Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,961Posts
    • 19,890Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 39
    • Maiden Mum
    • By Maiden Mum 3rd Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Maiden Mum
    Convenience food for us all tonight. Chicken en croute, peas and wedges for us, duck and pancakes for DD and ribs and wedges for DS. Not very cheap but nice for a treat ad we don't as a family have things like takeaways very often.
    • bagpuss38
    • By bagpuss38 3rd Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    bagpuss38
    Homemade beef and rosemary pie, filing been in slow cooker all day. Just made a shortcrust pastry and whacked it the oven.
    Serving with onion mash, carrots and green beans.
    Perfect winter food !!!128525;
    SIMPLY BE-577.11
    Very BNPL - 353.00
    • Witless
    • By Witless 3rd Mar 18, 7:20 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    Witless
    Following the simplistic theme - stuffed liver wrapped in bacon, onions, mushrooms, potatoes & peas with a liberal addition of butter washed down with a glass of milk.

Tomorrow might be a chicken curry - I bought 2 packs of YS spicy cooked chicken thighs (1.75 for 9 - weighs about the same as a full chicken) though if the munchies strike (it's the sort of evening when they could) there may well be a nibble while watching whatever film grabs my fancy followed by chicken sandwiches for supper.

If that's the case I'll wing tomorrow, but it'll probably* be something hot & spicy - it's still that type of weather.

*Bangers, mash & beans is always a good fall back option though, especially with lashings of onion gravy.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 20,020 Posts
    • 53,743 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Most of the snow now melted here.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Lordy!
    Just come home from the pub.
    Pavements here have at least an inch of snow, more on the drive.
    And it's icy.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 3rd Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Ys flavouredchicken chopped up an placed into a ys wrap with salad.

Rest of the hm custard and plum crumble
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 2280/6,000
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Mar 18, 12:45 AM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 29,406 Thanks
    suki1964
    Was the chefs night off so a cheese and ham toastie and tinned soup for dinner here
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 4th Mar 18, 7:39 AM
    • 2,554 Posts
    • 37,698 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Roast pork and all the trimm8ngs today.

Also making Butternut and chilli soup for work lunches.

Snows all gone, so back to normal from tomorrow
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 4th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 51,919 Thanks
    Jazee
    We have sleet at the moment. Food wise:
    Breakfast: BLT
    Lunch: Jacket potatoes with hm chilli from the freezer
    Dinner: Takeaway at DD's house
    Savings 2018: 1478.11
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 20,020 Posts
    • 53,743 Thanks
    Pollycat
    On this incredibly grey morning (we appear to have had more snow too ), I'll be cooking lamb shanks, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and flageolet beans in the slow cooker.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 4th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 49,323 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Lordy!
    Just come home from the pub.
    Pavements here have at least an inch of snow, more on the drive.
    And it's icy.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    It's all gone here now and we're up to a heady 6 degrees....bikini time

Last night was tofu korma with some red rice and grains. TBH I wasn't overly keen on that amount of tofu, it needed other veg with it. OH has a small bowl too and there's one portion left but I'm not sure about it. Might have to make it into something else.

Also made soup, roasted cauli stem and leaves, kale, roasted onion and garlic and a few lone sprouts, chucked in a bit of Gorgonzola too. Well it's VERY green. TBH I'm not 100% sure about it. It tastes a bit bitter and needs a lift. I shall persevere and try to use it up this week for my lunches - .perhaps it will improve with age
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,200 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I've got a big pot of what will be broccoli and stilton soup simmering on the hob which we'll have with a couple of the cheese scones I made yesterday for our lunch and supper this evening will be a vegetable dhansak I think served with onion rice and I made blackberry and loganberry stevia sweetened fruit compote yesterday from home growns in the freezer so that will be pudding with some plain skyr.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 4th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 38,257 Thanks
    joedenise
    Will be making a leek and potato soup for lunch. Tonight's dinner will be a HM chicken curry with rice.
    • purpleybat
    • By purpleybat 4th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 2,935 Thanks
    purpleybat
    Following the simplistic theme - stuffed liver wrapped in bacon, onions, mushrooms, potatoes & peas with a liberal addition of butter washed down with a glass of milk.

Tomorrow might be a chicken curry - I bought 2 packs of YS spicy cooked chicken thighs (1.75 for 9 - weighs about the same as a full chicken) though if the munchies strike (it's the sort of evening when they could) there may well be a nibble while watching whatever film grabs my fancy followed by chicken sandwiches for supper.
    Originally posted by Witless

this may be a silly question but how do you stuff liver? do you fry/bake it after? it sounds really nice and something i'd like to try.
    tonight we're having roast pork and all the bits, I found the pork in the freezer while making space for the leftovers from yesterday. a nice bonus to find stuff you've forgotten
    gc 2017 1841.27.
    2018 jan 124.69/130 feb 157.97/150 mar 221.33/200 apr 223.04/250
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 11,034 Posts
    • 29,406 Thanks
    suki1964
    I'm heading to Mrs Lws as all that sounds delicious

Head cook is back on duty today so it's a roast chicken dinner. It's a HUGE chicken, 3 kg, cost just 2 in the factory shop, will do a few days. I've also got some nice posh stuffing in the freezer from Christmas. Will do a cauliflower cheese and Brussels. Bit short on veg this week as there are none in the shops

I'm also going to make some macaroni cheese for my lunch boxes this week, a pot of vegetable soup for Mr Suki's flask and a pot of leek and potato for me and mum

Might even rustle up a cake as I'm coming down in eggs or a pavlova and lemon curd
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 4th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,809 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Well, I was planning a roast chicken dinner, but we haven't had a water supply since early this morning and it seems it may be some time before we get it back - multiple leaks in the local water mains apparently...and some of the leaks haven't even been located yet.

We do have some bottled water, but will need that for drinking and don't really want to use it to boil spuds or make gravy with.... Will see what the next couple of hours brings, we may be looking at beans on toast instead
    Miles walked in 2018 - 241.5/700
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 4th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 1,632 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    Lunch was some HM leek and potato soup, which properly hit the spot.

I've had a rummage in the freezer and found some wraps, so we'll use them for pizzas tonight, and I'll have sweetcorn, tuna, peppers and onion on mine.
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 4th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 6,597 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    I wasn't particularly hungry last night, so it was just some lamb grill steaks from the freezer and a few frozen veg.

For tonight I've got some sausages out the freezer. Might cut them up and throw them in with some pesto pasta. For some reason my freezer seems full of sausages! I guess because they are always on a good YS offer in my supermarket!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 4th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 49,323 Thanks
    kerri gt
    hatful I hope your water is restored soon. Do you still have snow? You could use that to boil veg?

Meeting friends at a Toby for dinner tonight, not 100% ideal with OH being a (fussy) veggie...they don't seem to get that not all vegetarians like mushrooms. Still I'm sure there'll be something on the menu for him to eat...or beans on toast when we get in
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Mar 18, 4:51 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Left over lasagne share with hubby for lunch.

Dinner - hubby has requested chicken curry- feel too lazy to make it from scratch so I will be using one of my two emergency jars. Having it with rice, ys samosa and ys onion bahji ( not sure of the spelling!).
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 2280/6,000
    • caronc
    • By caronc 4th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 3,776 Posts
    • 24,297 Thanks
    caronc
    Braised then roasted pork belly slices, baby potatoes, savoy cabbage and broccoli
    GC - Feb18 68/120, Mar 104/150, Apr 164/200, May 96/120
    GC YTD 2018- 487/710
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,592Posts Today

9,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin