating profits this time and they are growing profits a lot too.

Also there are different types of tech companies. Amazon is very different to apple which is very different to google. Something like amazon isn't even regarded as "tech" - its a consumer cyclical stock which makes sense as it generates by far most of its revenues through ecommerce.

I agree with you about Amazon not being a technology company, and would argue that the same could apply to Google and Facebook which as far as their profitable business goes major in selling advertising space.

Is there any reason why an investor should buy funds that have large holdings in these companies in order to benefit from the supposed AI and block chain revolutions? Perhaps there should be a separate sector for companies that do almost all of their business online as they are very different to those that focus on the development of technology.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you mean 5% of an entire portfolio or that 5% of your porfolio would be a tech fund? For example, the VLS 100 portfolio is 15% tech overall.

You will hold different sectors through natural diversification. By holding a specific tech fund, you are intentionally boosting one particular sector at the expense of all the others.

Plus, people picking VLS100 are not the type that would pick a tech fund. It is an illogical pairing and would suggest a confused investor.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dunstonh wrote: »

Plus, people picking VLS100 are not the type that would pick a tech fund. It is an illogical pairing and would suggest a confused investor.

Do you mean that few investors would want to combine a low-volatility investment with a rather high-volatility one? Because that pairing would make a lot of sense to me, and I like to think that I know what I am doing: a core-satellite approach, choosing a core to provide reasonable safety and a number of different satellites to provide the possibility of high returns (and equally the chance of substantial losses). Or have I got it wrong somewhere?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you mean that few investors would want to combine a low-volatility investment with a rather high-volatility one? Because that pairing would make a lot of sense to me, and I like to think that I know what I am doing: a core-satellite approach, choosing a core to provide reasonable safety and a number of different satellites to provide the possibility of high returns (and equally the chance of substantial losses). Or have I got it wrong somewhere?

VLS is aimed at people at that believe in the passive philosophy. If you start making management decisions to involve more expensive and niche funds that bust the asset allocation then how does that fit with the passive philosophy?

I understand the core and satellite approach. However, that would typically involve multiple satellite funds to get you to the asset allocation you are after. I don't see VLS100 plus a tech fund as being similar to a typical core and satellite investor.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure