Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,036Posts
    • 20,173Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 2
    • gt568
    • By gt568 10th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 2,763 Thanks
    gt568
    6 hard boiled eggs.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Jan 18, 8:18 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 38,616 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    6 hard boiled eggs.
    Originally posted by gt568
    Now that’s hard core low carb..... I love a hard boiled egg
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • gt568
    • By gt568 10th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 2,763 Thanks
    gt568
    I do too. The family hate the gas after though.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 49,620 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Tomorrow I think has been decided as pasta - using up the sauce i opened the other night.

Tomorrow's lunch is sliced turkey from xmas (err, it was frozen - I'm not into food poisoning as a Jan diet trend) with the end of the bag of salad I bought - I've just got some wraps out of the freezer too and will liberate them and have it all in a wrap. Can anyone tell I'm making an effort to use up freezer stock?

I also have several jars of honey and mustard chicken tonight from before OH turned veggie. We tried it ages ago with quorn pieces but it just wasn't nice. Any suggestions of what I could use with the sauce which is veggie friendly. OH will tolerate some veg if need be - but not mushrooms or courgettes.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Frith
    • By Frith 10th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 4,550 Posts
    • 43,033 Thanks
    Frith
    Haven!!!8217;t had my tea yet - still in the oven!

It will be Jack Monroe!!!8217;s vegan lasagne.
    Odd fact: the inventor of nominative determinism was called Trevor Nominative - Determinism. :-)
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Jan 18, 9:49 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 49,620 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Haven’t had my tea yet - still in the oven!

It will be Jack Monroe’s vegan lasagne.
    Originally posted by Frith
    Ohhh, share the recipe please?
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 20,173 Thanks
    JIL
    I had quorn and leek pie, mushrooms and cabbage.
    Others had steak, mushrooms, tomatoes, actifry chips and mushy peas.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    • 11,830 Posts
    • 164,201 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be home made carrot soup with chicken for me and cheese on toast for He Who Knows. Supper this evening will be cheese and tomato omelettes, new potatoes and winter salad with a 99 calorie yoghurt for pudding if we want one. Customary cup of black coffee to finish.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 38,616 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    MrsLWyour menus sound yummy... DH would love the apple, mincemeat and custard

We are having HM Chicken Parmigiana tonight with spaghetti for the men and cauliflower rice for me - uses up MORE cheese, only a bit of Stilton and some Halloumi left after that - Halloumi Fries Mmmmmm
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 11th Jan 18, 10:30 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 4,950 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Tonight will be burger in a bun with salad and sweet potato wedges. I've just put a chilli con carne in the SC, that will be tomorrow's dinner, with a jacket potato. Have added grated carrots and lentils to the mix to bulk it out a bit - hopefully there'll be loads left for the freezer.
    • MrsPear
    • By MrsPear 11th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    MrsPear
    Can I join - I love these kind of threads.

Lunch was left over from last night - bbcfood recipe- home style chicken curry. I had some toast with it as cnba to make rice.

Dinner is bacon and eggs. Request from my eldest. I had some left over mash so made potato cakes. Beans in fridge that need to be eaten - children can have them. I!!!8217;ll do some kind of salad for me and my husband.
    Gc challenge £363.53/ 500
    Y Feb 317.28 / 350
    • kraftykat
    • By kraftykat 11th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    kraftykat
    Beef & veg curry done in the slow cooker for us tonight.
    • kraftykat
    • By kraftykat 11th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,854 Thanks
    kraftykat

I also have several jars of honey and mustard chicken tonight from before OH turned veggie. We tried it ages ago with quorn pieces but it just wasn't nice. Any suggestions of what I could use with the sauce which is veggie friendly.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Could you use them with thinly sliced potatoes and make a potato bake or dauphinois type of thing?
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 11,123 Posts
    • 29,695 Thanks
    suki1964
    Just thrown together a hearty beef stew in red wine. Lots of veg ( more veg then meat tbh ) and I'm going to make herby dumplings

I've actually been cold all day today, which is so not like me, so I want comfort food
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Jan 18, 6:22 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 49,620 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Welcome MrsPear lovely to have you join us

Could you use them with thinly sliced potatoes and make a potato bake or dauphinois type of thing?
    Originally posted by kraftykat
    Ohh, good idea. I'm going to use one jar with the wild boar and apple sausages (the ones I thought were venison but aren't ) which I found in the freezer. However, I still have 3 jars left to use (yes bulk bought thinking they were a bargain ) so the could deff be another option.

Just thrown together a hearty beef stew in red wine. Lots of veg ( more veg then meat tbh ) and I'm going to make herby dumplings

I've actually been cold all day today, which is so not like me, so I want comfort food
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I've been cold all day too - ended up making a hot water bottle.

Pasta scoffed here, I grilled a slice of streaky bacon from a packet I have open with mine, OH finished some spicy cheese on his and I had some normal grated cheese on mine.

Not sure about tomorrow as yet. OH finishes work early so might come in and pick beforehand. However we are virtually out of bread, need more pasta (only have the little shapes left) and a few other bits so choices could become limited until I shop.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 20,191 Posts
    • 54,194 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Tonight is Turkish liver soup/casserole.
    Recreated from a visit many years ago in a small place that had no menu, just a load of ready cooked dishes that you pointed at to order.

Served with thickly sliced tiger bread and proper butter to dip in the tomato & chilli based sauce.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 24,835 Thanks
    caronc
    Halloumi, tomato and courgette bake with Greek pitta bread.
    GC - Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200, May £96/£120, Jun £206/£230
    GC YTD 2018- £605/£940
    • JIL
    • By JIL 11th Jan 18, 10:49 PM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 20,173 Thanks
    JIL
    Made some houmous, but my stick blender is broken so used the liquidiser. It was like a cream by the time it was served, but was nice tasting. With turkey and feta meatballs, couscous, greek salad, halloumi, green salad leaves and pitta breads. Leftovers are packed ready for work lunch tomorrow.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 11,830 Posts
    • 164,201 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Homemade carrot soup for lunch with chicken for me and a sandwich/toast for He Who Knows and supper this evening will be something with mine as he fancies either a chilli or curry and will decide today.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 12th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 4,950 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Chilli con carne tonight, with brown rice for me and/or jacket spuds for the others.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,080Posts Today

7,682Users online

Martin's Twitter