Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,074Posts
    • 20,328Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 96
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 5th Jul 18, 6:58 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 39,393 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I ended up having Spag Bol last night, with Courgette spaghetti, it was yummy

Busy day ahead, so just an easy dinner - frozen steak pie and chips for the men, and chicken salad for me.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Jul 18, 7:06 AM
    • 16,071 Posts
    • 136,649 Thanks
    JackieO
    Stuffed peppers with salad, I will stuff them with some diced up mushroon and a little bit of crunchy bacon bits ,some grated cheese topped with dried stuffing mix and then wrapped in foil and cooked for 15 minutes in my remoska then I unwrap to crisp off the stuffing top, absolutely delicious and so savoury I may drizzle a bit of sweet chilli sauce inside as well.Great way to use up the odd left over green peper that seems to lurk in the fridge
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19.This is for food only
    &/6/18 first food shop this month £13.48
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 5th Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    I cooked a whole pack of Jacketing potatoes yesterday when it was cooler in the evening, all 9 of them! So lunch today will be jacket potato with tinned dahl and grated cheese and a big mixed salad. Summer pudding for our pudding and the cup of coffee we so enjoy.

Change of lunch green bean salad in lemon mayo and courgette coins fried in a little butter with some Baharat seasoning and half a big jacket each with cheese melted on top, lovely!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I just love this idea, I'm so much more aware of how much electricity the oven uses now we've got a smart meter!

I cooked salmon last night so I roasted new pots, fennel bulbs, peppers and mushrooms in the oven too, delicious. It was a generous piece of salmon and I cut it in 3, thinking the I'd chop up the third, slightly smaller piece to go in our lunches, but OH got to it first and had seconds

Tonight is going to be something with eggs, I might just do a simple omelette and salad - not feeling like cooking much!
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC Target £250 -177.79/ £72.21
    July NSD target 7/10
    July Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 8/13
    Buy a used car/ get out of PCP cycle fund £400/£2400
    Cashback YTD £3.05/ claims 'on ice' for £7.50 untracked cashback
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Jul 18, 7:52 AM
    • 12,092 Posts
    • 167,697 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Pea and courgette risotto with a green salad and a goodly dusting of grated parmesan, summer pudding if we want it and our cup of coffee to finish.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 5th Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    K80 Black
    Last night I used the stale leftover beer-bread to make breadcrumbs, mixed with mince onions and peppers for burgers. (The second batch did turn out lighter, by the way, not by much though!)

Tonight I'm all alone (I don't cohabit, OH just visits), so I'll likely just have scramble or beans on toast!
    • klew356
    • By klew356 5th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 1,043 Thanks
    klew356
    PEAK eBay I have just bought a designer bag I have been eying up for ages and its 85 quid which im too tight to spend for 25!!!! Said it had been used a couple of times, ermmmm its like brand new!
    PIT Was in such a foul mood (work related) ((doesn’t happen often)) that I didn’t enjoy the night away the horses like I should of, came home early, had the LO pasta blog and then ended up consoling myself with madeira cake and choc ice cream, which I felt that guilty about the last portion of choc ice cream I let melt and have chucked it! Whata woman

Tonight it’s the pork chop and roasted veg but im gunna take the dog out for a long wander, ifs super hot it is a long swim and a shorter walk – make some thing nice for tomorrows lunch seeing as thank goodness its Friday

I need to spot clean my living room carpet its doing my head in

lunch was lovely today, simple things, toast butchers ham poached eggs and greenery
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 5th Jul 18, 5:24 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 32,437 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Smoked Mackerel and mixed salad here plus the remainder of the batch of HM coleslaw. A few french fries on the side would be nice, but far too hot to put even the smaller oven on

My meal plan is based on trying to use up food from the freezer and fridge, running out of all the easy no/minimal cook options, but really need to stick with it
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 5th Jul 18, 6:41 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 5,057 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    A bit of a feast tonight - we had hm pizza, salad from the garden, hm coleslaw, hm garlic bread and some lo new potatoes fried. Was all delicious and not a crumb left. Too full for pud.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 257/700
    • JIL
    • By JIL 5th Jul 18, 11:51 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 20,328 Thanks
    JIL
    Was away with work last night, couldn't think of what I fancied, so I bought a tub of ready prepared salad and a battered fish from the chip shop. It was ok.

Tonight I stopped off at the local co-op on my way home, bought a few reductions, including Bombay potatoes for 30p and a vegetable curry and rice for 62p. When I got home I fished out a chicken curry from freezer, bought using a shopping app that included nan bread dumplings. Then microwaved a couple of poppadoms. Cheap and quick tea.
    Last edited by JIL; 05-07-2018 at 11:54 PM.
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 6th Jul 18, 6:32 AM
    • 478 Posts
    • 2,514 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    We had a YS tortilla from the freezer with jackets and salad last night, made a beef curry and bombay alloo for tonight so will just need reheating and rice cooking
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC Target £250 -177.79/ £72.21
    July NSD target 7/10
    July Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 8/13
    Buy a used car/ get out of PCP cycle fund £400/£2400
    Cashback YTD £3.05/ claims 'on ice' for £7.50 untracked cashback
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Jul 18, 6:37 AM
    • 12,092 Posts
    • 167,697 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Oh lordy you are all so organised!

Cold chicken and salad for me with a reheated jacket potato and a scotch egg for He Who knows will be main meal today and we'll have it at lunchtime as we're taking Cookie dog out in the evening when it cools down and I find my hunger is gone by the time we get back and I only want some toast. If we leave the big meal to the evening I end up not eating it.l
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 6th Jul 18, 6:52 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 39,393 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Date Night here ie DH is responsible for dinner, we are meeting some friends for a quick drink, then out of an adventure to hunt food
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 6th Jul 18, 9:22 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 5,057 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    I'm trying to make room in the freezer for a meat delivery at the weekend, so tonight's dinner will be chicken in a creamy mushroom and leek sauce, with new potatoes and veg. Ice cream for pud.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 257/700
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 6th Jul 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2,701 Posts
    • 39,393 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I'm trying to make room in the freezer for a meat delivery at the weekend, so tonight's dinner will be chicken in a creamy mushroom and leek sauce, with new potatoes and veg. Ice cream for pud.
    Originally posted by hatful-of-hollow
    Hatful That sounds lush, I may pinch that idea for next weeks meal plan
    • klew356
    • By klew356 6th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 1,043 Thanks
    klew356
    LO roasted veg and cheesy mash tonight with unknown undecided meat. Must do a little weekend shop including bacon and nice rolls although above post chicken and creamy mushrooms sounds like a plan for next week?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 6th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 8,415 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Got some pork chops that need to be used tonight, so might do some new spuds roasted with lemon & fennel, & have some broccoli & asparagus with it.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• maisymoo5
    • By maisymoo5 6th Jul 18, 1:56 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    maisymoo5
    Was around at a friend's for dinner last night and enjoyed a mahoosive steak cooked on the bbq with a baked potato, pesto and vegetables from her garden.

Tonight is pizza from the freezer. It's friday and I CBA.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 6th Jul 18, 6:35 PM
    • 7,166 Posts
    • 49,808 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I have no idea, if I eat much more salad I might turn into a rabbit but I'm just too hot ATM to even bother with food. Still 29 degrees and 6.30pm. Whilst I love the lovely weather it's not much fun trying to work with no air con and the rooms just don't cool as the nights are still humid. I'd happily keep these glorious days if the post mightnight temp dropped to cool things off.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 6th Jul 18, 7:03 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 32,437 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Tuna and Avocado salad for me and a ham one with new pots for OH, appetite really poor in this heat, but have to make myself have a meal as I need to take meds with food

Some Raspberries need eating today, I will puree them to have over some soya ice cream later.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • JIL
    • By JIL 7th Jul 18, 1:26 AM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 20,328 Thanks
    JIL
    We put a ready meal fish pie in the oven, I got it via a shopping app. Alongside some jacket potatoes, took the dog out for a walk in the woods, came home and husband are the fish pie. There's no way that would serve two people, there was not much fish in it and 11 prawns. I didn't fancy it anyway so I had some tuna, mayo, red onion and sweetcorn on a jacket. I quite enjoyed it. I will freeze the other three jackets.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin