Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sconeyj
    • By Sconeyj 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 53Thanks
    Sconeyj
    NatWest 125 switch incentive
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    NatWest 125 switch incentive 10th Jan 18 at 1:56 PM
    Just as I thought I'd exhausted every bank...up pops NatWest with a switch offer! 125 for switching, and no direct debits required. All you need to do is:
    • switch a non-NatWest account
    • deposit 1,500
    All before 16 March (although you need to apply for the account by 16 February).

Happy days!
Page 65
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 2nd Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Switch completed a week and a half ago and I've just started getting the text messages reminding me to upload ID! What's really annoyed me about this is the timing of these messages: 1.04a.m. and 2.07a.m. Thanks, NatWest! Now I can't sleep. What an utterly stupid time to have text messages going out.

It's almost like they want to annoy their new customers.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    That happened to me a few weeks ago and of course the account was already open! Then it transpired they were using my details for someone else's application.

Phoned to complain and I haven't had any more early morning texts.

Forgot to ask for compo though!

Obviously something they are good at, can't think of any other company that texts in the early hours!
    • Clockwork145
    • By Clockwork145 5th Mar 18, 9:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Clockwork145
    Lol, tried to call them back just now to ask the same question again to see if I get a different answer, and got a recorded message saying that they can't put me through to anybody "due to a building evacuation".

They've not been my lucky bank, this lot.
    Originally posted by Snakey
    I've been experiencing this for the last week also.

First account was opened at the end of January in joint name. After submitting ID for both through the Digidocs service, I was told the account had to be reopened because a DOB didn't match. Apparently you can't make ANY changes once the application form had been submitted, so I had to start all over again. That cost 2 weeks although my mistake so I guess fair enough.

New account application made in Feb. Despite doing exactly the same thing this time around (although getting the DoB right!), the joint applicant hasn't been asked to upload any ID to Digidocs. That doesn't stop them getting the texts and e-mail reminders though! My ID is uploaded by the 15th and I make a call to Natwest which prompts a whole fuss because I don't have ANY reference number. Eventually get through to their new customer helpdesk (the number for which isn't ANYWHERE on their website or included in any of the e-mails or texts) and they confirm everything is ok and the application is being finalised.

We get to last week and still haven't heard anything from Natwest (except the reminders to the joint applicant to upload ID, which they can't do, and which Natwest say isn't necessary). Try calling again on Tuesday the 27th of Feb and get that automated message that the building has been evacuated. After 7 attempts I go back to the main customer helpline to tell them I can't get through and they are completely clueless and can only suggest to try again a bit later.

With work commitments and the weather I don't get the opportunity to call again that week. Try again this morning and same repeated message. Get through to the main customer helpline again who tell me that the building has been closed due to the weather (although it was closed before the snow started), and has remained closed due to a pipe leak but should have re-opened this morning except it hasn't.

I'm also informed that Natwest have no backup team available for new customer applications. Apparently nobody else in the entire company is able to help me apart from this one team that now can't work (so I guess they've had the whole week off?). If anybody else is waiting for an update then you're probably in the same situation.

It's now been almost a month since the second application was made (over a month since I started the process of switching to Natwest) and I've had no paperwork at all, no application reference, no updates, nothing except a customer number which no team seems to recognise.

Suffice it to say a complaint has been opened and I will be switching away from them again as soon as we receive the switching bonus.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 5th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 888 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Well done for complaining. Hoped you asked for compensation.
    • LozzaA
    • By LozzaA 7th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LozzaA
    Is anyone else still waiting for their debit card in the post?

Switching needs to start by Friday to be completed by their March 16th deadline.

it's getting a bit too squeaky bum time for my liking.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Is anyone else still waiting for their debit card in the post?

Switching needs to start by Friday to be completed by their March 16th deadline.

it's getting a bit too squeaky bum time for my liking.
    Originally posted by LozzaA
    You don't need the NatWest debit card to switch another account to them. If you didn't request a switch when you applied for the account then do so now. You will be in the timescale if you apply for the switch today.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 7th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    clivep
    You don't need the NatWest debit card to switch another account to them. If you didn't request a switch when you applied for the account then do so now. You will be in the timescale if you apply for the switch today.
    The CASS switching terms do say that the debit card number must be entered on the switching instruction if the a/c being switched comes with a debit card.

There have been reports that switches have gone through OK after selecting the "no debit card" when awaiting a debit card to arrive but this is contrary to the instructions and may not always work.
    • retrieverjc
    • By retrieverjc 7th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    retrieverjc
    Correct but the poster here is referring to the debit card for the NEW NatWest a/c.
    Last edited by retrieverjc; 07-03-2018 at 6:33 PM.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 7th Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    eschaton
    I take it that you don't need to keep the 1500 in the account until you receive the incentive?
    • derrick
    • By derrick 7th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 7,052 Posts
    • 2,290 Thanks
    derrick
    I take it that you don't need to keep the 1500 in the account until you receive the incentive?
    Originally posted by eschaton

Correct.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    The CASS switching terms do say that the debit card number must be entered on the switching instruction if the a/c being switched comes with a debit card.

There have been reports that switches have gone through OK after selecting the "no debit card" when awaiting a debit card to arrive but this is contrary to the instructions and may not always work.
    Originally posted by clivep
    Yes, I know that, but the person I was replying to is waiting for their NatWest debit card before switching their other account to NatWest. This is not what you are talking about.
    • aj_m
    • By aj_m 7th Mar 18, 11:06 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    aj_m
    The Natwest switching form asks for the Natwest debit card number. If you don't give it (I misread the form!) you get a text saying they have been unable to complete the switch, with a phone number to ring, so maybe do it withouut then call to explain? The number they gave is 0345 300 4189 (M-F 8-6, Sat 9-1).
    • alternate
    • By alternate 8th Mar 18, 12:57 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    alternate
    You need the natwest debit card for ID verification. You can proceed without but they send you forms to sign before they start the switch.

Remember it is 7 working days to switch so realistic deadline is today.
    • clivep
    • By clivep 8th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    clivep
    Yes, I know that, but the person I was replying to is waiting for their NatWest debit card before switching their other account to NatWest. This is not what you are talking about.
    Quite correct, my apologies.
    • LozzaA
    • By LozzaA 8th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LozzaA
    The online switching form requires your Natwest Account number, sort code and the last 4 digits of the long debit card number. Luckily I was able to get this info from a branch despite not receiving any post from Nat West since I opened the account.
    From what i remember, if you select that you haven't a (nat west) debit card they have to send a letter for you to sign and return before they can start the switch.
    Last edited by LozzaA; 08-03-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 8th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    36 days to go ...
    If you meet the criteria, the bonus will be paid into your account by 13 April.
    So it seems that kettles boil quicker and paint dries faster, and both are far more exciting activities than watching a Nat West account in the hope of bonus day.

36 days to go. <finger drumming>

So to help the time pass I thought I'd ask where are people switching their accounts to on 14th April?

Myself I'm thinking of M&S, you?
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 13,209 Thanks
    EachPenny
    So to help the time pass I thought I'd ask where are people switching their accounts to on 14th April?
    Originally posted by telemarks
    Might be best not to draw too much attention to just how much some people are playing the system.... otherwise the banks may be tempted to make the conditions of the next switch offer just that little bit harder to meet.

It's not really fair for those of us who have already taken advantage to make it more difficult for those who might follow in the future.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 12:16 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    Might be best not to draw too much attention to just how much some people are playing the system.... otherwise the banks may be tempted to make the conditions of the next switch offer just that little bit harder to meet.

It's not really fair for those of us who have already taken advantage to make it more difficult for those who might follow in the future.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I doubt that posts on this forum would influence the banks in any way. If it did it would prove just how out of touch they are with reality.

However, I would love to see by how much this great 125 giveaway has benefited NatWest in increased profits.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 8th Mar 18, 1:42 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    telemarks
    I doubt that posts on this forum would influence the banks in any way. If it did it would prove just how out of touch they are with reality..
    Originally posted by RG2015
    I tend to agree. After all the Bank concerned will be pro-actively monitoring a whole host of "performance indicators" in relation to this promotion, rather than reading online forums to judge success.

They will have built in factors to allow for serial switchers, but it would be interesting to know if they under or overestimated this factor.
    • alternate
    • By alternate 9th Mar 18, 11:54 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    alternate
    I would be amazed if marketing depts don't scour every forum they can - it is all free data on what people are saying about their brand.

That said, they don't need to read the forums to find out how much an offer is or isn't being abused. They have much better internal hard data on how many people switch and stick vs those that cut and run.

From the number of banks who have joined in with switch offers - and those they keep increasing the bribe - I would bet the banks are more than happy with the retention they are seeing.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 10th Mar 18, 12:40 AM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . So to help the time pass I thought I'd ask where are people switching their accounts to on 14th April?
    Originally posted by telemarks
    Well, I already had a Select account and so applied for a Reward account and shipped in my household bills through the switch and plan, for the moment, anyway, to stay for a year to see how that goes.

From what I have gleaned so far, the Reward account seems to be a bit of a convoluted affair: DDs earn points and 35 days later you can request them to be converted into pounds as long as there is at least 5.00 points to "bank" (1 point = 1.00 eventually, they say). Then wait another five days for the cash to be credited to your account. Rewards for direct debits spread over 10 months of the year are calculated on the basis of 12 months of the year. Accountants should love this system but I don't know how long I'll put up with it. After a year, I'm fairly sure they will wangle the numbers so that I won't get the 2% promised.

If nothing else, the Reward account should be interesting if not actually rewarding.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,632Posts Today

7,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin