Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katieg88
    • By katieg88 10th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    katieg88
    Dimplex storage heaters
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    Dimplex storage heaters 10th Jan 18 at 7:26 PM
    Hi everyone

I moved to a flat with Dimplex storage heaters in September (model xt24) which were probably installed in the 80s. We were told they charged during the night and so have economy 7 electricity tariff. However our first electricity was ridiculously high and we have discovered the heaters are charging during the day.

There is no timer on the heaters so they just charge as soon as your turn them on at the wall.Can anyone tell me how to get them to charge at night?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 8,180 Posts
    • 9,061 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    They should be supplied from an off-peak consumer unit which is only live at off-peak times.

The off-peak consumer unit will be supplied from an off-peak only supply from a combined meter/teleswitch or from a teleswitch or from a timeswitch.

The first two are controlled by the electricity network operator, the timeswitch is your responsibility and you need to check that it's set to the correct current time and the off and on times correspond to your off-peak tariff hours.

Other things to check are your immersion heater control arrangements, and that the bill has the correct off-peak and peak readings corresponding to the meter. Sometimes bill readings get reversed.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    Hi everyone

I moved to a flat with Dimplex storage heaters in September (model xt24) which were probably installed in the 80s. We were told they charged during the night and so have economy 7 electricity tariff. However our first electricity was ridiculously high and we have discovered the heaters are charging during the day.

There is no timer on the heaters so they just charge as soon as your turn them on at the wall.Can anyone tell me how to get them to charge at night?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by katieg88
    Consult a qualified electrician

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 10-01-2018 at 8:10 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,889Posts Today

8,247Users online

Martin's Twitter