Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,234Posts
    • 20,826Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 127
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 15th Sep 18, 11:07 PM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 51,913 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Going with the beef casserole, means I can use a small portion of diced beef, a small piece of cooked beef in gravy (very end of a bit I roasted I think), plus a small portion of cranberry sauce, some onion gravy (think they might have been in there since Xmas!), and I can use up the last of a bag of casserole veg that's in the freezer too. Might make some dumplings too.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Sep 18, 2:13 PM
    • 12,797 Posts
    • 176,935 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've just had mashed avocado on toast topped with a couple of poached eggs each for lunch and for supper this evening I'm making minced steak stroganoff which we'll have with new potatoes, steamed peas and carrots and then the of the stewed plums with some plain yoghurt.

Hold that thought as I've no garlic or paprika, I know I shed a lot of almost used spice jars before we moved but thought I'd aught up again...'parently not! so tonight it appears we're having savoury mince! so sad!!!
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 16-09-2018 at 5:58 PM.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 16th Sep 18, 2:20 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 41,437 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Made stew a few weeks ago, and popped a load in the freezer, so we'll have that today with celeriac mash.

We are going away Wednesday, so some use up meals for the next couple of nights
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 16th Sep 18, 2:47 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 55,188 Thanks
    Jazee
    Breakfast was a crumpet, lunch was a fry up. DH says he's making beef Wellington for tonight but I've just got back from a dog walk and he's fast asleep on the settee.
    Savings 2018: £825.53
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Sep 18, 5:47 PM
    • 11,401 Posts
    • 30,563 Thanks
    suki1964
    Leg of lamb , roast potatoes, roast onions, roast carrots and parsnips and cabbage and green beans

I’m looking for it
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 16th Sep 18, 7:00 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Think I’m starting to get my cooking mojo back after the summer.

Had cavlo nero bruschetta with a side of grilled chicken breast with a Zhoug sauce (Coriander, chilli, cumin, garlic, lemon, olive oil etc). Finished with some homemade yoghurt and apple compote.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th Sep 18, 7:17 PM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 51,913 Thanks
    kerri gt
    After my day of batch cooking, I pulled a portion of noodles from a not so nice stir fry out the freezer and had that with some broccoli mixed in and a bit of chicken from the one I roast earlier today.

I still have gumbo to make but need some more onions as half the ones in the fridge were soft, and stock, which I'll make tomorrow as OH hates the smell.

Oh, and turned out the bit of what I thought was roast beef was actually a tiny portion of casserole...so it went back in today's casserole too (which smells divine)
    JAN NSD 11/16

• dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 16th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    I knocked up a quick tomato sauce to have with some spaghetti, and it hit the spot really well. Bit of flapjack for afters, and now I'm going to treat myself to a glass of gooseberry gin.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 16th Sep 18, 9:25 PM
    • 11,401 Posts
    • 30,563 Thanks
    suki1964
    Think Iím starting to get my cooking mojo back after the summer.

Had cavlo nero bruschetta with a side of grilled chicken breast with a Zhoug sauce (Coriander, chilli, cumin, garlic, lemon, olive oil etc). Finished with some homemade yoghurt and apple compote.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton

Mr S

Do you need or like a lodger? One where all meals are provided?

if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th Sep 18, 9:41 PM
    • 64,922 Posts
    • 381,099 Thanks
    PasturesNew

Show off

I nuked the leftovers from last night's indian takeaway
    • klew356
    • By klew356 17th Sep 18, 9:12 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    klew356
    Morning, I am doing sausage casserole again tonight but it was gravy based last week and this week it is from a packet ! shriek! I will also be having slow cooked gammon later on in the week as it was on offer - cheeky bit of sirloin in the fridge too
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 17th Sep 18, 12:46 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 7,865 Thanks
    MandM90
    Lunch was half a baked sweet potato, mediterranean veg I roasted with harissa, and some hummus, followed by a banana, an apple and a couple of satsumas.

I have a stinking cold, so dinner will be homemade veg soup. DD won't like it (it has lots of homegrown beetroot) so will do her a pizza
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 17th Sep 18, 1:38 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 41,437 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Fridge clearing before holiday, chicken saag tonight to clear onion, spinach, Corriander
    • C J
    • By C J 17th Sep 18, 2:04 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,839 Thanks
    C J

I do like the sound of that.

I had some pork mince, beef mince, and pork sausages all needing to be used up so I have smushed them all together with some herbs, spices, tomato paste, anchovy essence, beaten egg and wholemeal breadcrumbs to make the most enormous meatloaf which will feed an army for a month.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 17th Sep 18, 3:22 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 3,144 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Lunch was 'Garlicky 'shrooms' on Toast for me - OH was going out.

After last night's 'Pig-Sty Pie', decided that we need to be healthy tonight - so it's going to be Roast Pork Salad for me and Roast Turkey Salad for OH .................... I'm sure he'll want some Hash Browns with his !

Popped into Mr T's earlier to get some ingredients for 'Nana's Magic Soup' (from the Tesco's Advert). The last batch was delicious, so made 'double quantity' this time ! Once blended, this will be getting portioned-up for the freezer !
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 17th Sep 18, 4:19 PM
    • 12,797 Posts
    • 176,935 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Reheated jacket potatoes with grated cheese, reheated cooked veg, cold chicken for me and cold sausages for HW for our lunch today as we'd been out all morning and came back ravenous. We're only going to need something light for supper so I'll decide what when we get there.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 17th Sep 18, 5:54 PM
    • 11,401 Posts
    • 30,563 Thanks
    suki1964
    Not wanting to blow my own trumpet, but last nights dinner was so delish, Im doing the same tonight
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 17th Sep 18, 8:05 PM
    • 7,556 Posts
    • 51,913 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Shared a portion of the veggie lasagne I made yesterday and garlic bread with OH. Have a feeling that i'll be eating the other two portions myself as the vegetable lasagne had too many vegetables apparently.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• klew356
    • By klew356 18th Sep 18, 8:04 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    klew356
    That sausage casserole exceeded all expectations, it was lovely, loads left too. It was just what I needed to as I started to go downhill last night headache, tonsils brewing – feel a lot better now – samosas for lunch and sausage casserole again for dinner.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 18th Sep 18, 3:21 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 41,437 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Cheese and ham omelette with rocket salad for me and HM chips for DH - fridge cleaned down - no cooking for a week..

Hola Cadiz...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,407Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter