Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,957Posts
    • 19,870Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 40
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 4th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    hatful I hope your water is restored soon. Do you still have snow? You could use that to boil veg?
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    No sign of the water returning - and no snow to be seen either - it all disappeared this morning. Local shop has sold out of water as well ... Never mind, it'll be beans on toast for dinner and hopefully roast chicken tomorrow.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 241.5/700
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 31,766 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Neither of us felt like having a proper meal this evening so it is a get your own effort. OH has just made himself jacket spud with baked beans and free range eggs. I am having mushroom rice with added chicken cooked in the Remoska. Just made some strawberry jelly to have with cream, but doubt it will be set in time, probably Peanut butter cookies to nibble later then
    • JIL
    • By JIL 4th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 19,870 Thanks
    JIL
    We went to the local Indian restaurant and were the only ones in there.
    Poppadoms, pickles, stuffed pepper, tandoori chicken, vegetable rice, nan bread, chicken jalfrezi, paneer tikka and okra.
    Two drinks and a bill of 21.50.

Lovely not to cook, we walked there and it was great to get out of the house.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 4th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,060 Thanks
    Witless
    Tomorrow might be a chicken curry
    Originally posted by Witless
    The best laid plans gang aft awry ....

As a combination of yesterday's 'munchies' (as predicted) & CBA ...

I ended up with a fry up - soft fried eggs, pork & leek and pork & apple sausages (butcher hand made), black & white pudding, grilled tomatoes, garlic mushrooms, smoked back bacon, toasted sodas and tea, bread (batch loaf) & butter.
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 4th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Roast chicken dinner for us tonight with peas, carrots and cauliflower cheese gratin. Have been fancying cauli cheese for a week and was totally worth the effort. It was scrummy.
    Made rice krispie cake covered in chocolate for pudding.
    1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - 1000.00.00/1000 Baby Step 1-COMPLETE
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2 (A work in progress)
    • C J
    • By C J 4th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 6,093 Thanks
    C J
    We had roast beef, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, carrots, peas, cabbage and gravy. Ice cream for pud as I had no enthusiasm for making anything (but ice cream was what we fancied anyway, as luck would have it).

It was a large joint, so it will be the same again tomorrow. Then I want to make the rest into a cottage pie, but I no longer have a mincer. Do you think I could pulse chunks of cooked beef in the food processor, or am I going to have to finely chop it by hand? Advice greatly appreciated!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 4th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 7,039 Posts
    • 49,316 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Back from Toby and totally stuffed. I joined OH in a veggie option and then pigged out on the veg and yorkies. Even had the veggie gravy and didn't really miss the meat at all...ok them gammon did look good but I didn't want OH feeling the odd one out. Ice cream for pud.

CJ I'd try pulsing the meat, just do I in bursts. I guess it will be more finely chopped than minced but should work fine. I have a brand new Spong mincer from the 70's still in its original box...wedding present for my parents my mum has never opened ...I have no use for it but can't part with it a I love it.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 4th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 37,687 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Bit of advice please.

I want to make beef stroganoff for a family meal, but due to DDs shifts it might be any time within a 2 hour window, can I make it in the slow cooker and add the sour cream prior to serving?

It's her fav meal, and we haven't seen her for ages, so don't want to make something else if I can help it.

Thanks in advance x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 11,021 Posts
    • 29,374 Thanks
    suki1964
    Yes, just add the cream when off the heat before serving
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 4th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 37,687 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Suki Thank you
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 162,112 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Goodness knows where or what lunch will be today, we've a viewing on the house at 10 this morning and the estate agent likes us away and the car off the drive. it's a second viewing so I hope it made a favourable impression the first time. If we get anyone else we'll spend most of the day out. Supper this evening though will be a couple of Mr.T's YS beefburgers with new potatoes and veg.

Whirlwind day! lunch was soup (surprise NOT!) and cheese scones and for supper as we've been out for another viewing on the house for a greater part of the afternoon is going to be a very easy savoury cheese bread and butter pudding with baked beans.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 05-03-2018 at 6:36 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 5th Mar 18, 10:01 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Still no water here in West Wales (27 hours now), quite a large area affected and even the nearest tesco and morrisons 16 miles away have sold out of bottled water...

So for lunch, we'll have some soup from the freezer with cheese and crackers. Not sure about dinner yet. We were told last night that the supply would be back this morning - now they are saying it will be late evening. Can't even pop out for dinner as all the pubs and restaurants in the area are closed for food as they don't have water either...

Actually, there's a small dribble from the taps now, so I'm going to fill a few pans in case it goes off again - we might get our roast chicken dinner yet.
    • archwaysaver
    • By archwaysaver 5th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    archwaysaver
    Something with millet as we have a bit to use up - and/or celeriac. Some came in the veg box this week and I'm not really sure what to do with it! Maybe a curry?
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: 20,100
    So far: 3,749.89
    (tuition 1,920/4,100, cushion 456/1,000, dream 1,300.44/15,000)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • 20,004 Posts
    • 53,677 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Tonight's dinner will be oink pie with potato, carrot and parsnip topping.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 5th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 51,917 Thanks
    Jazee
    We're having salmon, leek and broccoli pasta. Someone on this thread had it last week I think and it inspired me. Can't remember who though, sorry, but thank you.
    Savings 2018: 1478.11
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 5th Mar 18, 2:20 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 37,687 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    MrsLW Hope the second viewing went well x

Hatful What a nightmare, hope you are reconnected soon, have they not wheeled in water tankers etc?

Tonight's delight will be Toad in the hole with cabbage, carrots and gravy, proper rib sticker meal
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 5th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Thanks Islandmaid, we haven't had any alternative water which is pretty poor considering the taps have been off since 7am yesterday. Thankfully, there's a steady trickle now, so hopefully the supply will be back at 100% soon and I'll be able to cook a roast dinner tonight.
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 5th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    riotlady
    Fingers crossed for you Hatful!

We've dug some plaice and lemon sole out of the freezer from our last fish box so we're going to try and make some battered fish goujions tonight with cajun wedges
    Make 2018 in 2018 challenge-
    509/2018
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 5th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 11,651 Posts
    • 162,112 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    They've made us an offer IM but it's too soon and too low and they aren't on the market with their property yet. We'll wait and see what happens for a while but it's nice to have had an offer this quickly. The estate agent bless him has advised not jumping too quickly at offers but counselled patience and thinks we'll get closer to the asking price if we wait so we're listening to him, he's the expert!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 5th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 37,687 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Sounds like an offer to keep on the table, the estate agent sounds sensible, not just after any offer, really pleased for you - were there is one offer more will follow xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin