Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 10th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 71Thanks
    CommyTooper
    Workplace pension
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    Workplace pension 10th Jan 18 at 7:53 PM
    Many thanks for replies to my earlier question. Having taken the matter further at work, here is were I am for now.

My employer claims that they were under no obligation to start it on my start date, April 2017, and had a three month ‘opt out’ period. I have nothing in writing, but at my initial interview I asked if I would be in the workplace pension from day one.....this was agreed.
    My work is classed as ‘term time only’ employment, so it was not until the start of the September academic year that deductions started.
    I believe that deductions are on gross earnings, so I was surprised when deductions were not what I expected. Now they say that is not the case, and the first £113 per week is not counted......is this correct? I know this is the case before NICS are deducted, but wasn’t expecting the same with workplace.
    Many thanks.
Page 1
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 11th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    CommyTooper
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    !!!8221;based on your total earnings between £5,876 and £45,000 a year before tax!!!8221;. I believe I misread this, and missed the !!!8220;between!!!8221; bit. So I have answered one of my questions.

Is it the case I cannot do anything about the three month delay, despite them promising to make payments and deductions at interview from day one? It does feel that it!!!8217;s a case of !!!8216;he sez, she sez!!!8217; without anything to prove my claim they gave me such an assurance.

On a broader note it seems that many others are having battles with employers on this scheme.
    • greatkingrat
    • By greatkingrat 11th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    greatkingrat
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    As a general rule, under autoenrolment legislation, companies can legally postpone autoenrolling staff for up to three months after their start date. However they should have written to you to state that your autoenrolment was being delayed. Did they do that?

As for any promises made in interview, unless it is actually written in your contract that you will join the pension scheme from day 1, I think it will be difficult to prove what was or wasn't said.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Jan 18, 4:30 AM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:30 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:30 AM
    Unfortunately autoenrolment is not going to turn out to be the great "lets make sure everyone gets a pension" that most people think it is going to be. Firstly, it is never going to be enough to fund a retirement as no-ones contributions are going to be large enough. Especially for those on low pay whose employers use the under NIC lower limit. This should never have been allowed & is going to lead to many people who think they have a pension sorted (after all that is what the gov said) getting quite franklly b***** all.
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 12th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    CommyTooper
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    No, I was not informed that I would have to wait due to them deferring auto enrolment, so I will be pushing for that.
    I was previously auto enrolled in another job. Deductions from day one without asking, so I have assumed same now......I hope others are more diligent than me if changing jobs, and check.
    I will need to check, but I am positive that the 1% was deducted on gross in my former job.

The only reason I went with the scheme, is because I had the option of ‘cashing out’ if it wasn’t a good investment......I am way past 55. Otherwise I don’t think I would have risked a pension if I was at the other end of my working life.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 1,714 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    Paying into a pension isn't a risk. It is the assuming that that pension will be sufficient that is the risk. With some methods of autoenrolment it is a dire risk. To be paying in only a total of 8% by aged 24 will not fund anybody's comfortable retirement & it is misleading people to allow them to think otherwise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,112Posts Today

6,775Users online

Martin's Twitter