Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,437Posts
    • 21,456Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner?
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner? 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 05-01-2019 at 7:41 PM.
Page 167
    • JIL
    • By JIL 13th Jan 19, 1:31 PM
    • 3,437 Posts
    • 21,456 Thanks
    JIL
    In laws coming for dinner today, who only eat a few veg, but must not be undercooked, daughter doing veganuary. Not an easy combination.
    So it will be gammon, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots,cauliflower cheese, green beans, cabbage, mushy peas, vegan mushroom pie, stuffing. Gravy.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 13th Jan 19, 3:18 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 12,768 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Jacket potatoes, sausages, carrots, green beans, and peas. Lashings of gravy We will be having roast lamb tomorrow when ds comes for tea.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 13th Jan 19, 3:44 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Happy One
    Doing the first proper roast since the Christmas turkey! So have a small joint of pork,roast potatoes and parsnips, little new potatoes, sprouts,carrots and kale with homemade apple sauce from some windfalls and lots of gravy. Just two of us to feed and never any waste in this house, the left over pork will be used up with egg,chips and homemade chutney tomorrow
    Last edited by Happy One; 13-01-2019 at 4:49 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 13th Jan 19, 7:34 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 2,166 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    Stir fry of quorn pieces, peppers, mushrooms, onions and green beans in a yellow bean and chilli sauce.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Jan 19, 8:26 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 52,522 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Chicken curry and rice tonight, the one I accidentally defrosted yesterday. Same tomorrow to use up the other half.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 14th Jan 19, 10:59 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    whmf00001
    The lamb steak I got out of freezer turned into enough for 2 meals so had one with cabbage(freezer)mash and roasted peppers(freezer). The rest I have marinaded overnight for Moroccan Lamb using cupboard spices and remaining dates. Cooked in SC and tonight will re-heat and have with couc cous. Never had before but quite looking forward to it.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 14th Jan 19, 11:00 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    klew356
    Boiled some rigatoni pasta last night, made a HM 2 cheese sauce and popped in a casserole dish mixed together, let cool then put a cheese topping on and popped into oven , served with garlic bread – so yummy. Leftovers for tonight and HM soup for lunch…vegetarian few days without intent!
    • vodkawitch11
    • By vodkawitch11 14th Jan 19, 11:28 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    vodkawitch11
    Salmon ( yellow stickers cost 1) with some small potatoes and peas.
    2019 - Miles walked in Jan so far - 29
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Jan 19, 12:37 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 178,823 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Supper tonight is going to be a 'pot pie' which is a stew cooked in a pan on the hob with a 'hat' of suet pastry that just fits the pan cooked on top of it at the end of the simmering time.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 14th Jan 19, 1:04 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 10,135 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    Dinner tonight will be HM 3 Cheese Lasagne with salad and garlic bread - leftovers will be used for tomorrows lunch
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 37 (only 43 to go )
    Grocery Challenge January 500
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 14th Jan 19, 1:17 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Happy One
    Love the sound of your pot pie Mrs Lurche, must try it out myself sometime. My Nan used to make a slab of suet pasty flavoured with either chopped onions or mixed herbs baked in the oven till nice and golden then served up with your meal of stew or casserole.

Our meal tonight is the remains of the roast pork joint with oven chips,fried eggs and homemade chutney,so nothing to prepare.

My Dad always said the same as Thumpers Mother, if you can’t say anything nice don’t say anything at all.
    • Crowdpleaser
    • By Crowdpleaser 14th Jan 19, 1:51 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 11,105 Thanks
    Crowdpleaser
    Hubs and skids are having chicken fajitas.

I'm having leftover roast lamb, roast spuds, mashed Swede and carrots.
    Save 500 for christmas 2016 161/500
    GC March 16 252.91/300
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 14th Jan 19, 5:35 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 2,062 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Basic cauliflower cheese with some roasted tomatoes and stir fried greens with garlic & chilli. Can’t be bothered doing the Ottolenghi version which would be nicer but as I said.... can’t be bothered.

Was at home for lunch so had a BLT. Made with some toasted sourdough a thick slice of smoked bacon and a slice beef tomato with the really green outer leaves of an iceberg lettuce .... topped with a smearing of homemade mayonnaise and twists of black pepper. Luckily only had 1 slice of bacon left as I might have had 2 sandwiches =8O
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 14th Jan 19, 8:06 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 52,522 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Chicken curry and rice tonight, the one I accidentally defrosted yesterday. Same tomorrow to use up the other half.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    ^^ this

It was ok but kinda glad that's that done now. Not sure what tomorrow is, I bought some spinach today as had a hankering for some and planning to actually make that lasagne but I might have some sauteed with some fried sliced potatoes and the other no bull burger tomorrow. Still trying to limit the food shopping and use things up atm.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JIL
    • By JIL 15th Jan 19, 12:43 AM
    • 3,437 Posts
    • 21,456 Thanks
    JIL
    Out with work, carvery. There was a root vegetable bake that I'm going to try to make at home, it was just layers of parsnip, squash, onions and sweet potato in a vegetable stock finished with potato slices and baked and browned. It was very tasty.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 15th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    whmf00001
    About to put beef bones in SC for the day, also bought some lamb bones now in freezer. Bought YS corned beef hash and a YS mac n cheese, one for tonight the other tomorrow so not in freezer but the YS chineese chicken and dip has gone in. Moroccan stew was quite nice, may make again as I have the spices and can be made with any meat. Off to peel onion/chop carrot/start broth.
    • Crowdpleaser
    • By Crowdpleaser 15th Jan 19, 2:27 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 11,105 Thanks
    Crowdpleaser
    Vegetable risotto for me and hubs. Freezer dive of something breaded for skids.
    Save 500 for christmas 2016 161/500
    GC March 16 252.91/300
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Jan 19, 2:48 PM
    • 12,958 Posts
    • 178,823 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Worked the morning in DD1s garden, HWK was digging the veg bed and got so hungry that we called at the garden centre on the way home and he had steak and ale pie, chips and peas and I had an omelette, chips and salad so supper will be something much lighter tonight probably some home made soup and toast.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 15th Jan 19, 6:00 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 52,522 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Not sure what tomorrow is, I bought some spinach today as had a hankering for some and planning to actually make that lasagne but I might have some sauteed with some fried sliced potatoes and the other no bull burger tomorrow. Still trying to limit the food shopping and use things up atm.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    ^^ this - sticking to the plan. Another (albeit slim) box out of the freezer.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Jan 19, 6:46 PM
    • 11,568 Posts
    • 31,257 Thanks
    suki1964
    Seeing as my kitchen is in bits around me, I just doing home cooked, hand battered cod and chips

Be glad when the work is all over tbh
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,820Posts Today

8,390Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin