Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,971Posts
    • 19,911Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 43
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Mar 18, 7:20 AM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 38,341 Thanks
    joedenise
    No cooking for me tonight - DD1 is cooking a eal for us tonight. All I kmow is it'll probably be pork.

Denise
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 9th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Date Night, so no cooking for me

I am delivering a 'food parcel' to MIL today, at 86 she eats like a bird, but relies mainly on frozen ready meals. Whilst I can understand it makes life easier, they can't be good for you all the time. Anyway a couple of weeks ago, I asked if she would mind if I portioned some food up for her when I cook, so she has something homemade at least, today is my second 'run' and I am taking stew and dumpling (just one), butter chicken and rice, sausages with Dauphinoise potatoes and peas, Savory mince x 2, chilli con carne, bacon and lentil soup x 2 and a Lamb Tagine.

Does anyone else do similar, if so what do you use to freeze them in, I have a few of the metal takeaway style trays with the cardboard lids currently.
    Originally posted by Islandmaid

i do this for my dad. depending on what it is I either put in old margarine tubs for pan or microwave heating, or I have some portion size dishes that he can put straight in the oven. he washes them up and returns them to me for refilling.
    I had lunch out yesterday so only had soup for tea. today i'm having sausages with a small portion of mash I found in the freezer, carrots and cauli, yorkshire pudding and onion gravy. i'll cook up all the batter mix cos I can freeze them once made for a quick reheat on sunday when oven space will be a squeeze.
    gc 2017 1841.27.
    2018 jan 124.69/130 feb 157.97/150 mar 221.33/200 apr 223.04/250
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 11,723 Posts
    • 162,832 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I cooked for my father in law when he was alive, he missed steamed puddings so I always made sure he had some of those in his freezer too. Sadly his taste went as he moved through his 90's and he lost interest in eating so stopped asking for meals from home.

Lunch today will be Minestrone soup with the usual accompaniments for each of us and supper this evening will be Veggie Thai Red Curry with basmati rice and a fat free yoghurt for pud.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    MandM90
    i do this for my dad. depending on what it is I either put in old margarine tubs for pan or microwave heating, or I have some portion size dishes that he can put straight in the oven. he washes them up and returns them to me for refilling.
    I had lunch out yesterday so only had soup for tea. today i'm having sausages with a small portion of mash I found in the freezer, carrots and cauli, yorkshire pudding and onion gravy. i'll cook up all the batter mix cos I can freeze them once made for a quick reheat on sunday when oven space will be a squeeze.
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    I do this for my nanny, when we go to Ireland. We try and leave her with 25+ meals (she goes to a day centre 4 days a week and has a hot meal there, so that actually keeps her going quite a while). I freeze them in normal plastic tupperware containers as she heats in the microwave. We (my mum and I) keep smaller tubs there as she doesn't eat huge amounts and then we can fit more in the freezer.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 9th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 4,816 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Dinner tonight will be Tom Kerridge lighter southern style chicken with oven chips.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 241.5/700
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 37,756 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Thanks guys, and I will include a few puds too, MIL loves a pud

My friend suggests those plastic takeaway boxes and has offered to save some and she has a hoard of teenagers that buy takeaway most weekends, they might even wash them first

I am guessing they will last a while washed and returned.

I make soup for work each week, I might ask if she would like some for quick lunches, she generally buys cuppa soups, I just don't want her to think I am taking over, she is SO independent, hope I am as fit at 86
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 52,041 Thanks
    Jazee
    We're having spaghetti bolognaise tonight.
    Savings 2018: 1573.11
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 7,043 Posts
    • 49,335 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Thanks guys, and I will include a few puds too, MIL loves a pud

My friend suggests those plastic takeaway boxes and has offered to save some and she has a hoard of teenagers that buy takeaway most weekends, they might even wash them first

I make soup for work each week, I might ask if she would like some for quick lunches, she generally buys cuppa soups, I just don't want her to think I am taking over, she is SO independent, hope I am as fit at 86
    i use plastic takeaway tubs to freeze our portions in, and to take over to DM on boxing day as I always take her over some LO Xmas dinner - sometimes I even get the tubs back (hence I don't use my good glass dishes as i only have 6) The plastic takeaway ones work well and last ages (usually the lids go first). If you're short you could always grab some from the shop.

I'm sure MIL doesn't think you're trying to take over - feel free to drop a few meals round this way to from the menu
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 53,794 Thanks
    Pollycat
    T

I have a cupboard full of these, small and large, with lids.
    I use them to freeze my batch cooked chillies, bol, various mince bases.
    They are great, I take them out of the freezer, then flirt the contents out (very quick and easy) and bag the contents as that saves on space.
    I'm sure they'll be perfect.
    I've had ours for years, we've not had a takeaway for ages.

I'm sure your MIL will appreciate the taste of your food over ready meals.
    In fact, could you expand and supply me too?

Tonight's dinner will be chilli and tiger bread, cut thickly and spread with 'proper' butter.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Mar 18, 10:34 AM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 37,756 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    tiger bread, cut thickly and spread with 'proper' butter.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    'Homer style Drool' - I miss bread ..... especially thick cut crusty bread, slathered in butter
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 9th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,935 Posts
    • 7,103 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Pan fried sea bass with pea risotto.
    Hiraeth
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 9th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Had cheese and salad panini for lunch with apple and hm rice pudding.

Supper - fish and chips from the chippy - a treat that we have approximately bi-monthly.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 +
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 2280/6,000
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Mar 18, 6:30 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Out for the evening with friends for a few glasses of wine SO....

Supper was a flattened chicken breast with a Gran Padano and Panko crust served with spaghetti and a garlic, olive oil and fresh diced tomato 'sauce'. No specific recipe.

Desert was nothing.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 7,043 Posts
    • 49,335 Thanks
    kerri gt
    OH had quorn sausages, chips and beans.

I fancied something comforting so had boiled eggs and soldiers. Followed by rice pudding with blackberry, elderberry and ginger compote.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Mar 18, 6:58 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I fancied something comforting so had boiled eggs and soldiers
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Toasted soldiers?

Hmmmm not had that in a while..... maybe breakfast tomorrow!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 7,043 Posts
    • 49,335 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Toasted soldiers?

Hmmmm not had that in a while..... maybe breakfast tomorrow!
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    I like mine just as bread and butter, OH has his toasted.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 53,794 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I like mine just as bread and butter, OH has his toasted.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    You are me.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Mar 18, 7:47 AM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 52,041 Thanks
    Jazee
    Ok, so breakfast this morning will be boiled egg and soldiers, haha. I believe that DH is planning to make a beef curry for dinner tonight.
    Savings 2018: 1573.11
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 2,564 Posts
    • 37,756 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Dippy eggs - yummm

Making a HM lemon curd roulade today for Mother's Day pud tomorrow

Tonight's dinner will be the beef stroganoff we wer supposed to have mid week, and I will prep beef stew for tomorrow's lunch.

MIL will be coming for lunch, and I want to see my kids in the morning. DH is more than capable, but has been working like a mad man, so we plumped for an easy pre prepped Sunday lunch, ensuring maximum lazy time on Sunday

She was chuffed with her meals yesterday BTW
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 5,142 Posts
    • 38,341 Thanks
    joedenise
    Having a small jacket with tuna mayo for lunch and dinner tonight will be HM faggots with onion gravy. Will make those this morning and will be making enough to add a couple of portions to the freezer for another meal in a couple of weeks time.

Denise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,354Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin