Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,955Posts
    • 19,864Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 42
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 51,912 Thanks
    Jazee
    We'll having an all day breakfast for dinner tonight. I might just actually have a sausage sandwich myself.
    Savings 2018: 1478.11
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 7th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 49,315 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Bagsy not sitting behind you in Yoga class
    Originally posted by Islandmaid

DD and her BF are coming for dinner tonight, it was supposed to be stroganoff, as it's one of her favourites - after several calls/texts etc she now would like Mongolian Beef and all the trimmings.

I know I said I was looking forward to seeing her and wanted to cook something she liked, but when did dinner with your mother turn into an ordering service.... my fault I know, too soft
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Sounds delish - I believe that the ordering service starts around the time they move out and lull you into that sense you miss them

Some fabulous meals going on this week - Hatful glad your water has come back on - it is amazing how we take things for granted so easily. Think that there are people incl children in the world who walk for miles everyday to collect water. We're really very lucky.

Well dinner for me last night was some more 'green' soup with sweetcorn and some grated cheese on top (because cheese makes everything good ) I have one more portion that I will have for lunch today and that's that used up. Needless to say, I would prob keep upwind of me for the next day or so still

OH has requested stir fry for dinner tonight which I have nothing in for...I made the 'mistake' of asking if he wanted anything when I pop into town later. Not exactly in line with my plans of using things up but it's healthy and not overly expensive so I shall pick up the ingredients and do that as a quick dinner.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 7th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 38,201 Thanks
    joedenise
    Lunch was leftovers - shepherds pie for DH and chicken curry for me.

Dinner tonight will be chicken kiev, potatoes and veg.

Denise
    • caronc
    • By caronc 7th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 24,249 Thanks
    caronc
    Oven tray bake of chicken wings, peppers, onion, corn cobette and sweet potato
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 54/120
    GC YTD 2018- 445/710
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 19,995 Posts
    • 53,644 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We're having 'freezer surprise'.
    I have a few things in my freezer that have either missed being labelled or the writing has worn off.
    So, I've decided to get one out each week and see if we fancy eating it.
    Today's dish appears to be lamb mince with potatoes, carrots and swede or possibly turnip.
    I've bought 2 giant Yorkshire puddings and we'll have it in those.
    Needs padding out a bit.
    My idea is frozen sprouts & cauliflower, OH wants a total slob-out of tinned potatoes and tinned peas.
    As I'm dossing on the sofa catching up with some recorded TV and he'll be in the kitchen, I guess he'll get his choice.
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 7th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 1,629 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    Tonight has been slow cooker chick pea and kale curry, served with pearl barley for the offspring and green beans for me
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 7th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Steak, new potatoes, tomato, mushrooms and rocket
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 2280/6,000
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 8th Mar 18, 7:36 AM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 37,684 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Making minced beef pasties to use up some bits and bobs, will do new potatoes and cabbage for the men, I will have the mince mixture over stirfry Savoy cabbage
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 8th Mar 18, 8:05 AM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 7,051 Thanks
    MandM90
    Yesterday I made lentil and mushroom bolognese in the SC. I have French class later so I'll make myself some courgetti, and boil DH and DD up some lasagne sheets (need to use up!)...easy!

Lunch is leftover vegan shepherdless pie with swede mash and cabbage...yummo!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11,649 Posts
    • 162,096 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be home made Minestrone Soup with chicken for me and a sandwich for He Who Knows. Supper tonight will be Bratwurst with oven roasted cooked new potatoes with oil spray and a nice big salad. Fat free yoghurt for pudding and our usual cup of black coffee.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 8th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 51,912 Thanks
    Jazee
    We're having cod in parsley sauce with new potatoes and a mix of veg.
    Savings 2018: 1478.11
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 8th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 4,803 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Lunch today will be a bowl of cawl with a bread roll and some cheese. Tonight's dinner is chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce with roasted rosemary potatoes, carrots, broc and peas. SF jelly and fruit for pud.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 241.5/700
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 8th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 5,115 Posts
    • 38,201 Thanks
    joedenise
    DH is having eggs on toast for lunch and I'm having scrambled eggs with spinach on toast.

Dinner tonight will be HM meatballs in a ratatiuille sauce with spaghetti. Will make extra meztballs and ratatouille for the freezer.

Denise
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm having a bigger lunch and smaller dinner so I'm having vegan mac n cheese with peas and carrots for lunch.

I'm making HM roast butternut squash soup for dinner tonight.

Yesterday I made lentil and mushroom bolognese in the SC. I have French class later so I'll make myself some courgetti, and boil DH and DD up some lasagne sheets (need to use up!)...easy!

Lunch is leftover vegan shepherdless pie with swede mash and cabbage...yummo!
    Originally posted by MandM90
    Both sound delicious.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 8th Mar 18, 6:06 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Fish fingers, chips and peas for the crew with curry sauce and i made a quiche but not very hungry so will keep for dinner tomorrow.

If anyone out there is gluten free like me i used the Mrs Crimbles mix that is new in Morrissys and it was amazing!!!! I am lactose intolerant too so used my dairy free margarine and it was crispy and TASTY! will definitely be buying again.
    1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - 1000.00.00/1000 Baby Step 1-COMPLETE
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2 (A work in progress)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    • 19,995 Posts
    • 53,644 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We're having mac'n'cheese (blue brie).

I'm adding some smoked pancetta and mushrooms.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 8th Mar 18, 6:31 PM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 49,315 Thanks
    kerri gt
    As sort of expected, soup got jilted in favour of a cheese and chutney sarnie for lunch. MUST eat it tomorrow - prob for dinner.

Dinner tonight was Quorn cottage pie with beans for OH, and I had the beef stew thing I made the other week from diced rump steak (that wasn't great as steak) and stout / cranberry sauce and 'stuff' from the cupboard. I chucked some mushrooms in with that and re-heated it in the oven. Had it with peas / sweetcorn and a yorkie pud from the freezer. Just thought I could've also cooked up some stuffing...oh well, nevermind. Always seem to overbuy that at xmas.

Pud will be some rice pudding (been in the cupboard for ages..it's Asda Smart price range to give you some idea on that one!) with a dollop of elder and blackberry with ginger compote I rustled up last night.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 8th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 8,335 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Brunch: chocolate muffin!! Was going to have a scone but the cafe had run out.
    Lunch: hm leek and potato soup ( no bread with it due to earlier muffin)
    Dinner ys goat cheese, butternut squash and feta cheese quiche with salad.
    Raspberry yoghurt and raspberries.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 2280/6,000
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 9th Mar 18, 6:35 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    creative gal
    Chicken pie with either oven chips or new potatoes and peas.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Mar 18, 7:19 AM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 37,684 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Date Night, so no cooking for me

I am delivering a 'food parcel' to MIL today, at 86 she eats like a bird, but relies mainly on frozen ready meals. Whilst I can understand it makes life easier, they can't be good for you all the time. Anyway a couple of weeks ago, I asked if she would mind if I portioned some food up for her when I cook, so she has something homemade at least, today is my second 'run' and I am taking stew and dumpling (just one), butter chicken and rice, sausages with Dauphinoise potatoes and peas, Savory mince x 2, chilli con carne, bacon and lentil soup x 2 and a Lamb Tagine.

Does anyone else do similar, if so what do you use to freeze them in, I have a few of the metal takeaway style trays with the cardboard lids currently.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin