Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,244Posts
    • 20,865Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 146
    • GooeyBlob
    • By GooeyBlob 10th Nov 18, 3:59 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    GooeyBlob
    Last night's reductions were bags of carrots and sliced leeks (33p total) so had yellow sticker stew with carrots, leeks, onions, potatoes, parsnip and half a beef stock cube. Cost of ingredients used was under 20p
    Saved many thousands of pounds over the past decade by brewing my own booze.
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 10th Nov 18, 5:18 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    K80 Black
    My new freezer has arrived, as has been filled up! I have so many things to choose from - but I'm likely going to have some sort of quorn thing, chips and corn on the cob. When it's just me, convenience all the way.

+1 for the No bull burgers - they're delish! I'm waiting for them to be reduced to 1 again and stocking up, definitely better than one of the 'mostly potato and a few peas' burgers some stores sell.
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 10th Nov 18, 6:07 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 3,267 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    DGD1 has left us and DGD2 has arrived back again for tonight - it's been proper 'musical beds' here this week .

Just put some baby pots to soak in cold water prior to cooking. Will be having Steamed Mixed Veg with Bassa Fillet for OH and Pork Steaks for DGD2 and me .

Made a pan of Root Veg & Tomato Soup earlier - just waiting for it to cool down before 'whizzy-ing' it up to put into containers for Freezer .
    Last edited by Olliebeak1951; 10-11-2018 at 6:09 PM.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 10th Nov 18, 6:10 PM
    • 4,778 Posts
    • 45,213 Thanks
    Frith
    Kedgeree tonight. The lady at Sainsbury’s a while back gave me 3 dinner’s worth of smoked fish for 60p so used 1 of those, omelette rather than boiled eggs, onion, rice and peas.

Very nice!
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 10th Nov 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    I was out most of the day Christmas shopping and came home shattered and couldn't be bothered, so just threw a pizza in and made some salad to have with it.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Accessible EF #152 1000/1000

Vets EF 2000/2000
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Nov 18, 8:10 AM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 41,463 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Shoulder of lamb with dauphinois potatoes, spiced red cabbage and broccoli, fruit crumble for pud

Edit: Hubby didn't fancy crumble, so made chocolate fondant instead, loads of lamb left, so that will be used for lamb and butternut squash curry though the week
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 11-11-2018 at 3:11 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Nov 18, 1:18 PM
    • 16,416 Posts
    • 140,349 Thanks
    JackieO
    No cooking for me today as I go to my youngest DDs for dinner on a Sunday but I am taking along an apple pie and some cookies I made yesterday which will no doubt vanish with my strapping grandsons
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan 307.43 15th November 19.80 first shop of the month
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Nov 18, 2:23 PM
    • 12,819 Posts
    • 177,134 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've just had steak with ale pie from the local butchers with mashed potato and steamed veg and gravy followed by plum crumble and ice cream and we are now going for a walk to shake it all so we can watch the rugby on the TV which is recording.....oh we're full!!! but it's lovely!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 11th Nov 18, 2:44 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 5,251 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    We'll be having roast chicken, roast potatoes, stuffing, carrots, peas and gravy tonight. I've just made a cauli cheese as well, some for tonight and rest to go in the freezer. A YS choc cheesecake for dessert.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 11th Nov 18, 4:53 PM
    • 4,778 Posts
    • 45,213 Thanks
    Frith
    Macaroni cheese for son2 tonight. Son1 and I will be having a bit of that with some previously made casserole from the freezer.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • Litha
    • By Litha 11th Nov 18, 5:06 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Litha
    This is my first post on this thread, be gentle. :-)
    Tonights offering is Home-made Chicken Bhuna/Dopiaza ( Hairy Bikers recipe) accompanied by HM fried rice and a first attempt at vegetable pakora ( recipe from the takeaway secret)
    followed by a lovely HM deep apple & cinnamon pie ( bero baking book)with cream
    Linda x
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Nov 18, 5:28 PM
    • 12,819 Posts
    • 177,134 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hi Litha lovely to have you at the family table, welcome xxx.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Liz3yy
    • By Liz3yy 11th Nov 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Liz3yy
    We're being lazy tonight so it's chicken gujons, chips, onion rings and bread rolls all from the freezer, with some token salad on the side
    They have the internet on computers now?! - Homer Simpson

It's always better to be late in this life, than early in the next
    • Liz3yy
    • By Liz3yy 11th Nov 18, 5:34 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Liz3yy
    We'll be having roast chicken, roast potatoes, stuffing, carrots, peas and gravy tonight. I've just made a cauli cheese as well, some for tonight and rest to go in the freezer. A YS choc cheesecake for dessert.
    Originally posted by hatful-of-hollow
    Sounds amazing, I want to do a full roast one weekend but DH isn't overly keen on chicken and insists we have beef instead, the cost though.....

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th Nov 18, 5:47 PM
    • 5,604 Posts
    • 41,467 Thanks
    joedenise
    Tonights offering is Home-made Chicken Bhuna/Dopiaza ( Hairy Bikers recipe) accompanied by HM fried rice and a first attempt at vegetable pakora ( recipe from the takeaway secret)
    Linda x
    Originally posted by Litha
    Welcome. The curry sounds good. Let us know how it is - not tried the HB's recipe, although do others of theirs. Particularly like their braised beef & onions!

Denise
    • Liz3yy
    • By Liz3yy 11th Nov 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1,270 Posts
    • 3,623 Thanks
    Liz3yy
    Linda x
    I love a bhuna, it's my fave curry - your menu tonight sounds amazing

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 41,463 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi Litha
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 11th Nov 18, 10:07 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 3,267 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Linda x
    Welcome, Litha - your evening meal sounds absolutely !

As DGD2 (Caitlin age 11) was here for 'an overnighter', we both went to Church this morning for Remembrance Day Church Parade. Followed that with lunch in Costa - Breakfast Wrap for Caitlin and Gluten Free Spicy Parsnip for me - and then a 'whoopsie sprint' around Mr T's .

Evening meal was Chicken Thigh Fillets - roasted with a coating of Paprika/Cayenne Pepper/Chilli Powder/Garlic Powder - and served with Spicy Sweet Potato Fries, Onion Rings and Salad ......................... went down a treat all round . DGD2 even added extra Sweet Chilli Sauce to hers !
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 12th Nov 18, 8:57 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 8,206 Thanks
    Cappella
    Today we're having the same as yesterday 😊
    Homemade turkey, ham and mushroom pie with a wartime recipe potato pastry, mashed carrot and swede, cabbage, and mashed potatoes and gravy.
    An apple, banana or pear to fill any gaps.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Nov 18, 9:13 AM
    • 12,819 Posts
    • 177,134 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be garlic mushrooms on toast and supper this evening will be the rest of the steak pie (not as good as it looked) and yesterdays veg as bubble and squeak. Plum crumble and fat free Greek yoghurt if wanted and the obligatory black coffee of course!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,185Posts Today

8,045Users online

Martin's Twitter