Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,237Posts
    • 20,847Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 145
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 8th Nov 18, 6:38 PM
    • 7,560 Posts
    • 51,925 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Sweet corn and yellow pepper soup for lunch and lamb hotpot with petit pois for dinner. Wondering if it's too soon to crack into the stollen.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Frith
    • By Frith 8th Nov 18, 7:04 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 45,170 Thanks
    Frith
    Sausage hotpot with sliced potato top. Treacle sponge and custard.
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • uk_american
    • By uk_american 8th Nov 18, 7:07 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,138 Thanks
    uk_american
    Trying out the 'No bull' vegan burgers from Iceland with homegrown lettuce as the wrap rather than a bread roll. Having McCain sweet potato wedges on the side rather than traditional chips, along with YS steamed broccoli. Rounded out with a salad of lettuce, cherry tomatoes and onion.

My OH is a meat eater but he thought this was one of the best veg burgers that he's ever had and I've cooked him quite a few lol.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 8th Nov 18, 7:38 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 41,415 Thanks
    joedenise
    Will have to try the No bull vegan burgers as DH is not a fan of veggie burgers at all, although I quite often like to eat them (usually home made rather than bought).

Denise
    • uk_american
    • By uk_american 8th Nov 18, 9:48 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,138 Thanks
    uk_american
    Will have to try the No bull vegan burgers as DH is not a fan of veggie burgers at all, although I quite often like to eat them (usually home made rather than bought).

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    They're interesting, like people say they almost seem to 'bleed' due to the beetroot. Noticeably they don't have that 'soya' taste even though that is their main component.

I baked them as I had the oven on for the chips but they probably would have been better fried.

OH said that if they would have been on the BBQ smothered in cheese and BBQ sauce along with the lettuce, tomato and onion they would have compared to a 'proper' burger.

Regular price is 2 per 2 pack of quarter pounders so probably homemade ones are much better on the price front but I found these ok from a convenience/health standpoint.

Highly recommend giving them a try, Iceland does occasionally put them on special offer.
    • mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 9th Nov 18, 12:20 AM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 4,463 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    Ham salad sandwiches for lunch and tonight we had chilli tacos, some vegan and some with mince. But clean plates all round.
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Accessible EF #152 1000/1000

Vets EF 2000/2000
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 9th Nov 18, 1:01 AM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 19,552 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE

Denise
    As a lifelong vegetarian I've never actually eaten meat but for some reason when visiting friends they kindly serve me what I call convenience vegetarian food. I've had some horrible vege burgers over the years but only last week someone served these up for me and they were very nice. Can't say if they tasted like a meat based burger should taste but they had a nice savoury taste and a good texture. I'll definitely going to get some of these for myself.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 9th Nov 18, 8:40 AM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,022 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'll be making some lentil, red pepper and tomato soup for our lunch today and this evening will involve pie! I'm not sure yet what kind of pie but it must be PIE with mash and greens and gravy. Having a craving!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Nov 18, 8:52 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,883 Thanks
    MandM90
    Out tonight so beans on toast for my poor neglected family (on HM bread though!)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 9th Nov 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,883 Thanks
    MandM90
    They're interesting, like people say they almost seem to 'bleed' due to the beetroot. Noticeably they don't have that 'soya' taste even though that is their main component.

I baked them as I had the oven on for the chips but they probably would have been better fried.

OH said that if they would have been on the BBQ smothered in cheese and BBQ sauce along with the lettuce, tomato and onion they would have compared to a 'proper' burger.

Regular price is 2 per 2 pack of quarter pounders so probably homemade ones are much better on the price front but I found these ok from a convenience/health standpoint.

Highly recommend giving them a try, Iceland does occasionally put them on special offer.
    Originally posted by uk_american
    +1 for No Bull burgers - I think they're LUSH.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • allie23
    • By allie23 9th Nov 18, 2:05 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 13,837 Thanks
    allie23
    First meal from our new slow cooker tonight - Beef with port and stilton (recipe on the OS Grocery Challenge thread) with creamy potatoes.
    Save 12k in 2018 - Challenger 33 - 23,700/25,000
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Nov 18, 2:36 PM
    • 2,916 Posts
    • 41,458 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We've been invited to DD's and her BF for a meal, the first official invite to their new home - looking forward to it
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 9th Nov 18, 3:18 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 3,215 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    OH is having some HM Yellow Split Pea & Ham Soup with Crusty Bread - he'll probably want some sandwiches a bit later. And ............... don't laugh - I'm having a Honey Roast Ham Salad .

I've not been over the doorstep all day, so it's not that I'm coming home out of the chill of the weather.
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Nov 18, 3:39 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 41,415 Thanks
    joedenise
    Have taken some small bits of smoked haddock, salmon & white fish of some sort from the freezer and going to make a fish pie. Will have it with green veg of some sort. Fruit & yoghurt for pudding.

Denise
    • Frith
    • By Frith 9th Nov 18, 5:06 PM
    • 4,774 Posts
    • 45,170 Thanks
    Frith
    Beef casserole with dumplings tonight
    Verschlimmbesserung
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Nov 18, 7:26 PM
    • 7,560 Posts
    • 51,925 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Trying out the 'No bull' vegan burgers from Iceland with homegrown lettuce as the wrap rather than a bread roll. Having McCain sweet potato wedges on the side rather than traditional chips, along with YS steamed broccoli. Rounded out with a salad of lettuce, cherry tomatoes and onion.

My OH is a meat eater but he thought this was one of the best veg burgers that he's ever had and I've cooked him quite a few lol.
    Originally posted by uk_american

Denise
    We had them in the summer (OH is veggie) - did them on the BBQ and they were nice. Like mentioned, I wouldn't mix them up with a meat burger but still tasty. We have another pack in the freezer that I bought recently.

Beef casserole with dumplings tonight
    Originally posted by Frith
    Snap (well I did, OH had veggie chilli), i had mine with LO carrot and swede mash.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Cappella
    • By Cappella 9th Nov 18, 9:35 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    Cappella
    We had smoked haddock with carrots, cauliflour, mashed potatoes and cheese sauce. Pudding was a single shortbread biscuit and a pear each.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Nov 18, 9:06 AM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,022 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I made Lentil, tomato and red pepper soup yesterday for our lunches for a couple of days, mine with cold chicken HWK's with a scotch egg. Supper tonight will be a steak and ale pie I got from our good butcher in the village, was very expensive but very heavy and will make us main meals for two days. We'll have it with mash and peas today and with roast potatoes and sprouts and carrots tomorrow . Pudding will be plum crumble if it's wanted and our usual coffee.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 10th Nov 18, 9:13 AM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 41,415 Thanks
    joedenise
    Was given a couple of small duck breasts by my friend yesterday so we'll be having that with roast potatoes, roasted carrots, onions & peppers. Will also have Brussels & peas.

Denise
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 10th Nov 18, 2:03 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 5,251 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    For dinner tonight we'll be having hm carrot and coriander soup with hm garlic and rosemary focaccia. Dessert will be hm pineapple upside down pudding with custard.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,535Posts Today

5,780Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin