Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sconeyj
    • By Sconeyj 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 55Thanks
    Sconeyj
    NatWest 125 switch incentive
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    NatWest 125 switch incentive 10th Jan 18 at 1:56 PM
    Just as I thought I'd exhausted every bank...up pops NatWest with a switch offer! 125 for switching, and no direct debits required. All you need to do is:
    • switch a non-NatWest account
    • deposit 1,500
    All before 16 March (although you need to apply for the account by 16 February).

Happy days!
Page 91
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 13th Apr 18, 7:10 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Hattie625
    Whilst there are still five hours left, and the money may go through literally at the last second, I do wonder if it was ever wise for them to leave it so late and therefore at a point which wouldn't allow any slack in the system in case something goes wrong or there's a delay in their systems.
    Originally posted by S_uk
    Agreed. Worth remembering that it was this banking group's incompetence that almost destroyed the UK economy in 2008.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Whilst there are still five hours left, and the money may go through literally at the last second, I do wonder if it was ever wise for them to leave it so late and therefore at a point which wouldn't allow any slack in the system in case something goes wrong or there's a delay in their systems.
    Originally posted by S_uk
    They started paying out on Tuesday, so not late. But maybe a sign they have problems.

A competent bank would have run a batch job overnight on Wednesday
    • mapk
    • By mapk 13th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    mapk
    NatWest normally do business online and over the phone 24 hours a day.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    24 hours a day are seemingly not enough though to do business in a timely manner
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    Nick_C
    It is quite an achievement to give away a significant amount of money to a lot of people but raise concerns about your competence at the same time.

We should have let NatWest fail instead of buying shares to prop them up.
    • NJA22
    • By NJA22 13th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    NJA22
    For those still awaiting the switching bonus and have had little interaction with the Natwest staff, it is worth clarifying that you are actually eligible...
    Just found out I'm not. Inspite of;
    -applyed for a select a/c on 14th February
    -completed a full switch (from a Nationwide current a/c) on 6th March
    -logged in to online banking
    -deposited 1,555
    I should have recorded/written down the reason they gave but it didn't make a great deal of sense. If I've not met the criteria then my fair enough my fault, but can't fathom out what it is.
    • djpailo
    • By djpailo 13th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    djpailo
    For those still awaiting the switching bonus and have had little interaction with the Natwest staff, it is worth clarifying that you are actually eligible...
    -deposited 1,555
    I should have recorded/written down the reason they gave but it didn't make a great deal of sense. If I've not met the criteria then my fair enough my fault, but can't fathom out what it is.
    Originally posted by NJA22
    You also had to deposit the money into account before a certain date, I think some time during March.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 13th Apr 18, 7:25 PM
    • 30,348 Posts
    • 18,253 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    -logged in to online banking When?
    -deposited 1,555 When?
    See questions above.

But if I didn't understand the reason they'd given I'd have asked them to explain again.
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 13th Apr 18, 7:25 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Hattie625
    -deposited 1,555
    Did you deposit the 1555 by 16 March? Contrary to what I said in an earlier post today (sorry), meeting the 16th March deadline for the deposit WAS a condition of getting the bonus.
    • leet5
    • By leet5 13th Apr 18, 7:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    leet5
    I've had a response on twitter to say they are investigating the issue
    • matrix999
    • By matrix999 13th Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    matrix999
    Just a heads up....

Complaints dept are open Saturday 14/04 08:30-14:30
    Switching Team are open Saturday 14/04 08:00-14:00

Still not received any payment yet so if not in account at some point tonight complaint will be logged tomorrow morning.

Info re opening times given by Telephone banking, advisor told me they have been inundated with calls about missing switcher bonus payments
    • NJA22
    • By NJA22 13th Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    NJA22
    You also had to deposit the money into account before a certain date, I think some time during March.
    Originally posted by djpailo
    See questions above.

But if I didn't understand the reason they'd given I'd have asked them to explain again.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Yes, should have mentioned both were done before 16th March cut off. The reasons was something to do with the switch, will re-call tomorrow for clarification.
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 13th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Hattie625
    Just a heads up....

Complaints dept are open Saturday 14/04 08:30-14:30
    Switching Team are open Saturday 14/04 08:00-14:00

Still not received any payment yet so if not in account at some point tonight complaint will be logged tomorrow morning.

Info re opening times given by Telephone banking, advisor told me they have been inundated with calls about missing switcher bonus payments
    Originally posted by matrix999
    There will be long waiting times on those numbers tomorrow morning. Might be best to hold fire and watch this thread for more info. You'll eventually get the bonus (and compensation for late payment) if you qualify (and avoid aggravation and time waste tomorrow).
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 13th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    Herbalus
    These lucky customers are in for big compensation if they have to wait until well into next week. Wish I was one of them...
    Originally posted by Hattie625
    Do you think so? How big do you think compensation will actually be, if any at all?

Full disclaimer, I am currently waiting for mine, and if it comes today, fantastic. If it comes tomorrow or next week, I am not sure what loss I have incurred by receiving 125 a few days later. It's true that NatWest would have broken their terms if they paid the bonus next Weds, and you could say they have a contractual obligation to pay punctually, but what is that delay actually worth?

At 2% it's 0.7pence per day. It might be irritating to not know when it's coming, but hardly worth serious bucks.

If I have to chase next Weds and get passed from pillar to post, then I might have a claim for being messed around, but then nobody who was paid on time had to spend any effort trying to resolve an issue.
    • matrix999
    • By matrix999 13th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    matrix999
    Do you think so? How big do you think compensation will actually be, if any at all?

Full disclaimer, I am currently waiting for mine, and if it comes today, fantastic. If it comes tomorrow or next week, I am not sure what loss I have incurred by receiving 125 a few days later. It's true that NatWest would have broken their terms if they paid the bonus next Weds, and you could say they have a contractual obligation to pay punctually, but what is that delay actually worth?

At 2% it's 0.7pence per day. It might be irritating to not know when it's coming, but hardly worth serious bucks.

If I have to chase next Weds and get passed from pillar to post, then I might have a claim for being messed around, but then nobody who was paid on time had to spend any effort trying to resolve an issue.
    Originally posted by Herbalus

Time and trouble payment, car parking if you had to go into branch to sort it out, telephone calls etc can all be claimed back as well.
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 13th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Hattie625

I predict that you will get at least 50 compensation. It's not compensation for (just) losing out on interest on the 125 but for the mental distress and annoyance.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 13th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Yes, should have mentioned both were done before 16th March cut off. The reasons was something to do with the switch, will re-call tomorrow for clarification.
    This is interesting. The terms of the offer regarding the switch were:

complete a full switch of a non-NatWest account to your eligible account using the Current Account Switch Service;
    That is quite broad in itself. There is no mention of the switched account (Nationwide in your case) having direct debits or anything. I would be interested to hear the reason.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 13th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    Herbalus
    I predict that you will get at least 50 compensation. It's not compensation for (just) losing out on interest on the 125 but for the mental distress* and annoyance.
    Originally posted by Hattie625
    *My emphasis.

Really? Can people claim mental distress for this? Isn't that a bit over the top.

Re the other poster, I would agree expenses incurred, but there's no need to visit a branch and pay for parking to resolve this.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 13th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 30,348 Posts
    • 18,253 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    The reasons was something to do with the switch...
    Were you told by Nationwide (online and by letter) that you were switching out?
    Was the Nationwide account closed on, or shortly after, switch date?
    Did NatWest send you a list of payments on the Nationwide account, that you could elect to switch or leave on Nationwide, prior to switch date?
    • matrix999
    • By matrix999 13th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    matrix999
    *My emphasis.

Really? Can people claim mental distress for this? Isn't that a bit over the top.

Re the other poster, I would agree expenses incurred, but there's no need to visit a branch and pay for parking to resolve this.

What I mean is if you already had done this then you could claim it back.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 13th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    18cc
    I think normally you can expect about 25 really without having to prove mental distress or anything like that it's just the minimum figure that they will pay you just because the complaint was upheld
    Last edited by 18cc; 14-04-2018 at 9:01 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

2,287Users online

Martin's Twitter