Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,208Posts
    • 20,721Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 136
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Oct 18, 9:33 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 41,296 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Interesting, I use 4 eggs and water for my yorkies and they are (generally) massive.

I was treated to a meal out tonight, Fish soup to start, with slow roasted Pork Belly and Scallops, with cauliflower pur!e and cavello Nero as a main - DH had the soup and a HUGE fresh whole crab and fries - bloomin lush
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Oct 18, 9:41 PM
    • 7,494 Posts
    • 51,483 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Interesting, I use 4 eggs and water for my yorkies and they are (generally) massive.
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    i'm sure we had this discussion before I will have to put a post it note in my book that the recipie in there is naff. Shame as it's one of my most used and fav cook books (Jan Arkless - how to boil an egg) My mum bought it for me when I wen to uni (errr...a few years plus ) ago and I love that its a really simple base for many dishes. Sadly Jan's yorkshires just don't cut it.

Update:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5543357&page=2

I should really remember this....
    Last edited by kerri gt; 11-10-2018 at 9:51 PM.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Oct 18, 9:55 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 41,296 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    i'm sure we had this discussion before I will have to put a post it note in my book that the recipie in there is naff. Shame as it's one of my most used and fav cook books (Jan Arkless - how to boil an egg) My mum bought it for me when I wen to uni (errr...a few years plus ) ago and I love that its a really simple base for many dishes. Sadly Jan's yorkshires just don't cut it.

Update:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5543357&page=2

I should really remember this....
    Originally posted by kerri gt

• Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 12th Oct 18, 11:26 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Time for PROPER AUTUMN food here, so it's Savoury Mince for us this evening - with mashed pots and steamed savoy cabbage !
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Oct 18, 12:46 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 41,296 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Porchini risotto with feather steak tonight
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Oct 18, 5:14 PM
    • 7,494 Posts
    • 51,483 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Think tonight is posh pizza (+3 from L!dl ) still cheaper than a D0minoes - although can honestly say it's years since I had once of those for an office lunch, and I couldn't tell you the last time I actually bought one.

That means tomorrow I think will be vegetable lasagne (because I really want to use it from the freezer) although that could be Sunday - depends on OH.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Liz3yy
    • By Liz3yy 12th Oct 18, 6:57 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    Liz3yy
    Hubby wasn't in the mood for a big dinner tonight so I made us a burger each, beef mince and bread buns from the freezer with some salad and asda burger sauce - lovely. He's now sitting there nursing a cold whilst I enjoy a bottle of white
    They have the internet on computers now?! - Homer Simpson

It's always better to be late in this life, than early in the next
    • Liz3yy
    • By Liz3yy 12th Oct 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    Liz3yy
    Think tonight is posh pizza (+3 from L!dl ) still cheaper than a D0minoes - although can honestly say it's years since I had once of those for an office lunch, and I couldn't tell you the last time I actually bought one.

That means tomorrow I think will be vegetable lasagne (because I really want to use it from the freezer) although that could be Sunday - depends on OH.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Lidl is fantastic for pizzas I think, much better quality than the big 4 IMO
    They have the internet on computers now?! - Homer Simpson

It's always better to be late in this life, than early in the next
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Oct 18, 7:46 PM
    • 7,494 Posts
    • 51,483 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Just had sausages, Yorkshire puds, green veg, fried onions (with a splash of balsamic) and gravy. Bangers, puds and veg all from freezer.

T'was yummy!

OH had a chip butty with fresh crusty bread earlier while I had a nap so there was no chance of me making him eat any veg
    JAN NSD 11/16

• C J
    • By C J 13th Oct 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    C J
    I made seafood pancakes for us tonight, using basa fillets and prawns from Aldi, diced onion, mushroom and red pepper, a handful of peas and a bit of spinach which needed using up; all in a nice creamy sauce, rolled up in a home made pancake and oven baked. Lovely!
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • JIL
    • By JIL 13th Oct 18, 11:41 PM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 20,721 Thanks
    JIL
    Im just back from a holiday in sunny Spain. So was hoping my cooking mojo had returned it hadn't so we had a curry ready meal, husband had fish curry and I had a quorn curry. Not a patch on the food whilst we were away. I will try to make something better tomorrow, however as I'm due back at work on Monday I'm not sure I will be in the mood.
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Oct 18, 8:51 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Chicken Drumsticks with Baby Pots and Salad for us this evening - didn't realise how many drummers we had in the freezer ! Might 'spice' the drumsticks up a bit with some paprika/garlic powder/cayenne pepper .
    • JIL
    • By JIL 15th Oct 18, 1:40 AM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 20,721 Thanks
    JIL
    Made a load of vegetable soup for work lunches, this also had some leftover veg from dinner added to it.
    For dinner I made roast pork, roast chicken, stuffing, yorkshire puddings,spring greens, carrots,peas, red cabbage, roast potatoes and roast parsnips.

I made a slow cooker rice pudding for afterwards.
    • alfsmum
    • By alfsmum 15th Oct 18, 1:33 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    alfsmum
    Liberated some hm spicy carrot and lentil soup from the freezer for lunch and very nice it was too on this wet and dull day.

Dinner will be jackets with assorted accompaniments depending on what needs using up.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 15th Oct 18, 11:46 PM
    • 3,208 Posts
    • 20,721 Thanks
    JIL
    meat eaters had teriyaki beef stir-fry. I had salmon with the stir-fry veg, baby corn, onions, tenderstem broccoli, Pak choi, mange tout, noodles and some stir-fry sauce. It was quick and easy. But two hours later we were all hungry again!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Oct 18, 3:10 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 41,296 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We've been away for the weekend, so a bit of a use up tonight, oven baked chicken breast, mashed swede and steamed broccoli
    • C J
    • By C J 16th Oct 18, 6:03 AM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    C J
    A traybake for us tonight - salmon fillets roasted with new potatoes, asparagus and vine tomatoes.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • klew356
    • By klew356 16th Oct 18, 12:42 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    klew356
    first frost yesterday so made a sausage casserole and forgot to do the potatoes so hoyed a few oven chips in while i had a shower, was lovely tbh. same again tonight. got a fancy for a lasagne, maybe a veg lasagne sometime soon
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 16th Oct 18, 12:55 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 2,040 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Not sure about tonight - I'm about to go to Asda for my 'monthly shop' (hopefully not an expensive one this month) and I've just printed off a recipe for Gluten Free Lasange that I want to have a go at.

Not certain if that will be for this evening or later in the week. I'm more of a Lasagne Fan than OH is, but that's OK ................. all the more for ME !

Finally settled on Griddled Gammon Steak, Fried Egg, Hash Browns, Mushrooms and Tinned Plum Tomatoes
    - absolutely gorgeous
    Last edited by Olliebeak1951; 16-10-2018 at 7:58 PM.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Oct 18, 5:35 PM
    • 7,494 Posts
    • 51,483 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I was going to a friends to be fed tonight but she's unwell, so I got some casserole out the freezer but don't really fancy that, so it's pasta with cheese...not a veg in sight, because that's what I fancy
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,399Posts Today

8,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin