Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 10th Jan 18, 8:36 AM
    • 2,680Posts
    • 4,369Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Avoiding Aussie flu
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:36 AM
    Avoiding Aussie flu 10th Jan 18 at 8:36 AM
    Thought I would post this simple piece of advice re avoiding the flu - the Aussie flu strain that is doing the rounds at the moment seems to be particularly nasty, and is flooring people who would normally shrug it off.

My son (26, and as fit as a lop) has been off work a week and is signed off until next Tuesday. He works in retail, so comes into contact with a lot of people - so I guess it was fairly inevitable that he would get it eventually. His doctor told him that the area where he lives is suffering its worst flu outbreak for years, and it's people who normally sail through the winter without a care who are worst affected.

The main advice is to get the flu jab - but if you're not in the right demographic that's not so easy, the flu jab isn't always 100% effective, and not everyone wants to be having injections every year, so -

!!!8220;...we should all wash our hands properly and regularly, and keep communal areas clean. These can include keyboards, phones, bench tops, and even door handles. It!!!8217;s also a good idea to carry around some hand sanitiser, especially if you!!!8217;re catching public transport or if you!!!8217;re in close contact to a lot of people. Washing your hands before eating anything is very important."

I think the key word here is 'properly' - with hot water and anti bac soap. Just do it. You know it makes sense!
    Last edited by trailingspouse; 10-01-2018 at 9:28 AM.
Page 1
    • catkins
    • By catkins 10th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 11,781 Thanks
    catkins
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    I had the flu jab last year so am hoping that works for me. At the moment though I am not going out unless I have to. I know that is a bit over the top but for the last couple of months I keep catching a cold. Each time it goes I get another one. Not sure why as before that I just didn't really get colds.

I had the flu about 2 years ago and it completely knocked me out. I literally could not get out of bed for 4 days and I am far from being a baby about illness. I then could only really laze about for a week. It was an effort getting washed and dressed (I actually had to get my DH to help me).

It took me 6 weeks to get over it. In week 5 me and DH went out to an art exhibition we had tickets for and I was walking as though I was about 100 years old. Even with makeup on I looked like death warmed up
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 10th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    I had the flu jab last year so am hoping that works for me. At the moment though I am not going out unless I have to. I know that is a bit over the top but for the last couple of months I keep catching a cold. Each time it goes I get another one. Not sure why as before that I just didn't really get colds.

I had the flu about 2 years ago and it completely knocked me out. I literally could not get out of bed for 4 days and I am far from being a baby about illness. I then could only really laze about for a week. It was an effort getting washed and dressed (I actually had to get my DH to help me).

It took me 6 weeks to get over it. In week 5 me and DH went out to an art exhibition we had tickets for and I was walking as though I was about 100 years old. Even with makeup on I looked like death warmed up
    Originally posted by catkins
    Be aware that NHS England has sent info out that the NHS vaccine will not be effective for the elderly at all. They say for over 75 s ( others say over 65 ) that the Fluad/Agrippon vaccine is more effective and should be ordered instead of the useless NHS one.
    I ve got a couple of links on an earlier thread about the "winter lurgy ".about the Fluad vaccine which has been approved for UK use last year.
    This H3N2 Aussie flu virus is really nasty. first death in Ireland this week.
    France has declared an epidemic last week.The UK could well go the same way.
    I live in a UK flu hotspot in Doncaster, only 8 known infections.None in London tho from last weeks data which is a surprise.
    The Hong Kong flu which I caught in 1968 lasted 2 years and killed 30,000 in UK alone.
    This strain, and the other 2 strains in the UK could well start a proper epidemic like France has got.
    There is a very contagious "super cold " around the UK now but the flu symptoms are nothing like this cold bug.
    Last edited by House Martin; 10-01-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 10th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    Thought I would post this simple piece of advice re avoiding the flu - the Aussie flu strain that is doing the rounds at the moment seems to be particularly nasty, and is flooring people who would normally shrug it off.

My son (26, and as fit as a lop) has been off work a week and is signed off until next Tuesday. He works in retail, so comes into contact with a lot of people - so I guess it was fairly inevitable that he would get it eventually. His doctor told him that the area where he lives is suffering its worst flu outbreak for years, and it's people who normally sail through the winter without a care who are worst affecte
    The main advice is to get the flu jab - but if you're not in the right demographic that's not so easy, the flu jab isn't always 100% effective, and not everyone wants to be having injections every year, so -

!!!8220;...we should all wash our hands properly and regularly, and keep communal areas clean. These can include keyboards, phones, bench tops, and even door handles. It!!!8217;s also a good idea to carry around some hand sanitiser, especially if you!!!8217;re catching public transport or if you!!!8217;re in close contact to a lot of people. Washing your hands before eating anything is very important."

I think the key word here is 'properly' - with hot water and anti bac soap. Just do it. You know it makes sense!
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    The overwhelming odds are that your son, like millions of others , has caught the quite nasty "super cold " doing the rounds in the UK.
    The flu symptoms are nothing like this cold.Every person I have met who has caught this cold is claiming it as "man/woman flu " .Its not its a nasty cold.
    The Aussie flu will make that cold look like a mere bit of the sniffles compared to the fever, aching bones, dry cough, sickness and nausea that genuine flu imparts.
    There has been no cases of flu in London but my town , Doncaster is a hotspot, and theres only been 8 confirmed cases so far, but everything can change quickly with these 3 strains in the UK
    Be aware that the NHS flu jab is ineffective for the elderly. It has no protection at all.
    The Fluad vaccine does and I think it can be ordered through the NHS.I am in the process of getting this better vaccine ordered myself.
    The H3N2 Aussie flu is one of the 3 variants in the UK at the moment
    Last edited by House Martin; 10-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 10th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 5,530 Posts
    • 11,781 Thanks
    catkins
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    The overwhelming odds are that your son, like millions of others , has caught the quite nasty "super cold " doing the rounds in the UK.
    The flu symptoms are nothing like this cold.Every person I have met who has caught this cold is claiming it as "man/woman flu " .Its not its a nasty cold.
    The Aussie flu will make that cold look like a mere bit of the sniffles compared to the fever, aching bones, dry cough, sickness and nausea that genuine flu imparts.
    There has been no cases of flu in London but my town , Doncaster is a hotspot, and theres only been 8 confirmed cases so far, but everything can change quickly with these 3 strains in the UK
    Be aware that the NHS flu jab is ineffective for the elderly. It has no protection at all.
    The Fluad vaccine does and I think it can be ordered through the NHS.I am in the process of getting this better vaccine ordered myself.
    The H3N2 Aussie flu is one of the 3 variants in the UK at the moment
    Originally posted by House Martin
    That's interesting that the flu jab is ineffective for the elderly. I am early 60's so (sadly) guess I am classed as elderly? Last year was the first year I qualified for it so seems silly to start giving it for free if it's not even effective. I certainly wasn't told that when given it.

I agree about people thinking they have flu when they just have a bad cold. I had an awful cold at the end of last year and felt pretty rough but nothing like I did with flu.

The aching bones on its own is awful. Every bit of me ached even my little toe!
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 10th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    Does antibacterial work on a virus?
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    • 6,254 Posts
    • 6,710 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    That's interesting that the flu jab is ineffective for the elderly. I am early 60's so (sadly) guess I am classed as elderly? Last year was the first year I qualified for it so seems silly to start giving it for free if it's not even effective. I certainly wasn't told that when given it.
    Originally posted by catkins
    Early 60's is a spring chicken !
    I think they have been talking about over 75's in relation to the effectiveness of the 'flu vaccine.

The problem is that there are a number of different strains of 'flu virus, and they have to decide which ones to include in the vaccine early on each year in order to manufacture the quatities involved. Unfortunately this year there have been some strains that have mutated, making the vaccine less effective against them.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 10th Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    House Martin - doc confirmed it was flu when she signed him off. Yes, aching like you wouldn't believe, skin felt like it was on inside out. Ditto the cough. And headache. And burning up while feeling cold. Poor poppet was proper poorly.

Sea Shell - of course not. I knew someone would pull me up on that when I wrote it. Congratulations, it was you.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 7,387 Posts
    • 10,659 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/flu-jab-nhs-warning-winter-ineffective-a8142376.html

Aussie flu was in the vaccine, but it doesn't offer any protection against the B strain causing most of the increasing B flu cases.

Aussie flu may have mutated in the time since vaccine development (March) and be a nasty type of flu that disproportionately hits the young/healthy who are less likely to have been vaccinated. Not easy to tell at the moment.

Last year the rate of effectiveness for the flu jab in elderly people was very low.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/12/nhs-scared-ever-amid-fears-flu-jab-may-not-protect-old/

http://www.nhsemployers.org/news/2017/09/flu-vaccine-effectiveness
    Last edited by KxMx; 10-01-2018 at 4:24 PM.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 10th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 7,019 Thanks
    spadoosh
    I dont know what actual vaccine they are given but it sounds like they need to be updating their website.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/?

Each year, the viruses that are most likely to cause flu are identified in advance and vaccines are made to match them as closely as possible. The vaccines are recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Most injected flu vaccines protect against 3 types of flu virus:

A/H1N1 the strain of flu that caused the swine flu pandemic in 2009
    A/H3N2 a strain of flu that mainly affects the elderly and people with risk factors like a long-term health condition. In 2017/18 the vaccine will contain an A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 H3N2-like virus
    Influenza B a strain of flu that particularly affects children. In 2017/18 the vaccine will contain B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus
    The nasal spray flu vaccine and some injected vaccines also offer protection against a fourth B strain of virus, which in 2017/18 is the B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus.
    Seems to suggest its perfectly suitable for the elderly and also aimed at combating aussie flu (H3N2).
    Don't be angry!
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 10th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 1,065 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    House Martin - doc confirmed it was flu when she signed him off. Yes, aching like you wouldn't believe, skin felt like it was on inside out. Ditto the cough. And headache. And burning up while feeling cold. Poor poppet was proper poorly.

Sea Shell - of course not. I knew someone would pull me up on that when I wrote it. Congratulations, it was you.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    I was just wondering, as i have hand gel and wipes at work...but they are antibacterial. I've been washing my hands lots too, in the hope of avoiding it all. No flu (yet) , but lots of bad colds doing the rounds.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 10th Jan 18, 11:04 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    I dont know what actual vaccine they are given but it sounds like they need to be updating their website.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/flu-influenza-vaccine/?

Seems to suggest its perfectly suitable for the elderly and also aimed at combating aussie flu (H3N2).
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/2018-19-aTIV-vaccine.pdf
    This is the latest info from NHS England which specifies that the current vaccine given to combat flu is nt effective for the elderly over 75, mainly because of the elderlys lowered immune response.
    An "Adjuvanted Trivalent "vaccine is now available under the trade name of Fluad which works better by boosting the immune system of the elderly.
    Fluad vaccine has been around for around 20 years but has only just been approved now for the 2018 /2019 flu season in the UK which may well end up as a full epidemic status in this year as it is now in France.
    The current vaccine offered by the NHS is nt effective for over 75 s. Anyone in that group would be better advised to ask for the Fluad (Agrippon ) vaccine to be sent to the surgery.
    Its too dangerous to risk the current NHS vaccine on 75 s and over, and there has been a report to say OAP s in general , 65 and over are at risk relying on the NHS vaccine.
    There is no evidence that the Aussie H3N2 has mutated otherwise none of us will be able to rely on what vaccine the NHS decided to use this winter and HSN2 is the most virulent of the 3 strains identified in the UK so far this winter
    Last edited by House Martin; 12-01-2018 at 8:57 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter