Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 10th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3,079Posts
    • 1,223Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Using old fence slats to board loft
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    Using old fence slats to board loft 10th Jan 18 at 8:01 PM
    Hi everyone

My fence kept blowing down every time I bodged it up so I think its time to get hit&miss panels and concrete in more posts

So I took apart the old panels, if only so they'd fit in my car and I could have the nails, but my loft needs boarding, so I thought i could use these slasts for that, I realise it wouldn't be great for bearing weight so I'd only use these around the periphery where nobody could stand up or put much, also I'd put them horizontally so any weight on an area is spread over more slats

Sound like a plan or too risky?
    I thought proper boarding looked a but pricy
Page 2
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 11th Jan 18, 2:15 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 1,633 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Yeah. I wasnít being serious.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Mmmm, I don't think anyone on this thread was, were they? Still, made I larf!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 25,293 Posts
    • 93,025 Thanks
    Davesnave
    More insulation a worthy idea, although I do need the storage for the wife's "homeware", I read you can get supports that fit onto the joists to allow you to board higher up.
    Originally posted by MatthewAinsworth
    Well you can, but I've devised a way of suspending shelving from the roof trusses in my loft. OK, so long as the things one needs to store aren't too heavy.

How heavy are 'homewares?' I'm not even sure what they are!

As for polystyrene packaging filler, that's going to be verboten soon, I'm sure, especially as there's now a corn starch alternative ....

New concept: open your Amazon parcel, examine the goods then eat the packaging for breakfast. Makes perfect sense!
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 11th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 12,536 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    Don't take the !!!! out of the OP, in essence it's sound.

However it won't last long.
    I did the same but I used my concrete fence panels, bit heavy but they aren't going to give me splinters.

I thought the thermal insulation may be lagging soI applied 1mm polystyrene then overlayed with 100mm RMC.

Not wishing to butt into anyone else's thread but I am considering converting my house into a bungalow, possibly with a basement, I still have some fence panels left and.................................
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
    • clairesilverspar
    • By clairesilverspar 11th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    clairesilverspar
    You could use them to build a wobbly built in wardrobe, that's what the previous owners of my house did.
    It has a certain 'shabby chic' thing going for it, which was clearly the decorating 'style'. Until you try to open the wardrobe that is and the door wobbles all over the place.

They also used an untreated wooden board as a base for the fireplace.
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 11th Jan 18, 4:02 PM
    • 3,340 Posts
    • 4,092 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    You could use them to build a wobbly built in wardrobe, that's what the previous owners of my house did.
    It has a certain 'shabby chic' thing going for it, which was clearly the decorating 'style'. Until you try to open the wardrobe that is and the door wobbles all over the place.

They also used an untreated wooden board as a base for the fireplace.
    Originally posted by clairesilverspar
    I know someone who laid laminate around a freestanding wardrobe in a room, the logic was that they had screwed it to the wall, so it was now "built in". I had to shake my head and walk away...
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 5,240 Posts
    • 24,218 Thanks
    Slinky
    A previous owner of our house ripped up floorboards in the bathroom, badly, chiseled bits off the joists then relaid the floorboards and attempted to plane the ends of the boards at the original heights to slope down to the new height. Then he relaid the underlay and carpet on top of this lot. His purpose? To create some sort of mat well so the bathroom door didn't catch on the mat. Why he didn't plane off the bottom of the bathroom door goodness only knows.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,539Posts Today

8,282Users online

Martin's Twitter