Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,956Posts
    • 19,865Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 72
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th May 18, 9:15 AM
    • 15,879 Posts
    • 134,590 Thanks
    JackieO
    tonight's dinner will be a chicken quarter from the freezer plus left over cabbage, new potatoes and carrots,with yogurt and diced graps for pudding. I am baking this morning so will be making some choc chip cookies and a fruit cake plus I have some pastry in the freezer , left over bits that I freeze for later as I always make too much, and there are enough bits to use as a pastry case for a quiche.
    I will use up some odds and ends from the fridge along with the eggs and grated cheese.It will do nicely as an accompaniment to salad over the next few days
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May food shopping so far £16.12
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 162,110 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Whew back home again to a very nice offer on the house! another viewing this afternoon and then decision time I think! So I've actually been able to do some enthusiastic cooking this morning for the first time in ages!

Lunch will be home made sweet potato falafels in wraps with parsley salad (from the polytunnel), home made pickled red onion, hummus and sweet chilli sauce.

Supper tonight will be home made Channa Massala, home made Aloo Gajaar (potato and carrot curry), home made Pilau Rice and home made Cucumber and Mint Raita a sort of celebration meal for us. Black coffee to finish.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 12th May 18, 11:20 AM
    • 19,328 Posts
    • 86,894 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Today will be bean curry soup from the batch we made the other day and a mushroom stir fry with extra mushrooms and some purple sprouting broccoli, later
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 12th May 18, 11:25 AM
    • 19,328 Posts
    • 86,894 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Supper tonight will be home made Channa Massala, home made Aloo Gajaar (potato and carrot curry), home made Pilau Rice and home made Cucumber and Mint Raita a sort of celebration meal for us. Black coffee to finish.
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Do you cook the Aloo Gajar in a pressure cooker, Mrs LW? I've just looked up a couple of recipes which suggested it be cooked that way.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th May 18, 12:46 PM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 162,110 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi Pipkin I make the Aloo Gajaar in a saucepan on the stove top, fry the seeds in oil until they pop, then add in the carrot and potato cubes and cook until they start to soften then add the spices, fry for a minute, add the water and pop on a lid and cook until the veg is cooked through. Very easy to do and yummy too!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 12th May 18, 1:53 PM
    • 19,328 Posts
    • 86,894 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Hi Pipkin I make the Aloo Gajaar in a saucepan on the stove top, fry the seeds in oil until they pop, then add in the carrot and potato cubes and cook until they start to soften then add the spices, fry for a minute, add the water and pop on a lid and cook until the veg is cooked through. Very easy to do and yummy too!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Thank you I will give this a try as it does sound lovely
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,260 Thanks
    caronc
    Pollock baked with tomato & chorizo, roasted baby potatoes and kale
    GC - Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £54/£120
    GC YTD 2018- £445/£710
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 162,110 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be some leek and potato soup to use up leeks that are beginning to go up to flower from the garden plot, He Who Knows will have another falafel wrap with his and I'll have a couple of hard boiled eggs.

Supper this evening will be a couple of gammon steaks from the farm shop that we'll use regularly once we've made the move, it's delicious meat and all their produce is in good condition in the shop. I'll do some jacket potatoes and a nice crisp salad to go with them and then there will be some blackberry and apple crumble if it's wanted , trying to clear the freezer of home grown produce.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 13th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 37,687 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    MrsLW got everything crossed for you re house, younwill 'know' when it's right x

Dinner today is Lamb Curry as cooked by my beloved - yesterday became steak and chips - I still can't taste a lot due to this bloomin cold so it's all the same to me - annoying as I miss 'tasting' my food.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 13th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Tonight's dinner will be slow roasted boneless shoulder of lamb, with jersey royals, roast potatoes, hm yorkshires, carrots, peas, savoy cabbage, gravy and mint sauce.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 241.5/700
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 13th May 18, 6:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    Normandy pheasant with potatoes, (pheasant found at the bottom of the chest freezer, cider, onions and apples in the slow-cooker) and raspberry and chocolate traybake for pudding - raspberries needed using up (that's my excuse!)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 24,260 Thanks
    caronc
    Griddled lamb steak, shallots, baby spuds, broad beans & runner beans
    GC - Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £54/£120
    GC YTD 2018- £445/£710
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th May 18, 6:24 AM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 37,687 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Well, this will be my first venture out of the house for 4 days - back to work

Stirfry noodles for dinner, use up meal with the odds and sods left in the fridge
    • C J
    • By C J 14th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 6,093 Thanks
    C J
    Meat-free Monday for us today - I am making roasted red peppers stuffed with refried beans and grated cheese. Pud will be a dollop of Greek yogurt topped with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th May 18, 8:53 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 38,216 Thanks
    joedenise
    Was going to be pork chops tonight but there are none left in the freezer - was certain there was another pack in there so will now be rump steak, HM chips, onions, mushrooms & peas.

Denise
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 14th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Something fishy on toast for lunch and pork chop in mushroom (with last of mushrooms) tonight. Also cooking Chicken thigh & chorizo and rice etc for tomorrow in SC, out for lunch tomorrow.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 14th May 18, 8:55 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    klew356
    For all i didnít need Ďmuchí yesterday i still managed to spend 30 quid at Morrisonís yesterday, that including two treats of that innocent super smoothies energise juice, yummy, and a steak. So tonight its steak asparagus sweet corn mushrooms and other veggies tbc. Rasps, strawbs and blueberries and yog for pudding. Lunch is a small baked potato with tuna and sweet corn, the tuna because Iím working my way through the cupboards and there are three tins needing used.

The rest of the week will involve mince which possibly will be a big spag bol with brown pasta and lunches will be egg related
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 14th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Lunch today will be a BLT roll - have some lovely smoked back bacon from the butcher. Dinner tonight will be chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce, jersey royals, broccoli and green beans. Fruit salad and greek yogurt with honey and toasted nuts/seeds for pud.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 241.5/700
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th May 18, 8:28 PM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 49,315 Thanks
    kerri gt
    OH had pasta when he got in. I've just had a chicken breast with some bread sauce (was frozen in little ice cube trays at xmas) with minted peas, and cherry tomatoes with sauerkraut because the end of the salad I was going have was mushy....yuk!
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 15th May 18, 6:43 AM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 37,687 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Chicken tikka with a huge salad for me, jacket spuds for the men and some corn on the cob that needs using up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

28Posts Today

2,712Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin