Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Thai67
    0 WOW
    Help please on Holiday issues I found out about
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    0 WOW
    Help please on Holiday issues I found out about 10th Jan 18 at 11:18 AM
    Hi everyone
    My wife and I are booked on a package deal with tui for cancun Mexico on the 3rd may 2018 in a brand new hotel named the Riu dunamar for two weeks.
    They have a Facebook page and quite by accident I saw somebody say that tui had been in touch as building work had started on another Riu hotel right next door and that from April the ground works proper will begin and their would be excessive noise from 8am to 6pm. So as we go at the start of May I contacted tui and asked for their position on this to which I was told I would receive a phone call back later that day after some investigation ..
    The next day having not received a phone call I tried again and this time they they admitted this would be a problem and gave me a free amendment but stating if the holiday cost more I would pay more. Alternatively I was told if I wait tui would be in touch about being able to change our hotel.
    So I have waited for two more weeks now and heard nothing so phoned again today to be told the same thing. I just want to know the situation and offers before making an informed decision on what to do next. The other thing is its January sales time and if their offers are no good for us I can maybe get a refund and find something else in our price range.
    Can anybody please tell me what they think my options are as the next time I speak I would love to know my rights in this matter and if tui are doing anything wrong?
    Thanks and sorry for being long winded
    Last edited by Thai67; 10-01-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Page 1
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 10th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    Hi everyone
    My wife and I are booked on a package deal with tui for cancun Mexico on the 3rd may 2018 in a brand new hotel named the Riu dunamar for two weeks.
    They have a Facebook page and quite by accident I saw somebody say that tui had been in touch as building work had started on another Riu hotel right next door and that from April the ground works proper will begin and their would be excessive noise from 8am to 6pm. So as we go at the start of May I contacted tui and asked for their position on this to which I was told I would receive a phone call back later that day after some investigation ..
    The next day having not received a phone call I tried again and this time they they admitted this would be a problem and gave me a free amendment but stating if the holiday cost more I would pay more. Alternatively I was told if I wait tui would be in touch about being able to change our hotel.
    So I have waited for two more weeks now and heard nothing so phoned again today to be told the same thing. I just want to know the situation and offers before making an informed decision on what to do next. The other thing is its January sales time and if their offers are no good for us I can maybe get a refund and find something else in our price range.
    Can anybody please tell me what they think my options are as the next time I speak I would love to know my rights in this matter and if tui are doing anything wrong?
    Thanks and sorry for being long winded
    Originally posted by Thai67
    I would not hang around,locate another hotel near to where you want to stay but away from the building site,ask TUI to swap your accomadation to the other hotel,if not possible tell TUI that you want to cancel the holiday and book another one,do not leave it too long or there might not be anything left that is in your price bracket.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • HoofeHearted
    • By HoofeHearted 10th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2,520 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    HoofeHearted
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    Having looked at the reviews on Tripadvisor, I would change to another hotel ASAP.
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    Thanks for your comments and I get where your both coming from but got the feeling that if we wait they will give us another hotel of similar quality free of charge whereas if we book something else or change now to something else we will pay more. As the deal we got was really good I don't think we would get anything as good with the money we spent. Is my understanding correct?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 10th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 8,262 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    Thanks for your comments and I get where your both coming from but got the feeling that if we wait they will give us another hotel of similar quality free of charge whereas if we book something else or change now to something else we will pay more. As the deal we got was really good I don't think we would get anything as good with the money we spent. Is my understanding correct?
    I think you have given them plenty of time... and now you have discovered why your original deal was so cheap.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 19,091 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    But what happens if you do wait and they decide to give you a full refund instead? By that time there may be nothing left for you to book in your price range. If that's a chance you are happy to take then of course go ahead.

Have they given an indication that they will indeed offer you another hotel free of charge? If not I would be sorting it out now, not waiting for them to decide. I wouldn't want to end up with my money back and no holiday.

• Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    Yes I guess so but as it was a riu I thought it would be a pretty safe bet on quality
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    I see the point of not waiting but just unsure as in theory we could also but lucky and get something above our price point and I do love love a deal. Big decisions to make I think but thanks everybody for your replies. It has definitely given me food for thought
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 4,782 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    They may be waiting until nearer the time to see what the position is. The work may be finished or it may never start.
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 10th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    Remember as well that Tui own Riu Hotels.

http://www.tuigroup.com/TUIhotels/
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    Don't think they are waiting on position as they already admitted it would be a problem. As for them owning riu I had no idea and that surely gives me a little leverage when I phone again.thanks again
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    Even though they said I would have to pay any extra does anybody think they may move a little on price as I have seen a possible hotel change but its quite alot more. Im thinking its worth a try if the alternative is cancellation from their point of view surely
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 16,083 Posts
    • 12,166 Thanks
    hollydays
    This is a question I always used to get the travel agent to ask the hotel: is there any building works.
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    Yes but apparently this trave
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    Yes that's great but apparently this travel agent ( tui) own the hotel so would they have told me anyway? Also what do you think of a company that has admitted that their is a problem and yet I go on their site and surprise surprise they are still selling the holiday to people and have not put the TripAdvisor reviews up yet? So i think not all my fault really!
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    Understand what your saying and maybe that was my mistake but they own this hotel should they still be selling it now with no TripAdvisor reports as this just looks very sneaky to me. As the hotel that's being built next door is also a riu apparently so their is no way they don't know about this.
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 10th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    Also i really am looking for advice not criticism for a mistake that i am sure an awful lot of people have made. Thanks
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 16,083 Posts
    • 12,166 Thanks
    hollydays
    See
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-4467424/The-dream-family-holidays-wrecked-noisy-builders.html
    !!!8220;If you find out before you travel, you can cancel the holiday and demand a full refund.!!!8221;
    Last edited by hollydays; 10-01-2018 at 8:32 PM.
    • Thai67
    • By Thai67 11th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Thai67
    Hi again just wondering if anyone knows the procedure for getting my money back from tui as they are saying only free amendment but not cancellation as they are still investigating. Even though they admitted to me it was a problem over 2 weeks ago
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Small claims court.

ABTA arbitration.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,134Posts Today

8,140Users online

Martin's Twitter