Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 5,473Posts
    • 26,368Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner?
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner? 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 05-01-2019 at 7:41 PM.
Page 276
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Jan 20, 12:03 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 54,977 Thanks
    kerri gt
    No idea tonight, I still have OH cold / throat infection and sound like Bett Lynch. On the upside thankfully it seems to be able to be kept under control with some over the counter drugs so if it's just riding it through as it is, I can cope with that.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• SquirrelSmall
    • By SquirrelSmall 11th Jan 20, 4:48 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    SquirrelSmall
    Last night was moussaka from the freezer, which was delicious.

I left early doors this morning to do a visa run (I'm back in Egypt for the foreseeable). I came home to find that the OH had created, from the contents of the fridge - a moussaka!

As such, we are now having friends around tomorrow night to demolish the moussaka beast, and two random freezer cartons (hopefully chilli, but who can say?!) are defrosting.

I am applying wine to salve the trauma of a 10 hour day in a car and a visa office.
    • Greenglockenspiel
    • By Greenglockenspiel 12th Jan 20, 9:35 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Greenglockenspiel
    Pesto pasta with greens and borlotti beans last night - Id bought a ton of them a while back with no plan.

Tonight will either be cauliflower tacos or the second round of fridge curry that I made on Friday to use up all the veg before I went shopping yesterday, depending on whether I can find space for it in the freezer!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 12th Jan 20, 10:23 AM
    • 5,798 Posts
    • 64,752 Thanks
    Jazee
    Dinner last night was chicken and bacon pasta. Tonight we're having liver and mash and peas.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #104 Jan 0/total 0/3600
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Jan 20, 10:27 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 43,409 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Roast here today, we’ve had a tin of Duck Confit in the cupboard for ages so we’re having that with roasties, tenderstem broccoli and carrots.

Didn’t make the crumble yesterday, so will do that for pud.

Making bacon and lentil soup from leftovers for work lunches
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

200/185
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Jan 20, 11:10 AM
    • 5,473 Posts
    • 26,368 Thanks
    JIL
    We went out last night, very nice meal of pub food in a lovely pub. A bit far to travel though. But we were meeting friends.
    I had hummus and bread to start followed by roasted veg with pesto and halloumi. Not sure halloumi and pesto go together but it was nice.

I have been strictly not buying food and the fridge is bare. Must go and get some fresh stuff today for the week ahead.
    • mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 12th Jan 20, 2:25 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 5,397 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    Yesterday was veg pasta bake, I'm not doing veganuary but trying to have a couple of meat free days a week.

Today I'm cooking carrots, broccoli, green beans, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds with pork belly draft and apple sauce and then tomorrow will be meat free Monday.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 20, 2:28 PM
    • 13,972 Posts
    • 189,450 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Sausages in onion gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots, sprouts and peas and then stewed plums and custard.....real old fashioned comfort foods!
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • C J
    • By C J 12th Jan 20, 3:13 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 8,072 Thanks
    C J
    Came downstairs this morning to discover my fridge freezer had stopped working, so there has been a lot of re-jigging of foodstuffs going on here today. Luckily I have a spare fridge in the garage (aka The Party Fridge) - it’s old and a bit tatty but it has really saved the day. Not much space in the big freezer in the garage, but I’ve managed to save the important stuff into that. Replacing the kitchen fridge freezer was in the budget for this year, but I could have done without the drama! New one ordered, and it arrives tomorrow hurrah.

Dinner tonight will be roast chicken with leftover Christmas pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, stuffing balls, Yorkshire puddings, orange/honey carrots and garlicky creamed parsnips all from the freezer. Apple pie and custard for pud if wanted.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Jan 20, 5:40 PM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 54,977 Thanks
    kerri gt
    What a pain about the fridge freezer CJ but doesn't sound toooo much of a disaster thankfully.

Tonight we're having roast potatoes with asparagus and emmental parcels with beans for OH and spinach for me.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JIL
    • By JIL 12th Jan 20, 8:29 PM
    • 5,473 Posts
    • 26,368 Thanks
    JIL
    Husband has been working on the house today so I made him steak and kidney pie with actifry chips and tender stem broccoli followed by home made rice pudding. He was delighted.
    I had nut roast,sweet potatoes and tenderstem broccoli.
    Daughter had a vegan ready meal. I think it was potato nest with a thai vegetable curry filling. She had some veg with it.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 13th Jan 20, 6:36 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 43,409 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Stir fry today using up fridge gravel and some freezer stash chicken, will serve with egg noodles

200/185
    • klew356
    • By klew356 13th Jan 20, 8:11 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 3,180 Thanks
    klew356
    Morning all,

Friday I did make a pie with fridge veg leftovers – Saturday was the chip van and Sunday I eventually went shopping and meal planned. Made celery soup last night and a few HM sausage rolls with the leftover pastry

Lunch today is LO celery soup and corned beef sandwiches and tea tonight is chilli and rice.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Jan 20, 6:38 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 43,409 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Kedgeree tonight, smoked haddock and LO rice (frozen) with some herbs, spices and bits and bobs

200/185
    • klew356
    • By klew356 14th Jan 20, 7:55 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 3,180 Thanks
    klew356
    Celery soup and a tuna sandwich for lunch. LO chili tonight
    • C J
    • By C J 14th Jan 20, 8:20 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 8,072 Thanks
    C J
    Beef ragu for us tonight, as I have some bendy carrots and limp celery to use up. Mmm, that sounds appetising, doesn't it?!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • allie23
    • By allie23 14th Jan 20, 8:59 AM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 15,291 Thanks
    allie23
    OH is off work today so he is cooking Tuna Crunch for dinner which should do us over two nights.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Save 12k in 2020 - Challenger No 4 - /35,000
    January Grocery Challenge 124.37/150
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Jan 20, 9:06 AM
    • 8,307 Posts
    • 54,977 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Beef ragu for us tonight, as I have some bendy carrots and limp celery to use up. Mmm, that sounds appetising, doesn't it?!
    Originally posted by C J
    just call them 'lightly malleable and wilted' and they'll sound posh

Last night I had some pasta using up some of the mushrooms and massive bag of spinach I bought (what was I thinking, as OH doesn't like spinach - this thing is like the magic porridge pot - it doesn't seem to go down) and the end of a jar of pasta sauce that OH had put for recycling but still had some left.

Also grated over a bit of really stinky cheese I bought back from Austria which I'm regretting a bit. It was rather costly so I need to use it but it is pretty whiffy and the smell puts me off the taste. Any suggestions for ways to use it up greatly appreciated.

Tonight I think I'll prob have the last portion of casserole in the freezer - or get out some LO turkey slices. Have this rotten sore throat / cough that is doing the rounds and although it could be a lot worse, the cough is a real pain.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JIL
    • By JIL 15th Jan 20, 1:35 AM
    • 5,473 Posts
    • 26,368 Thanks
    JIL
    Last night (Monday) we had curry. Husbands was a ready meal selection from Tesco, daughters was vegan quorn in a jar of jalfrezi sauce with some veg thrown in, mine was lentil dahl. We had some vegetable samosas and some birds eye rice and poppadoms with it.

Tonight Tues, busy night so we had sausage Linda McCartney and meat ones for husband, mash onion gravy, broad beans and carrots.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 15th Jan 20, 6:11 AM
    • 5,798 Posts
    • 64,752 Thanks
    Jazee
    We had pizza, wedges and coleslaw last night. Tonight is chicken korma.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread #104 Jan 0/total 0/3600
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,252Users online

Martin's Twitter