Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 10th Jan 18, 12:24 AM
    • 272Posts
    • 133Thanks
    Glover1862
    BTL indexed valuation
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:24 AM
    BTL indexed valuation 10th Jan 18 at 12:24 AM
    I'm currently at 45% LTV with a BLT, I was thinking of remortgaging to 75% and using the extra funds to buy another BTL, again at 75% LTV, both I/O.

To reduce the risk of a price drop or change in salary I thought I'd be able to product switch, I know they don't do another credit assessment but they do a index linked valuation, if the price drops and the LTV goes over 75%, are the likely to refuse the switch and offer svr only???

Worth considering for anyone going close to max LTV, I assume the same applies to residential loans, particularly to those at 90% and above.
Page 1
    • YHM
    • By YHM 10th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    YHM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    You cannot do a product switch and remortgage at the same time.

If you are wanting to release equity out of your BTL, you will need to apply for it fully. I cannot see a lender doing an indexed valuation, more so, a full valuation.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 10th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Glover1862
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    Thanks, yes, i'll be doing the re-mortgage first with a full application, taking my LTV from 50% to 75%, I'll then buy the other BLT, again doing a separate application most likely with a different lender to the re-mortgage.

As of now both properties will be at 75% LTV, practically the max for BTL. My question relates to values dropping in say 2 years time when the fixes end and I come to re-mortgage again. I was hoping worst case would be a product switch, I understood that no financial checks or valuations were done unless requested, however I noticed that lenders will use index valuations on products switches which at the time could show less than 75%, in which case they'd put me on SVR or I paid the extra to bring it back to 75%. Is that how it works?
    Last edited by Glover1862; 10-01-2018 at 9:47 AM.
    • YHM
    • By YHM 10th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    YHM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    Yes in theory...

Just remember a BLT is quite different to a BTL though....
    Last edited by YHM; 10-01-2018 at 9:48 AM. Reason: .
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 10th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Glover1862
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    Yes, one a bit cheaper than the other!

Ah well, I was rather hoping with a product switch you simply change the product with minimum fuss if you're not borrowing extra or need advice, not such a safety blanket after all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin