Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,020Posts
    • 20,113Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 25
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 11th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,588 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    HM chicken and mushroom pie with baby potatoes, leeks and other veg
    1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - 1000.00.00/1000 Baby Step 1-COMPLETE
    Debt free day October 2019 - End of Baby Step 2 (A work in progress)
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 11th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Executing a roast for three omnis (one a coeliac), a veggie, and a vegan. Roast chicken, homemade roasties in basil olive oil, ordinary Yorkshires, glutenfree Yorkshires, honey roast parsnips, peas, carrots, broccoli, green beans, glutenfree meat gravy, vegan gravy, and whatever condiments people fancy. Vegan London cheesecakes (the ones with icing and shredded coconut), and chocolate concrete with chocolate custard. Bit more adventurous than my usual glutenfree pasta with tomato and basil sauce to satisfy everyone!
    Looking forward to a move to the country!
    • C J
    • By C J 11th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 6,288 Thanks
    C J
    Roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings for us tonight.

Ive had a busy Sunday morning cooking - Ive made a big pan of soup for lunches next week (a strange mix of carrot, onion, red lentil, chickpea, chilli and coconut as I had things to use up!); an apple pie; a jam and cream sponge sandwich cake; and a big tray of flapjacks to use up the odds and ends in the baking cupboard. These have chocolate chips, chopped glace cherries, chopped apricots, cranberries, coconut and pumpkin seeds in them which sounds odd but they taste fab!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Feb 18, 12:22 PM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 38,583 Thanks
    joedenise
    That's a lot of cooking. It's very difficult when you have to cook for varying diets. However I can't see any protein for either the veggie or the vegan - they probably won't mind as it's just one meal. Presumably they can have enough protein in other meals during the day.
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 11th Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    That's a lot of cooking. It's very difficult when you have to cook for varying diets. However I can't see any protein for either the veggie or the vegan - they probably won't mind as it's just one meal. Presumably they can have enough protein in other meals during the day.
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Yeah we'll just have a 'ghost roast' - I'm the veggie and wheat intolerant so there's egg in the glutenfree Yorkshires and chocolate concrete, and milk in the chocolate custard. I may add some grated cheese to my veg if I feel like it, and the vegan may add nooch (nutritional yeast flakes) as sprinkles for that umami bite. There's also some protein in all the veggies, especially the peas and broccoli, and the vegan gravy gets added Marmite. It's actually really hard to be protein-deficient here in the west - neither I nor the vegan are at risk of kwashiorkor
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 11th Feb 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings for us tonight.

Ive had a busy Sunday morning cooking - Ive made a big pan of soup for lunches next week (a strange mix of carrot, onion, red lentil, chickpea, chilli and coconut as I had things to use up!); an apple pie; a jam and cream sponge sandwich cake; and a big tray of flapjacks to use up the odds and ends in the baking cupboard. These have chocolate chips, chopped glace cherries, chopped apricots, cranberries, coconut and pumpkin seeds in them which sounds odd but they taste fab!
    Originally posted by C J
    Those flapjacks sound epic!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 7,102 Posts
    • 49,541 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Yeah we'll just have a 'ghost roast' - I'm the veggie and wheat intolerant so there's egg in the glutenfree Yorkshires and chocolate concrete, and milk in the chocolate custard. I may add some grated cheese to my veg if I feel like it, and the vegan may add nooch (nutritional yeast flakes) as sprinkles for that umami bite. There's also some protein in all the veggies, especially the peas and broccoli, and the vegan gravy gets added Marmite. It's actually really hard to be protein-deficient here in the west - neither I nor the vegan are at risk of kwashiorkor
    Originally posted by Tiglath
    My veggie friend has a ghost roast (love that phrase, never heard it before) at Xmas. Her parents usually cook for the family and she says there's so much other stuff to eat that she doesn't need nor want them cooking special in addition to turkey for her.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    • 20,182 Posts
    • 54,162 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Cottage pie with Savoy cabbage and mashed turnip mixed in with the potato topping.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 11th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 20,113 Thanks
    JIL
    My veggie friend has a ghost roast (love that phrase, never heard it before) at Xmas. Her parents usually cook for the family and she says there's so much other stuff to eat that she doesn't need nor want them cooking special in addition to turkey for her.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I don't eat meat and I would much rather have all the veg and accompanying bits than something different. At Christmas we went out for a work dinner, loads of lovely meals were being brought out. Mine arrived it was supposed to be a nut stack, but it looked like it had been thrown together and put into a muffin tin. Served with cold broccoli and new potatoes.
    I wanted the Yorkshire pudding, the sprouts, parsnip, carrots and stuffing and roast potatoes.
    I know its my choice but I did feel a bit short changed.

Today its beef and Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower, green beans and roast potatoes and parsnip. There's also some mushy peas left over from Friday.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 7,102 Posts
    • 49,541 Thanks
    kerri gt
    JIL lesson learned for next year, get the meat version (assuming you're ok with meant having been on your plate?) then you'll get the veg and accompaniments, and pass the meat onto someone else.

No idea what dinner tonight will be, OH has just had quorn sausages in a roll so prob won't be hungry. I ended up with a Cook! meal last night, chicken pad Thai...very nice it was too.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 11th Feb 18, 7:47 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Shepherds pie with a sweet potatoes and celeriac top.
    Also made a fresh loaf of bread and a sherry fruit cake. The house smells lovely.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 +
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 2280/6,000
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Feb 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 38,413 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    He all,

Back from our little trip and had a cheese omelette for dinner, really hit the spot

Made some sweet potato, coconut and lime soup for lunches
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 11,811 Posts
    • 164,019 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Soup and the usual chicken/toast for us today, type of soup will depend on excavations from the veg drawer in the fridge! Cold pork loin with jacket potatoes and a salad for supper tonight followed by fresh fruit and plain skyr and a cup of black coffee.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Feb 18, 8:38 AM
    • 7,102 Posts
    • 49,541 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Soup for lunch as its **** freezing today. Not sure what dinner will be - will see what / if OH wants something else I'll excavate what is looking to be a rather full freezer (keep trying to use stuff up, then end up buying a few more 'bits' and just using those because they are easy to get to)
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm making refried beans (well, without oil) today and having that in tortilla wraps with lettuce, chopped red onion, jalapeno peppers and salsa. Maybe some spicy potato wedges too.

Vegan London cheesecakes (the ones with icing and shredded coconut)
    Originally posted by Tiglath
    Hmm, I haven't heard of them before.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 38,583 Thanks
    joedenise
    I'd only heard of them as London cheesecakes quite recently - when I was growing up they were just cheesecakes! Think they've probably been renamed when the current type of cheesecakes (made with soft cream type) became popular.

No cooking for dinner tonight - we're having the LO sausage & bean cassoulet. There was also enough for another portion for the freezer! The recipe was supposed to be for 4 portions and I've made 6 and I didn't even use as many beans as the recipe called for! I used two tins of beans and the recipe called for 3 tins! Would probably have made 8 or 9 portions if I'd added that many.

Denise
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 12th Feb 18, 11:21 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Already prepped veg soup (had roast veg last night so have peelings and ends plus hanging about cabbage etc) for lunch today, extra will go into freezer again, have about 10 portions frozen now for when have no fresh veg. Having the other half of the Sicilion Chicken meal I bought from Gusto last week, had cooked all the chicken and froze half, the rest was in fridge or still in packets, I really enjoyed it last week, then tomorrow will have the 2nd portion of the Fish Cakes from the box. Will start on the other 2 meals this week, eat half and any cooked produce will be frozen, just have 2 items of fresh veg from last weeks other than pots and onions, the rest is pkts of spices etc.
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 12th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    donnajt
    Quick and easy Mayflower Chicken Curry and rice x
    Slinkies 3st by summer (loss to date 10.5lbs)
    FlyMarketeers 1k by summer (sealed tin)
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 38,413 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Pork steaks with lemon, garlic and herbs today, new potatoes and Rocket salad, no spuds for me
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 12th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    Salmon fillets, Hollandaise sauce, new potatoes and broccoli
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 45 (only 45 to go )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 37 (only 43 to go )
    Grocery Challenge October 750
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,954Posts Today

8,472Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin