Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nerion
    • By nerion 10th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    nerion
    Motor Insurers' Bureau wants 4,760 from me in personal injury claim - help!
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    Motor Insurers' Bureau wants 4,760 from me in personal injury claim - help! 10th Jan 18 at 11:39 AM
    Hi folks, I was involved in a car accident a year ago, which admitedly was my fault. As luck would(n't) have it, my insurance had expired a couple of weeks earlier - the payment hadn't gone through because my debit card number had changed.

All of which meant I hadn't got a leg to stand on - I had to pay out over 5,000 for the woman's car and other expenses.

The woman wasn't injured at all but (you know what's coming, right?) she's now doing me for personal injury. I met a chap from the Motor Insurers' Bureau a few months ago and explained to him that I hadn't much money and that I asked the woman three times if she was OK (which she was).

But I guess anyone can later go to a doctor and complain of a bad neck/back or whatever and get him/her to fill in the forms to say they're injured. Maybe the symptoms did occur later after the crash - but I remain skeptical.

So I now have this 4,760 bill to pay. However, after speaking to the MIB's solicitor just now, he says they may be willing to accept a smaller amount - a "settlement offer". I just wondered what the best offer is to make. Should I offer 50%, or 3,000, or 4,000, or what?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Andie
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    • 4,545 Posts
    • 2,840 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:53 PM
    up to what ever you can afford, very expensive lesson not to be insured and something you have to declare as it is an offence driving without insurance
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • nerion
    • By nerion 10th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nerion
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    Yeah, tell me about it. I did speak to the police but they didn't charge me as it was an honest mistake. I thought I was insured and would have been had my card number not changed. My insurers didn't write to let me know the payment hadn't gone through.

In terms of the amount, I could just about afford the full figure, but that would completely wipe me out financially. I'd rather pay a lesser amount (obviously) but am unsure as to how much to offer. If anyone could help, that would be great.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 20,342 Posts
    • 16,116 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    You have the option of paying nothing and hoping that the other party doesn't take it to court. But if you don't want to take that risk, then maybe start at a 50% offer and hope that the bargaining will stop before it gets back up to the full amount.

PS I don't think a change of card number should have meant that the transaction wouldn't go through unless you had also changed your account number as well, so I would have been querying my bank why they didn't allow it in the first place.
    • nerion
    • By nerion 10th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nerion
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    Hi there, thanks for the reply - that's really useful. I shall start at 50% then.

As for the bank thing, no, my account number is exactly the same. I did change my title, though, from Mr to Mx. Would that have affected things?

I guess it's still ultimately my fault, though, as I should have checked my statement to make sure my premium payment had come out.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 20,342 Posts
    • 16,116 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    As for the bank thing, no, my account number is exactly the same. I did change my title, though, from Mr to Mx. Would that have affected things?

I guess it's still ultimately my fault, though, as I should have checked my statement to make sure my premium payment had come out.
    Originally posted by nerion
    No,change of title would have no impact. If the card was reissued with a new number but for the same sortcode and account number then a Continuous Payment Authority (which it sounds like you had, and is very common for car insurance) then the payment should have been allowed by your bank. It may be too late to do anything about it now but I'd still be inclined to make a query to your bank, and follow that up with a complaint if their explanation doesn't satisfy you.

Your last point is right, but doesn't absolve the bank of their responsibility.
    • stator
    • By stator 10th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 6,303 Posts
    • 4,195 Thanks
    stator
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    Have the MIB already paid out? and they are trying to recoup their costs from your?
    Or is it still at the 'threats' stage?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • nerion
    • By nerion 10th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nerion
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    Thanks both. Agrinnall, OK, I shall take this up with my bank. You never know your luck in a raffle!

Stator, the MIB's solicitor said they have already paid out, yep.
    • Enough17
    • By Enough17 28th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Enough17
    • 28th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 28th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    I am in a similar situation to this. Shall I start a new thread?
    • huckster
    • By huckster 28th Jan 18, 3:47 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    huckster
    Yes you need to start your own thread
    • Amst
    • By Amst 29th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Amst
    As for the bank thing, no, my account number is exactly the same. I did change my title, though, from Mr to Mx.
    Lol, and my sympathy disappears.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 30th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 5,772 Thanks
    societys child
    Mx . . .?

• stator
    • By stator 30th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 6,303 Posts
    • 4,195 Thanks
    stator
    Mx means a (E)mail server. It's an unusual gender identity but hey, this is the internet age.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • nerion
    • By nerion 31st Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nerion
    Mx can be used by anyone, male, female or non-binary. It's been in use since the 1970s, so not that unusual really.
    • Amst
    • By Amst 31st Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Amst
    Mx can be used by anyone, male, female or non-binary. It's been in use since the 1970s, so not that unusual really.
    Certainly popularized recently though due to a certain demographic.

Even though it's been around for 40 years, the usage will still be in the 0.1% range if not considerably lower, and it's a ballache for new middleware systems to deal with...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,879Posts Today

6,624Users online

Martin's Twitter