Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trebormint
    • By Trebormint 10th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Trebormint
    Property Access
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    Property Access 10th Jan 18 at 4:05 PM
    Can the administrator of a will deny access to beneficiaries regarding the property?

I am now the administrator and am concerned that my siblings will enter the property and take items so I want to secure the house and change the locks

Is this legal?
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 29,366 Posts
    • 74,971 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    Can the administrator of a will deny access to beneficiaries regarding the property?

I am now the administrator and am concerned that my siblings will enter the property and take items so I want to secure the house and change the locks

Is this legal?
    Originally posted by Trebormint
    Of course. The beneficiaries don't have any right to remove goods.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 10th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    If you are the administrator you have a duty to protect the estate's assets.
    So, yes, changing the locks is the most appropriate thing to do.......do it without delay (emergency locksmith and charge it to the estate).

Out of courtesy, you could inform the beneficiaries but you don't have to. Just saves them hassling you when they turn up for the goodies and can't get in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

749Posts Today

6,944Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Today's twitter poll: Should cannabis be legalised, for medical (via prescription) use, and/or adult's recreational use?

• Follow Martin