Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chettysmith
    • By chettysmith 10th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    chettysmith
    Tesco mobile safety buffer
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    Tesco mobile safety buffer 10th Jan 18 at 12:09 PM
    I have 2 contracts with Tesco mobile but have HAD to take out a safety buffer (£2.50 each contract).
    I definitely want my daughters mobiles capped but why canít they just cap at the monthly payment? If they can stop usage outside of buffer, why canít they just stop at the monthly rate?
    Please donít reply with ďjust donít go into your bufferĒ!
Page 1
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 5,107 Posts
    • 30,653 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    Why not buy a PAYG? It caps itself!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 10th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 5,088 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    Most billing systems don't run in real time, so there has to be a buffer.
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 10th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    We work with Affinity (used by Vodafone?) and it is not real time therefore a buffer is needed.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • CH77
    • By CH77 16th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CH77
    • 16th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    If it's because it doesn't work in real time, how is Tesco able to let you know when you are about to enter the safety buffer?

I have had several discussions with Tesco Mobile about this issue with no real explanation and no suggestions other than "buy extra data - it's cheaper than using the safety buffer". I have 4 phones on Tesco, 2 belonging to my children & it's impossible to get them not to use the buffer. As an adult it's easy to switch off data when it's running out, but I don't know any children/teenagers who do this, so it feels like a hidden charge if you have children with phones. I have occasionally bought extra data for my children and then they spend the safety buffer as well!

Not a very constructive response, sorry. I would love to know if any mobile companies allow you to avoid this buffer charge, or at least charge it at a reasonable rate (I think last time one of my children used this buffer the £2.50 lasted about 3 minutes).
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 16th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    Why not buy a PAYG? It caps itself!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Yep, Asda PAYG or Giffgaff.
    • sdduk
    • By sdduk 16th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    sdduk
    • 16th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    I thought Tesco capped your mobile if you ask them?
    Didn't know you had to have a buffer.

I'm with Three and my mobile is capped and i know it is because i nearly went over my data but three turned it off until my next month allowance was put on was really happy because i didn't even know i had it.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,047Posts Today

8,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin