Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wbbigdave
    • By wbbigdave 10th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    wbbigdave
    Brtania Parking Portswood Southampton POPLA process
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    Brtania Parking Portswood Southampton POPLA process 10th Jan 18 at 6:27 PM
    Hello MSE forum!

So I have been through the processes to appeal a PCN from Britania parking, I used the Newbie thread advice, and subsequent POPLA advice to submit my appeal. I have had comments now added by Britania to the POPLA appeal. They believe me to be the driver (I have never said I was) they have sent through all the documentation they have sent me including the original PCN letter, the follow up to my original appeal and photographs of their signage.

My question is, what should be my next move? I am certain I shouldn't be paying this but right now I have my wife breathing down my neck to get this paid before it gets expensive. It is January ya know.

I can't post the photo of the signage they sent
Page 1
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 10th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    It won!!!8217;t get any more expensive

If they!!!8217;ve asserted you are the driver, yet no admission has been made, then you need to add a comment to that effect. Portal says how.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 7,694 Posts
    • 7,407 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    So PoPLA have invited you to respond the the PPC's evidence?

You must do this. You have seven days to do this.
    If you don't, you will lose the appeal.

You need to read all the operator's comments and strongly challenge every single one.

Stick Britannia popla rebuttal into the forum's search facility, choose Show Posts and you will find other people's rebuttal attempts.
    Last edited by KeithP; 10-01-2018 at 6:35 PM.
    • wbbigdave
    • By wbbigdave 10th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wbbigdave
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    I believe they are using the wording in the PCN

"If you were not the driver of the vehicle at the time, you should tell us the current postal address of the driver and pass this notice to them"

Also they are quoting sections of the BPA code on signage. Again I would upload the photo but alas I am unable to. I can't lie I am feeling a little out of my depth here.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jan 18, 11:00 PM
    • 58,461 Posts
    • 71,972 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:00 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:00 PM
    You won't be paying a penny, you know, even if you lose at POPLA! It's only Britannia, LOL.

They might win at POPLA, if this was an ANPR camera PCN (was it?) but so what really, no-one pays these.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• wbbigdave
    • By wbbigdave 11th Jan 18, 6:49 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wbbigdave
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:49 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:49 AM
    Yea it was anpr. Definitely time stamped.

So at the moment I am thinking the following.

They have said in their comments that they believe me to be the driver because the records on the pcn match the dvla keeper records. This does not constitute a NTK or appropriate process. Secondly the signage they have shown photographs of are actually two differing signs. One which has a charge of 85 one of 100. Ostensibly the 100 (I believe to be the more up to date one) uses a confusing array of fonts, sizes and layout. They are also placed either high up on walls or on a roundabout in the car park. This roundabout, whilst being within sight line whilst driving into the car park, is not an ideal place to put suck a sign, given that a driver has to be more aware of traffic movement at said roundabout and has to make a sharp left hand turn.

But what is your opinions?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 11th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,759 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    They believe youre the driver because...the DVLA says youre the keeper? That is a complete load of tosh, and they know it.

You need to
    a) point out that their own evidence is misleading and should not be beleived - it cannot both be 85 and 100
    b) that even if POPLA ignores this fact, the signage cannot meet the clear standards as set out in PE vs Beavis, and so the signage is inadequate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,365Posts Today

7,397Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin