Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sconeyj
    • By Sconeyj 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 55Thanks
    Sconeyj
    NatWest £125 switch incentive
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    NatWest £125 switch incentive 10th Jan 18 at 1:56 PM
    Just as I thought I'd exhausted every bank...up pops NatWest with a switch offer! £125 for switching, and no direct debits required. All you need to do is:
    • switch a non-NatWest account
    • deposit £1,500
    All before 16 March (although you need to apply for the account by 16 February).

Happy days!
Page 107
    • tg99
    • By tg99 31st May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    tg99
    Much as it pains me to almost agree with Mchambers, how would you prove that a direct debit was active if there was no record of it having been claimed? They cease being active after 13 months without a claim, but if a bank decided to challenge whether a direct debit which had never been claimed was active, then I don't think the customer would be likely to win. Why take the chance?
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    Once the set up process is complete then the mandate would still be in place even if the first payment has not come out yet. Thus the bank account you are switching out of would need to switch this direct debit mandate to the new bank account. From memory some banks show online direct debit mandates set up with them even before the first payment has been claimed so you could screenshot that before switching incase for some reason they messed things up and did not switch it. Alternatively you could make a complaint (which Iím sure would be music to the ears of McChambers!) and have it investigated. If some kind of evidence was requested then you could obtain from the organisation claiming the DD payment. In my opinion if the switch messed up then one of these methods would resolve things in the customerís favour. As I said originally though, if one wanted to play it safe then yes by all means wait for the first payment to be claimed.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 31st May 18, 11:49 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 309 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Don't get used to it.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    How is your day job working for TSB going ?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 31st May 18, 11:55 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,525 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    I wouldn't have the foggiest. I don't, never have, and never will work in a bank, unlike you.

I'm currently on holiday and when I return to work it will be to an entirely different kind of organisation.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 2nd Jun 18, 4:34 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 15,173 Thanks
    Westie983
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    This is a thread about Natwest not TSB!!

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2019 #10 Total (£16000)+£0/£12000 = 0.0%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12 #97 Total (£450)+£1/£500 = 0.20% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total (£165)+£0/£365 = 0.00%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£1300)+£0/£1000 = 0.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1030)+£0/£2000 = 0.0%

Total £1.00/£15865 = 2.00%
    I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 3rd Jun 18, 2:33 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Bizarrely, on the first page of the application...

"""
    Before you start
    Are you only resident for tax purposes in the UK? * Yes No
    Are you only a national/citizen of the UK? * Yes No
    Were you born in the UK? * Yes No
    """

if I click "yes" to everything, I can go on to the second page.

But if I click "no" to "were you born in the UK?", I get this:-

"""
    Please try again, between the hours of 06:30 and 22:00. Alternatively, you can apply in branch or by phoning us on 0845 3030 299 (Minicom 0845 900 5961) for current accounts or 0845 301 6090 (Minicom 0800 404 6161) for savings accounts. Calls may be recorded.
    """
    Originally posted by keiran
    So, Boris johnson or sir cliff richard would have got the same message if they were applying.
    Last edited by OceanSound; 03-06-2018 at 3:52 AM.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 3rd Jun 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Just trying to do a switch to NatWest for incentive....and I get to the bottom of the first page where it asks if you want a joint account, and I say NO, nothing else happens or pops up.

However, if I click YES, then I get another screen saying continue....but I don't want a joint!

Is the select account only available as a Joint account, if so that seems a bit odd.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 3rd Jun 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,055 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Just trying to do a switch to NatWest for incentive....and I get to the bottom of the first page where it asks if you want a joint account, and I say NO, nothing else happens or pops up.

However, if I click YES, then I get another screen saying continue....but I don't want a joint!

Is the select account only available as a Joint account, if so that seems a bit odd.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    It appears to be an "Edge" issue, as it worked fine when I used Chrome. Now waiting for the "e-docs" email.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 10th Jun 18, 10:20 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Is the card reader same as Ulster bank/Tesco/Nationwide?
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 10th Jun 18, 10:33 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Once you make the request you have to wait two or three days, then you can activate your existing bank's reader with NatWest.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    I was told 24 hrs and confirmed this as finally able to make withdrawals some time after I was told my account was useable.

P.s. I didn't know Tesco's use card readers??
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Don't think they do anymore, but must have at one point as I have one in my collection.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 10th Jun 18, 11:32 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Agree with eachpenny - switching a zero balance unused account with no dd or so or payments is pushing it a bit and you will find it hard to argue about getting a switch bonus - what exactly were you switching !
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Really? I would think it is all automated these days, so does it matter?

Successfully switched my newly setup (as a result of misinformation) Barclays account into Natwest a short time ago. No DDs and zero balance. Had only just received my debit card.

Apart from being told account was ready to use, when I still needed a card reader and activation code, I was pleased with the speed and communication received.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 10th Jun 18, 11:38 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Agree with Katie Hound don't get me started on opening a Barclays account and Experian I couldn't understand half the questions let alone answer them hence I'm off to the branch with ID today!
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Isn't Experian the ones MSE uses for their credit club?

I was/am with one of the other free services, but gave up with them a couple of months ago as my login page just wouldn't complete and the company didn't seem interested in sorting it out. Pity because I think their interface gave a better overview and more details than the MSE one.
    • chattyuk
    • By chattyuk 10th Jun 18, 12:01 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    chattyuk
    Is it too late to do the switch for £100?

The website is still advertising the offer but it says you need to switch by Friday 15th. That's not enough time to perform the switch!
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 10th Jun 18, 12:08 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    they have a harsh overdraft policy of £6 flat charge even if £1-£2 below zero.
    Originally posted by caoimhin
    Isn't that how they can afford to offer the incentives in the first place?
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 11th Jun 18, 12:08 AM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Is it too late to do the switch for £100?

The website is still advertising the offer but it says you need to switch by Friday 15th. That's not enough time to perform the switch!
    Originally posted by chattyuk
    Check the actual terms.. that's not what it says.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 12th Jun 18, 8:38 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Is there an archive copy of when the £125 offer ended? I am sure that this was still being shown on the main MSE website until quite resently, but perhaps I got muddled up withnthe same offer being made by First Direct?

www.archive.org seems to suggest I was wrong.
    Keef - Nationwide, TSB, Natwest, Barclays, CoOp, Tesco, Santander, Halifax, Previously Lloyds, LloydsTSB, Bradford and Bingley, Abbey National,
    • diceydeb
    • By diceydeb 23rd Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    diceydeb
    Has anyone had their switch bonus yet ?
    • derrick
    • By derrick 23rd Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 7,130 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    derrick
    Originally posted by diceydeb

Loads of us.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 23rd Jul 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,876 Posts
    • 4,579 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Originally posted by diceydeb
    Loads of us.
    Originally posted by derrick
    Well, perhaps not quite that straightforward:

Loads of us for the original £125 switch - yes.

But since then there was the £100 offer, and I'm not sure people have had that bonus yet.

Edit: I think the £100 bonus was to be paid by 10th August, so another couple of weeks plus yet. And, as we found out with the £125 bonus, NatWest did, er, slip a bit with the date for some people.
    Last edited by Zanderman; 23-07-2018 at 5:31 PM. Reason: adding last para
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 6th Aug 18, 10:07 PM
    • 1,876 Posts
    • 4,579 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Just a heads-up - that second NatWest switching offer bonus of £100 is due, I think, by 10th August so due this week.

No sign of it yet in the two switches in this household..
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 8th Aug 18, 2:33 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    Just had a £100 switching bonus.

Would have been nice if it was £125, but I assume the offer changed at some point, although I can't see when or where.
    Keef - Nationwide, TSB, Natwest, Barclays, CoOp, Tesco, Santander, Halifax, Previously Lloyds, LloydsTSB, Bradford and Bingley, Abbey National,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,731Posts Today

6,510Users online

Martin's Twitter