Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,162Posts
    • 20,589Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 59
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 41,118 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi frualish - I bought a 'vintage' one from e bay recently for my DD and her boyfriend, same era as mine, which was bought in 1989 and is still going strong.

I paid 20 delivered for DD's one and it looks like it's never been used

The new ones are lovely and shiny, but cook too 'hot' for my liking
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 10-04-2018 at 6:33 AM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Itisme
    • By Itisme 9th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Itisme
    Spinach and ricotta tortelloni with garlic bread, activia cereal yoghurt, and ocean spray cranberry juice.
    Last edited by Itisme; 09-04-2018 at 9:54 PM.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 51,006 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Welcome frugalish I'm afraid can't help on the slow cooker front as I don't have one myself but when I do my casseroles in the oven I've started adding the veg later than the meat in stages (so things like carrots and potatoes that take longer before mushrooms that cook quickly). That way they don't get as over cooked. In addition I often batch cook so knowing that the casserole will be reheated I don't stress to much if the veg are still a little al dente after 'first cook'

On the subject of which, I had LO cauli cheese with a portion of oxtail casserole for dinner tonight. Two glass dishes freed up for the next batch cook. OH has pasta of his own making.

Not sure about tomrrow, have mashed swede to use so I might have that, OH wants pasta AGAIN ....he'll start speaking Italian at this rate
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Apr 18, 10:45 PM
    • 11,300 Posts
    • 30,226 Thanks
    suki1964
    Yep, slow cookers cook a lot hotter then they once did, ruined a bit of beef last week. It was edible, but well over cooked

I prefer now to slow cook on the hob

Mum is back eating

I lifted her from hospital after her op and she says, ' oh don't worry about me, a tin of soup will do me just fine' and thats with her not eating all day. So I said we were having a burger and salt, would she try one. Try one?? She Neal licked the plate lol

Since then she's eaten everything Ive sat in front of her

Tonight we had pulled pork thats been in the fridge for a month at least, on jacket spuds and salad. Was ok, but oh so sweet and lord knows what preservatives were in it seeing as it was that old and still hadn't gone off lol ( was two days OOD )
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • JIL
    • By JIL 9th Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 20,589 Thanks
    JIL
    Hi all, I hope you don't mind me joining in here. I've got an old Tower slow cooker (from the '70s / '80s - one of those lovely brown and cream ones! ) that I've been using for about twenty years, but it's not getting hot enough any more, and things aren't cooking properly . So I have to invest in a new one. I saw one in Mr T for 15 which I thought looked reasonable, but I don't want to buy something that'll only last five minutes and then have to be replaced again. Can I ask for any recommendations from you lovely folk? I'm very sad to have to get rid of the Tower one - I thought it would outlive me!

In light of not having a working slow cooker, I've got a chicken casserole in the oven slow cooker style - heat it up on the hob, preheat the oven, bung the casserole in, bring back up to temp then turn the oven off and leave for a couple of hours without opening the door. Just reheat when needed. Works well for meat, but tends to sometimes overcook veg

The casserole should do two of us for three meals each midweek, probably with jacket potatoes and peas added. We've got a yellow sticker pizza for tonight - cheese feast, yum!
    Originally posted by frugalish
    I bought mine for 6 from Asda about 8/9 years ago, it's a bit battered has a low and a high setting and I think it does a great job. I have looked on their website it's the George one at 14. I'm sure very similar to the Tesco one.

https://direct.asda.com/george-home-3l-slow-cooker-stainless-steel/001585477,default,pd.html

I did buy a multi pot, it was all singing and dancing, I gave it away to my son. Far too complicated.

Tonight we had actifry roast potatoes and parsnips, home made Yorkshire puddings, stuffing, chicken, green beans and sprouting broccoli and gravy. Yum.
    Last edited by JIL; 09-04-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 41,118 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Some form of marinated chicken breasts with cous cous Salad, will decide on flavours when brain wakes up

Went for Satay chicken with Soy, ginger and lime cous cous Salad
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 10-04-2018 at 3:31 PM.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 40,019 Thanks
    joedenise
    It will be a veggie dinner tonight - Linda McCartney red onion & rosemary sausages, new potatoes, cabbage and brocolli.

Denise
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 10th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Had frozen faggots and chip shop chips last night (and peas) with Gson. So tonight I will be having the left over chips, last 2 faggots and the l/o tinned tomatoes which we had for brekkie on toast with eggs. Not a lover of tinned toms so only have when Gson stays over to help eating them. We are out for lunch so only need small dinner tonight.
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 10th Apr 18, 10:09 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 5,232 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    The butcher's roast chicken last night was excellent - all the remaining meat bagged up and frozen to make a pie and stir fry later in the week.

Tonight we're trying the butcher's burgers, in a bun with salad, served with chunky chips and onion rings.

I've just made a lime and coconut loaf - we'll probably have a slice of that with custard for pud.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 296/700
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 51,006 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I've got a steak out of the freezer to have with the mashed swede that needs using and some veg I will liberate from the fridge or freezer.

Have a chicken in the freezer I really need to defrost and roast at some stage.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• *iluvmymini*
    • By *iluvmymini* 10th Apr 18, 3:25 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 2,062 Thanks
    *iluvmymini*
    Sunday: Roast chicken, roast pots and yorkshires, cauli and broccoli cheese and carrots.
    Yestaerday: McDonalds whilst out and about.
    Today: Pork shoulder in s/c for pulled pork wraps. Will also fry up some peppers and onions to add in.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 10th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    • 11,300 Posts
    • 30,226 Thanks
    suki1964
    Pork and apple burgers, salad and skinny fries and onion rings

Pure junk food but Ive been a busy bee working on another challenge and didn't want to have to stop to cook
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 10th Apr 18, 6:26 PM
    • 2,129 Posts
    • 7,330 Thanks
    Ilona
    Broccoli, leeks, parsnip, carrot, potato, and spinach, steamed with a blob of mayo. Just finished it.

Ilona
    I love second hand furniture that other people have thrown out. I wear other people's second hand clothes. I eat out of date (yellow sticker) food, and I love skip diving. My brilliant life on a pension.
    • frugalish
    • By frugalish 10th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    frugalish
    I did a post thanking everyone for your comments about my slow cooker question, then lost it!!

So, thank you everyone for your comments! I'm going to try ebay for a second hand one, and I'm going to add the veg later It's good to know that Cookworks ones last well, and that the Asd@ one is probably the same as Mr T but cheaper!

We've got chicken casserole with baked potato and peas for dinner, and I've made a butternut squash, courgette and lentil soup for lunches out of storecupboard and freezer. It actually tastes quite nice!
    "What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" - George Eliot

Grocery Challenge April 18 183.42 / 250 = 66.58
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    • 4,729 Posts
    • 55,043 Thanks
    Jazee
    DH is cooking kippers for breakfast. Dinner will be one of his salmon and spinach pasta creations. He's head cook today and I'm head gardener.
    Savings 2018: 795.85
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 40,019 Thanks
    joedenise
    An easy day today! Boiled eggs for breakfast; LO butternut squash soup for lunch and a beef stew from the freezer. Will only need to reheat and make mash!

Denise
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 11th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 5,232 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Tonight's dinner will be hm chicken curry and bombay potatoes from the freezer, together with a veg curry I made yesterday. Will be served with pilau rice and some hm garlic and coriander naans.

I have a few limes to use up so might make a key lime pie for pud if I can find a tried and tested recipe.

eta Actually, couldn't get condensed milk from the local shop, so I'm going to make a lime cheesecake instead.
    Last edited by hatful-of-hollow; 11-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 296/700
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 11,300 Posts
    • 30,226 Thanks
    suki1964
    Found some slice turkey in the freezer since Christmas, has a bit of freezer burn on the edges but theres plenty fir the three of us with that trimmed off

Cauliflower cheese, roasties, carrots and parsnips, makes up the the lack of veg yesterday
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 41,118 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Chilli and nachoes here - it's a crowd pleaser and uses up a load of peppers and onions from the fridge
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 20,724 Posts
    • 55,820 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Chorizo risotto here tonight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,814Posts Today

8,715Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin