Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sconeyj
    • By Sconeyj 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 54Thanks
    Sconeyj
    NatWest 125 switch incentive
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    NatWest 125 switch incentive 10th Jan 18 at 1:56 PM
    Just as I thought I'd exhausted every bank...up pops NatWest with a switch offer! 125 for switching, and no direct debits required. All you need to do is:
    • switch a non-NatWest account
    • deposit 1,500
    All before 16 March (although you need to apply for the account by 16 February).

Happy days!
Page 8
    • blindman
    • By blindman 12th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 4,175 Thanks
    blindman
    Okay, so during the application they ask for my income and for the cost of my mortgage.

My income is 0 and my mortgage is 1100pm. My husband is the sole earner in our household.

Is that going to be an automatic fail? Shall I put the 190pm I get for Child Benefit (even though we pay it back)? Shall I put household income? Shall I put 0 for the mortgage?
    Originally posted by copperclock
    IMHO you should put 190 CB and 0 for the mortgage as it's obviously paid by hubby.

Mrs B applied last night and her income is 500/month (nil mortgage) and was accepted.

IMHO I do not think they care...
    • blindman
    • By blindman 12th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 4,175 Thanks
    blindman
    Has anyone doing an existing customer switch received any kind of communication?

I did it last night at about 7pm (so after the close of banking hours) and got to a confirmation screen, and took a screenshot of it, but have not had any kind of text or e-mail.
    Originally posted by gingercordial
    No, I think it's early days TBHO.

I applied last night at about 19:00
    • KTF
    • By KTF 12th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    KTF
    I really don't want to add to my collection.

Is the card reader same as Ulster bank/Tesco/Nationwide?
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    The card devices you use to log in, make payments, etc ate generic. any banks one can be used with any bank.
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 12th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    gingercordial
    No, I think it's early days TBHO.

I applied last night at about 19:00
    Originally posted by blindman
    Prime time for getting home from work to be able to dig out the donor account's debit card? For me anyway

I just expected some kind of automated message by text or e-mail, as they are usually quick to send them for new payees etc, but as long as I'm not the only one who hasn't had one I will wait patiently.
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 12th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    copperclock
    If your income is zero how are you going to be able to pay in 1,500 to qualify for the bonus. Also do not be tempted to fabricate the truth. If I were you ring them on their free phone number to get clarification on any points you are not clear on.

Best of luck!
    Originally posted by MABLE
    I will pay in 1500 out of our household income.
    • gocat
    • By gocat 12th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 59,796 Thanks
    gocat
    Has anyone doing an existing customer switch received any kind of communication?

I did it last night at about 7pm (so after the close of banking hours) and got to a confirmation screen, and took a screenshot of it, but have not had any kind of text or e-mail.
    Yes switched OH YB to existing NW account but no email confirmation yet
    Also set up new select NW account for myself and was accepted and got email confirmation but the account not showing when I log in my NW account.
    Guess they are overwhelmed.
    • KTF
    • By KTF 12th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 4,654 Posts
    • 1,905 Thanks
    KTF
    Just received an email to say that the switch has started. Once complete I will pay in the 1500, take it back out again then wait...
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 12th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    copperclock
    IMHO you should put 190 CB and 0 for the mortgage as it's obviously paid by hubby.

Mrs B applied last night and her income is 500/month (nil mortgage) and was accepted.

IMHO I do not think they care...
    Thank you. I might try that. I'm not after any overdraft so that's not a problem.
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 12th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Yes switched OH YB to existing NW account but no email confirmation yet
    Also set up new select NW account for myself and was accepted and got email confirmation but the account not showing when I log in my NW account.
    Guess they are overwhelmed.
    Originally posted by gocat
    OK great, e-mails for new customers but not for us existing ones then, oh well Just pleased to have an offer I can take up easily.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 12th Jan 18, 10:57 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    harz99
    OK great, e-mails for new customers but not for us existing ones then, oh well Just pleased to have an offer I can take up easily.

Just a thought, is there a personal message tab within the accounts page when you are logged into the account?
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 12th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Just a thought, is there a personal message tab within the accounts page when you are logged into the account?
    Originally posted by harz99
    There is ("Mailbox" down the left hand side on the website version of online banking) but no messages in there.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 12th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    MABLE
    Thank you. I might try that. I'm not after any overdraft so that's not a problem.
    Good idea but you need to be sure the mortgage is not in joint names. If it is then you would be unintentionally fabricated the truth that you have zero mortgage payments because you are equally liable for the debt. Whether the partner pays it himself is beside the point if in joint names.

Hopefully its only in his name so no issues.
    Last edited by MABLE; 12-01-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 12th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    copperclock
    Good idea but you need to be sure the mortgage is not in joint names. If it is then you would be unintentionally fabricated the truth that you have zero mortgage payments because you are equally liable for the debt. Whether the partner pays it himself is beside the point if in joint names.

Hopefully its only in his name so no issues.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    Yeah, good point. The mortgage is a joint one.

Just to clarify: we're married, so my partner doesn't pay for things 'himself', we pay for things from our family income.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,868 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Are you saying you received a confirmation email > 2 hours after successful application?
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the case.
    Closed the NatWest window then logged on here straightaway.
    Then went back to log onto e-mails, and there was one from NatWest
    Then came back on the forum .

(However I used to bank with NW- still at same address etc so maybe that's a pertinent issue)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • blindman
    • By blindman 12th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 4,175 Thanks
    blindman
    Yeah, good point. The mortgage is a joint one.

Just to clarify: we're married, so my partner doesn't pay for things 'himself', we pay for things from our family income.
    I don't want to start a fight here but

My income is 0 and my mortgage is 1100pm. My husband is the sole earner in our household.
    Bottom line he pays for things whether you call it family income or some other fancy name.

Back to topic.

IMHO the bank will not even bother to check if you'r joint or not.

They just want more customers that they can then sell direct to.
    It's all a marketing ploy

However if you're that timid then don't apply.
    • noh
    • By noh 12th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 5,242 Posts
    • 3,541 Thanks
    noh
    As an existing customer I applied for the switch yesterday. I haven't used the Nat West account for years and don't have an active debit card.
    I received a text today asking me to call the switching team.
    The call was answered immediately after going through the options gave him the info he needed and the switch process was actioned.

The number for the switching team is 0345 3004189 if you want to get in touch with them.
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 12th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    copperclock
    I don't want to start a fight here but

Bottom line he pays for things whether you call it family income or some other fancy name.

Back to topic.

IMHO the bank will not even bother to check if you'r joint or not.

They just want more customers that they can then sell direct to.
    It's all a marketing ploy

However if you're that timid then don't apply.
    I understand that when applying for credit, banks accounts, etc it's down to individual income. That's a separate thing. But in a legal and moral sense, the money of the household belongs to both of us, regardless of who earned it.
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 12th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    So, after speaking to the bank last night and being told I had to sign the forms, I recieve a text and an email asking me to upload documents
    • harz99
    • By harz99 12th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    harz99
    I understand that when applying for credit, banks accounts, etc it's down to individual income. That's a separate thing. But in a legal and moral sense, the money of the household belongs to both of us, regardless of who earned it.

Does your husbands pay go into a joint account from which all bills are paid?

If so maybe you could argue that he gives you his entire pay, therefore that is your income. Not sure how legal that would be mind...
    • copperclock
    • By copperclock 12th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    copperclock
    Does your husbands pay go into a joint account from which all bills are paid?

If so maybe you could argue that he gives you his entire pay, therefore that is your income. Not sure how legal that would be mind...
    Originally posted by harz99
    Don't be so silly! It's just joint money. We both own it. If we were to divorce all the household assets would have a starting point of 50/50, regardless of who earned it. That's because we are one unit. That's also how my husband sees it.

Anyway, I have gone ahead and applied for the account on the basis that my income is 140pm (child benefit) and my mortgage is 1125.

The application has been successful, but obviously no overdraft (I wouldn't have wanted one anyway).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,144Posts Today

7,843Users online

Martin's Twitter