Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • donmaico
    • By donmaico 10th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    • 313Posts
    • 38Thanks
    donmaico
    Global technology found.Am I too late?
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    Global technology found.Am I too late? 10th Jan 18 at 10:31 PM
    I can't find any threads regarding Global Tech funds and I was wondering why. I have a very cautious portfolio and thought about investing in tech fund as well just to pep things up a bit but the obvious lack of enthusiasm here got me wondering if they are considered far too risky
    Last edited by donmaico; 11-01-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Page 4
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 13th Jan 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    i am all for it if thats what someone wants and have done.Think i was looking more from an IFA or even a fund platform Q&A point of view that if they recommend VLS 20/40 they would probably not then offer say PCT as they would think it outside the risk profile and would not see it as a punt/fun which DIY you may
    Originally posted by firestone
    Combining VLS20/40 with a high risk active fund does indeed seem a bit odd. That said, someone might wish to partition a fund into short and long term pots, with the latter intended for use in ten+ years time and hence it can be more adventurous. Whether there are good arguments against this, I know not.
    • donmaico
    • By donmaico 13th Jan 18, 9:10 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    donmaico
    Combining VLS20/40 with a high risk active fund does indeed seem a bit odd. That said, someone might wish to partition a fund into short and long term pots, with the latter intended for use in ten+ years time and hence it can be more adventurous. Whether there are good arguments against this, I know not.
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    that is pretty much what I had in mind myself but it doesn't seem to tie in with conventional thinking
    Argentine by birth,English by nature
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 13th Jan 18, 9:38 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    some do the same with cash and put say 5-10% in P2P
    Originally posted by firestone
    Well obviously when you rephrase it in such terms, it is not a good idea. I was commenting on the idea of having more risky active funds alongside a core VLS100 fund. Those funds could be chosen 'wisely' for want of a better word. I can't say I am aware of any media hype over tech funds, but then again maybe I don't use the same media as yourself.
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    VLS is aimed at people at that believe in the passive philosophy. If you start making management decisions to involve more expensive and niche funds that bust the asset allocation then how does that fit with the passive philosophy?

I understand the core and satellite approach. However, that would typically involve multiple satellite funds to get you to the asset allocation you are after. I don't see VLS100 plus a tech fund as being similar to a typical core and satellite investor.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Just checking my own knowledge as a passive investor who wants to educate himself in how people construct their own portfolios from an interest pov. Would the other argument to this be that Vls is overweight in the s and p500 which is dominated by the major tech businesses anyway?
    • A_T
    • By A_T 13th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    A_T
    If anything VLS is underweight the S&P500 which occupies a larger proportion of the global market than Vanguard allocate.
    • donmaico
    • By donmaico 14th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    donmaico
    When one uses this comparator https://www.fidelity.co.uk/clients/chart-and-compare it is very tempting to think that replacing what is generally considered a cautious fund with one which is much more exciting, can only be to an investor's benefit.The two funds I compared were Liontrust UK smaller companies which over the last year has grown by 25%, and Blackrock Consensus 35 Acc which has grown by a measly 2%.
    Then when one uses Calculator soup's investment calculator covering a period of five years and then 10, it just seems a no-brainer. A 5000 lump sum deposit followed by monthly instalments of 100 assuming an annual growth of 25% which is based on past performance
    a)29000
    b)111500 approx

Having said that, wiser people than myself will advise me to stay well clear because of the risk factor whilst patience is required with regards to the Blackrock fund
    Last edited by donmaico; 14-01-2018 at 3:04 PM.
    Argentine by birth,English by nature
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,645Users online

Martin's Twitter