Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 10th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 842Posts
    • 865Thanks
    Margot123
    Buyer's mail arriving - not even exchanged contracts yet!
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    Buyer's mail arriving - not even exchanged contracts yet! 10th Jan 18 at 2:27 PM
    My buyers have been delaying for around 6 months now.
    Their solicitor said yesterday that they cannot exchange/complete within the next 6 weeks.

Yet, today, post has started arriving for them at the property. I have told no one their details, so it's a mystery.
    BUT if they want to start paying all the bills,that'll be fine by me

Anyone else had this with buyers?
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 10th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    aneary
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    There was a thread recently about this I would check your internet/sky/virgin sub to make sure they haven't tried to set that up too.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 10th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:30 PM
    In the past we had some mail arrive for a potential buyer,it looked to be as a result of a possible home insurance quote they did on the property,and then managed to get on a few mailing lists.

Either return it "not at this address" or leave it in a pile on the side for when they eventually move in.
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 46 T 33 F 39
    2017 -32
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    • 44,415 Posts
    • 52,721 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    Depending how paranoid you are, it might be worth keeping an eye on your credit reports just on the offchance they are using your address for taking out loans, or for ID theft.

Othherwise do as needananswer suggests.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 10th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    Depending how paranoid you are, it might be worth keeping an eye on your credit reports just on the offchance they are using your address for taking out loans, or for ID theft.

Othherwise do as needananswer suggests.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Solicitors are trying to get answers as I write.

The thought had crossed my mind that this could be some kind of scam as the property is unoccupied. A Council Tax bill has arrived today addressed to them (not opened it but looks like one).
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 44,415 Posts
    • 52,721 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    Solicitors are trying to get answers as I write.

The thought had crossed my mind that this could be some kind of scam as the property is unoccupied. A Council Tax bill has arrived today addressed to them (not opened it but looks like one).
    Originally posted by Margot123
    Hmm.. Send it to them and with luck they'll pay your CT for you......
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 10th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    They are more than welcome to all the bills. Empty properties cost just as much to run as occupied ones!
    • lotteryman
    • By lotteryman 10th Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    lotteryman
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    I' say G_M has a very good point
    If you are receiving mail, and particularly council tax bills that has all the hallmarks of potential fraud - once they are on the council tax register their names will show up when any credit searches are done allowing them all sorts of access to financial services.
    I would open what you think is the council tax bill - if it is contact the council and get them removed off the property. Also check the voting register to see if they have put themselves on that and, if so, get them removed.
    Simply sending mail back will not necessarily stop them if it is fraud - you need to be pro active.
    I would open ALL mail they receive as this may give you a better insight into what they are upto -
    • aneary
    • By aneary 10th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    aneary
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    It can take months to get on the register, so I would be wary but don't panic.

I moved in July and only got on the register in Dec when they did their yearly update.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 6,351 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Take the mail to your solicitor or post it and request that your solicitor returns it to them because they haven't yet exchanged and it could all fall through.
    • lotteryman
    • By lotteryman 10th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    lotteryman
    the fact that it's been going on for 6 months has given them plenty of time to get up to no good!

I always adopt a 'plan for the worst, hope for the best' approach.
    What reason has their solicitor given for the delay ?

Might be worth doing a few checks on your own
    Last edited by lotteryman; 10-01-2018 at 6:16 PM.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 10th Jan 18, 6:40 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    Margot123
    I'm contacting the council in the morning to let them know the buyers haven't signed anything yet.

I've had Land Registry alerts set up for months now so hopefully they would flag anything up.

I know it could be something perfectly innocent such as calling to check how much CT they'd be paying and then the council sending mail to their 'future address' but I'm erring on the side of caution with this.
    • spendinglikemad
    • By spendinglikemad 10th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    spendinglikemad
    We had the same - not as much delay but received a letter to our address with new owners name setting up their energy account so I called to say we hadn't exchanged so it needed to be declined. Then we received a letter from our supplier saying we were going to switch so I had to make sure that was cancelled too - I told my solicitor and she is making the vendors solicitor aware not to make any further arrangements until exchange date agreed.

I was concerned about fraud so I opened the letter - hubby says I shouldn't but I did anyway!!

SLM
    Family of 4 plus cat & pup!
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 10th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    It can take months to get on the register, so I would be wary but don't panic.

I moved in July and only got on the register in Dec when they did their yearly update.
    Originally posted by aneary
    Electoral registers are updated every month. If you informed the local authority in July then the latest that you would have been added to the register is the end of August.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 37,305 Posts
    • 157,155 Thanks
    silvercar
    I once received mail from a buyer that had pulled out. On reading the letter it turned out they had used my address to get their child into a nearby school, when they didn't gain a place they pulled.

Gave me great pleasure to send the letter back to the school with a note that they had never lived at the address and I suspected fraud. That was their place on the waiting list lost.

Pure karma!
    • marlasinger
    • By marlasinger 10th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    marlasinger
    In the past we had some mail arrive for a potential buyer,it looked to be as a result of a possible home insurance quote they did on the property,and then managed to get on a few mailing lists.
    Originally posted by need an answer
    This happened to us, when we bought our house. Our home insurance documents went to the house we were buying, even though I don't think we had exchanged at that point either. I didn't think to make sure the insurance company sent it to the address we were currently living at. Our seller ended up just returning them to the sender.
    marlasinger

• aneary
    • By aneary 10th Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    aneary
    Electoral rolls are not updated monthly there is a four month period when they do their annual update if you apply during this period it takes months.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 10th Jan 18, 10:36 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Electoral rolls are not updated monthly there is a four month period when they do their annual update if you apply during this period it takes months.
    Originally posted by aneary
    Not true. Electoral registers are updated monthly. This is a requirement to ensure that nobody can be left off the register due to movement should an election be called outside of the normal timeframe. The annual register is different form the register of electors that is maintained for the purposes of issuing ballots. The local authorities do not publish a new monthly register in the period you outline, but they do update the register with new electors.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 11th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    Margot123
    If it is true that the electoral role can be updated so quickly, what was to prevent the buyers (or anyone for that matter) registering at the address months ago when the property went on the market.

The mail is checked almost daily, and I'm sure something would have arrived by now.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 11th Jan 18, 9:27 AM
    • 887 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    aneary
    Not true. Electoral registers are updated monthly. This is a requirement to ensure that nobody can be left off the register due to movement should an election be called outside of the normal timeframe. The annual register is different form the register of electors that is maintained for the purposes of issuing ballots. The local authorities do not publish a new monthly register in the period you outline, but they do update the register with new electors.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    I applied during this period and got a letter saying that due to the annual update I would not be added until December! It has only now appeared that I am registered on my credit files!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

4,834Users online

Martin's Twitter