Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Drluvpants
    • By Drluvpants 10th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Drluvpants
    Solicitor blunder - help
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:52 PM
    Solicitor blunder - help 10th Jan 18 at 9:52 PM
    Hey folks.

Needing a little advice around whether my solicitor had been negligent in requesting my remortgage too early...here's the story.

I called a new solicitor to advise the I was coming to end of my mortgage deal with Natwest and I wanted to transfer to Virgin. He gave a quote and it seemed reasonable and i proceeded to fill out the details of the transfer which was very basic in terms of personal info and existing mortgage details. I sent the forms back and with a week he completed the transaction without even speaking to me about any of the additional detail such as when I wanted it to completed or to confirm authorisation. As it turns out that he redeemed it 2 weeks ahead of when the current deal was going to end hence I got a 400 redemption fee added on.

The solicitor said I didn't tell him "by email" about a specific date, even tho I was clear (on the phone) that my existing deal was coming to an end at the end of the year.

I am arguing that he didn't request any details about dates or even speak to me about the specifics before proceeding with the redemption and he owed a duty of care to fully check the details before proceeding. I have argued that surely a firm completing hundred of remortgages would request this detail rather than just firing ahead and blindly redeeming mortgages.

As part of the information requested by the solicitor it didn't ask about a date so I didn't send one assuming that the solicitor would make contact again before going ahead. I don't unfortunately have an email with a specific date as it was very limited in terms of information exchange i.e here's a quote and some forms...speak to you in a week.

Appreciate if anyone can help or had a similar situation.

Thanks in advance.

Pete.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 7,863 Posts
    • 8,040 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    Did they forward the redemption statement to you before completing?
    • Drluvpants
    • By Drluvpants 10th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drluvpants
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    hi david. no...i didnt get this.
    • Mortgage_Adviser
    • By Mortgage_Adviser 11th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Mortgage_Adviser
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    Make a formal complain to them as a starting point. If you are not happy with the response, take them to Legal Ombudsman.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,062Posts Today

5,320Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin