Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 10th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 833Posts
    • 848Thanks
    Margot123
    Buyer's mail arriving - not even exchanged contracts yet!
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    Buyer's mail arriving - not even exchanged contracts yet! 10th Jan 18 at 2:27 PM
    My buyers have been delaying for around 6 months now.
    Their solicitor said yesterday that they cannot exchange/complete within the next 6 weeks.

Yet, today, post has started arriving for them at the property. I have told no one their details, so it's a mystery.
    BUT if they want to start paying all the bills,that'll be fine by me

Anyone else had this with buyers?
Page 2
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 11th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,927 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I think different places handle their electoral roll in wildly different ways, in terms of efficiency if nothing else.

Every bit of post that comes to my house gets opened. I want to know what my address is being used for.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 11th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Margot123
    All is revealed.........

The buyers are playing some sort of silly game.
    Having all their post sent to the address so that a completion date appears imminent AND then attempt to get a further reduction on the already reduced price!

I've given them a week to pay up or take a running jump. What fools, I could now ask for more money as they've kindly put the idea in my head.
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 11th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    rtho782
    I' say G_M has a very good point
    If you are receiving mail, and particularly council tax bills that has all the hallmarks of potential fraud - once they are on the council tax register their names will show up when any credit searches are done allowing them all sorts of access to financial services.
    I would open what you think is the council tax bill - if it is contact the council and get them removed off the property. Also check the voting register to see if they have put themselves on that and, if so, get them removed.
    Simply sending mail back will not necessarily stop them if it is fraud - you need to be pro active.
    I would open ALL mail they receive as this may give you a better insight into what they are upto -
    Originally posted by lotteryman

The name on the council tax bill is in no way linked to anyone's credit file. You are confusing and conflating this with the electoral role which is entirely separate.

Opening someones mail is an offence.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: 13,000 / 15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: 6,000 / 7,500
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 6,333 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    The name on the council tax bill is in no way linked to anyone's credit file. You are confusing and conflating this with the electoral role which is entirely separate.

Originally posted by rtho782
    If you are asked for proof of address and you want to commit a fraud all you have to do is to hand over a bill with your name and someone else's address on it.

In the past it has been possible to open bank accounts using bills with your name and address on it.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 5,272 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I applied during this period and got a letter saying that due to the annual update I would not be added until December! It has only now appeared that I am registered on my credit files!!!
    Originally posted by aneary
    You would have been added within about three weeks, but the monthly alterations to the register are not published in the month when the annual register is published, or in the two months prior.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 3,836 Posts
    • 5,272 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I think different places handle their electoral roll in wildly different ways, in terms of efficiency if nothing else.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    I have no doubt that councils vary in performance and efficiency, but they all have to work to the same standards in this area. The deadline for inclusion in a register is six working days plus fourteen calendar days before the end of the month.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 11th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Slithery
    No, it really isn't.

It's only an offence if you open someone else's mail with the intention of defrauding them.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 11th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 5,388 Posts
    • 7,020 Thanks
    pimento

They've got to catch you.

I've had two bits of mail recently to my address for a bloke I've never heard of. I'm only the 3rd owner of the house and he definitely wasn't one of the previous owners. I've lived here 16 years.
    I opened both. One was thanking him for taking out insurance on his new o2 mobile phone contract and the other was from Wonga offering him another loan. The Wonga letter included his email address so I searched for that on Facebook and found the guy. A further search on 192.com told me his real address (he has a very unusual name which is unique in the UK) which is 40 miles from me.
    I advised Wonga and o2 of his real address.

If they want to lock me up for that they can.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 11th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,927 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Oh crikey! Should I be living in fear of prosecution for my letter opening misdeeds?

If someone's using my address I want to know what they're using it for.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 3,580 Thanks
    cjdavies
    All is revealed.........

The buyers are playing some sort of silly game.
    Having all their post sent to the address so that a completion date appears imminent AND then attempt to get a further reduction on the already reduced price!

I've given them a week to pay up or take a running jump. What fools, I could now ask for more money as they've kindly put the idea in my head.
    Originally posted by Margot123

Any mail would now be return to sender.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 7,806 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Oh crikey! Should I be living in fear of prosecution for my letter opening misdeeds?

Merely opening mail which has been addressed (and delivered) to your address is not an offence (though it is of course criminal to then commit fraud with or steal any items).

The relevant mail opening offences only apply to post which hasn't been delivered to the correct address (either because it's been delivered to a wrong address or is still in the postal system).
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 11th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Margot123

I would have thought suspecting a fraud may occur/be occurring is a legitimate reason for opening mail arriving at your address to someone you don't know.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 11th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I applied during this period and got a letter saying that due to the annual update I would not be added until December! It has only now appeared that I am registered on my credit files!!!
    Originally posted by aneary
    The update to credit files is made from the published register and so isn't updated during this period, but had an election been called during that time then you would have found that you were in fact registered to vote.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    Margot123
    More mail arriving and no response as yet to telling them to 'go away' with their last minute lower offer.
    Even the EA says they are a 'strange couple'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,867Users online

Martin's Twitter