Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 2,962Posts
    • 19,893Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 27
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 13th Feb 18, 9:37 PM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 38,258 Thanks
    joedenise
    Hello, please may I ask, what is a colcannon top?
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    Of course you can ask; it's mashed potato with chopped spring onion stirred through. Just adds a bit of interest to boring mashed potatoes and makes it a bit tastier too.

Denise
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Feb 18, 10:49 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 49,323 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Yes, I’ve got a funny feeling that it was the reminants of a stew that I had liquidised ready to make into a soup!
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    just call it a 'short-crusted jus' - £18 in a Gastropub with thrice cooked chips (i.e take them out - are the done? - no - put back into cooker...repeat x 3 ) for £7.50 as a side dish
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Feb 18, 11:06 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    just call it a 'short-crusted jus' - £18 in a Gastropub with thrice cooked chips (i.e take them out - are the done? - no - put back into cooker...repeat x 3 ) for £7.50 as a side dish
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Very good, it made me laugh.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £2280/£6,000
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 14th Feb 18, 7:06 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    creative gal
    Waitrose valentine's meal deal- Spanish cured meats, machengo (sp?)cheese and stuffed olives to start, followed by ribeye steak, potatoes dauphinous (again, I know I've not spelt that right), and babyleaf salad, and if we've got room, salted caramel profiteroles for pudding.
    • C J
    • By C J 14th Feb 18, 8:42 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    C J
    Valentine's meal for us tonight too. We're having a small seafood platter to start - smoked salmon, smoked salmon mousse, a few king prawns, a little white crab mayo, melba toast and some salad leaves - followed by pan fried sea bass and asparagus for the main. Lemon posset for pud.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Feb 18, 8:49 AM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be Baked Bean Soup with chicken for me and a ham sandwich for He Who Knows and supper this evening will be home made Salmon Burgers Scandinavian style with new potatoes steamed green beans, peas and sweetcorn. Fat free 99 calorie yoghurt and fresh berries for pud and a cup of black coffee.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 14th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 38,258 Thanks
    joedenise
    Using up bits and pieces from the fridge and freezer before holiday, we're having prawn salad but only have tomatoes, lettuce & cucumber so will add various pickles and some sweet spicy peppers.

Dinner tonight will be HM "KFC" with chips; beans & corn on the cob.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2,554 Posts
    • 37,700 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Honestly don’t know, bought all the makings for a ‘steak dinner’, but DH isn’t well, and I am pee’d off because he has been home for 2 days and the place is a state, with his bits and pieces left all over the place - I think I will eat chocolate and urge him to have an early night so he feels better tomorrow and goes back to work so I can clean up NB: I was ill earlier in the week, minus the drama still managed to utilise the dishwasher etc
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Feb 18, 5:44 PM
    • 20,020 Posts
    • 53,745 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Of course you can ask; it's mashed potato with chopped spring onion stirred through. Just adds a bit of interest to boring mashed potatoes and makes it a bit tastier too.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    I thought mashed potato and spring onion was called champ and colcannon was mashed potato and cabbage.

Either way, I often put either of those in my mashed potato to top a pie.
    And sometimes add mashed cauliflower or mashed carrot, swede, parsnip or turnip - or a mix of any of those.

I find parsnip goes especially well with pork mince.

Anyways, tonight is Gino's pasta shells with guanciale (not), potatoes and tomatoes.
    Substituting guanciale (pig's cheek that has been rubbed with salt, black pepper, sugar and thyme, then cured for three months) with smoked pancetta and adding a bit of spicy chorizo.
    Serving with garlic and parsley flatbread.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 24,303 Thanks
    caronc
    Venison sausage, brown lentil and root veg stew
    GC - Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Feb 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 49,323 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Sorry to hear DH is unwell IM - and the place is a state (sure it's not that bad but i know when it gets to you any little thing is irritating.

OH had toast with beetroot. I had a portion of wild boar and apple sausages in honey mustard sauce from the freezer with kale and green beans.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 14th Feb 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    That sounds very tasty.

On my last shepherds pie I mashed up white potato, sweet potato and celeriac. That was nice too.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 14th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    As we were out,we treated ourselves to the Wetherspoon’s Valentine meal for £20.00 - two mains, desserts and drinks.
    Tea and homemade cake for tonight.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Feb 18, 8:31 AM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Baked Bean Soup for lunch and supper tonight will be tomato risotto and a nice crispy salad, followed by rhubarb crumble made with crushed low fat digestive biscuits and plain skyr, cup of black coffee.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 15th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 2,554 Posts
    • 37,700 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I am thinking maybe Cottage pie, we are both not 100% so I think that would be simple enough for me to be bothered with, and not too rich.

I ended up with chicken breast and sweet potato fries, didnt get far though, one of those times where you are starving hungry till you start eating - hope we are better for the weekend
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 15th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,809 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Lunch today will be hm chicken noodle soup (chicken bits from the freezer) with lots of ginger and garlic. Tonight's dinner will be hm lasagne (bol sauce from freezer) with veg and garlic bread.

Having missed our usual weekly shop last Sunday as we were away for the weekend, am trying to eat from the freezer this week, so we might have some strange meal combinations in the next few days as I'm determined not to go to the shops till next Sunday.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Feb 18, 2:19 PM
    • 20,020 Posts
    • 53,745 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Gammon, new potatoes, fried eggs.
    Maybe peas.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 24,303 Thanks
    caronc
    Filling LO from savoury pancakes with pasta
    GC - Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120
    GC YTD 2018- £487/£710
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 11,660 Posts
    • 162,211 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Cuppasoup and a sandwich for He Who Knows and salad for me as I'm off to the city for the day for our lunches and supper this evening will be spinach and mushroom kievs from the freezer, sweet potato fries and peas also from the freezer followed by a yoghurt and a black coffee.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 2,554 Posts
    • 37,700 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Scrambled egg and grilled crispy bacon for brunch, then for later, it!!!8217;s a surprise, DH is in charge, now he has his appetite back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

124Posts Today

1,918Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin