Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • quietly_myself
    • By quietly_myself 10th Jan 18, 7:56 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 453Thanks
    quietly_myself
    ESA reassessment vs return to work
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:56 AM
    ESA reassessment vs return to work 10th Jan 18 at 7:56 AM
    Iím currently on ESA and have been in the support group for several years. Iíve recently received a letter from DWP saying that my ESA claim needs to be reassessed and enclosing a new ESA50 form which I have until the end of January to return.

Thing is, Iíve been offered a job starting mid-March and am fully intending to cancel my ESA (the job disqualify me from Permitted Work) when I start.

Obviously this leaves a gap. All the advice I have says not to inform DWP until the day before I start work, but if I donít return the ESA50 then I run the risk of having my claim cancelled early and leaving a 6-week gap before I start work.

Has anyone else encountered a similar situation? Whatís the best course of action at this point?
Page 1
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 10th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 1,356 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    JSA or Universal credit seems like the only option or Do you still have the same medical conditions as before when you first got ESA if so, Then personally I would list my medical conditions in the ESA50 and problems etc and send it back.
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 10th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 4,401 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    How can you be offered a job if too sick to work? You should've informed ESA as soon as things improved; which they must've done to have applied for work!
    • quietly_myself
    • By quietly_myself 10th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    quietly_myself
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    How can you be offered a job if too sick to work? You should've informed ESA as soon as things improved; which they must've done to have applied for work!
    Originally posted by UKTigerlily
    I assume the reason theyíve requested a reassessment is because I informed them of the change in my condition.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    Complete and return the ESA50. By the time you are actually called for reassessment you will probably have started work anyway.
    The caveat on that is that if you have recovered to the extent that you no longer have any entitlement to ESA you should close the claim immediately.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 10th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    Complete and return the ESA50. By the time you are actually called for reassessment you will probably have started work anyway.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Agree with this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,017Posts Today

7,326Users online

Martin's Twitter