Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mexas
    • By Mexas 10th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 152Posts
    • 110Thanks
    Mexas
    Insurance Disclosure
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    Insurance Disclosure 10th Jan 18 at 5:22 PM
    Searched but couldn't find anything similar.

My insurance renewal is due on the 5th Feb, I have a fault claim from 6th Feb 2015 that will expire the day after the new policy starts. The difference in price between declaring it and not is about £300, whats the best/legal way of dealing with the new quote?

Do i have to wait until 7th Feb before getting a quote? I can honestly say at that point i haven't had an accident in the last 3 years.

I can leave my car in the garage for a couple of days so I don't really need continuous insurance (from the 5th).

I hope that lot makes sense.
Page 1
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 10th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    I think that legally you have to have it insured unless you have declared it SORN. There is a (slim) chance that you could find yourself in trouble by doing what you propose.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 10th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    Presumably you can cancel and restart the road tax if you leave it in a garage or off road by declaring a SORN for a couple of days - and just don't drive it. Seems like a bit of hassle though.

On that point note that some insurers cancel/suspend your insurance after an accident where they intend to write it off. In some cases this is just because the car is old - so its not cost effective to repair it - even though it may be perfectly driveable (although you wouldn't drive it without insurance).

So while you are waiting for them to handle the claim and you aren't insured (i.e. waiting for them to pick up the car) are you breaking the law - even if its in a secure garage or parking bay?
    Last edited by Rich2808; 10-01-2018 at 8:07 PM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 35,856 Posts
    • 20,091 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:25 PM

Do i have to wait until 7th Feb before getting a quote? I can honestly say at that point i haven't had an accident in the last 3 years.....
    Originally posted by Mexas
    If you are meaning to start your new policy on 7th Feb, then you can get quotes for that date now (you disclose your history as it will be on that day)
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 35,856 Posts
    • 20,091 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:29 PM
    I think that legally you have to have it insured unless you have declared it SORN. There is a (slim) chance that you could find yourself in trouble by doing what you propose.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    There is no chance of trouble from the govt by leaving it uninsured 2 days - you get a "reminder" to insure an uninsured car first before any penalty comes if you ignore the reminder (which won't come in just 2 days!)

("Trouble" is possible if the car is stolen/burnt out etc whilst off the road uninsured)
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 10th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    Getting quotes just now declaring an accident in November 2015.
    It's not making much odds now to be honest, not that it ever did.
    Best quote is £20 cheaper than last year
    • Mexas
    • By Mexas 11th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Mexas
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    Thanks everyone. I think ill risk it and leave it uninsured and in the garage for 2 days.

I quoted with and without, price with was £620 and without £350. So definitely worth for me anyways.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,063Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter