Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,157Posts
    • 20,565Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 126
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Sep 18, 6:38 PM
    • 11,277 Posts
    • 30,127 Thanks
    suki1964
    Hairy Bikers sausage casserole

Nom Nom
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Sep 18, 8:57 PM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 50,781 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Roasted veg pizza tonight between me and OH - twas very nice too.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Arianna77
    • By Arianna77 14th Sep 18, 7:35 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Arianna77
    We will have pasta, avocado salad and beef for dinner!:P
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 14th Sep 18, 7:54 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Planning on using up some Gluten Free Sausages for this evening. I'll cook them up and cut into diagonal sliced 'chunks' - adding some spices (paprika/cayenne/chilli) mixed peppers, chopped red onion, garlic and mushrooms plus tinned chopped toms. Serve with pasta and garlic bread (GF for me). Got everything already in the fridge/freezer - so no need to spend any money .
    • klew356
    • By klew356 14th Sep 18, 8:37 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 1,786 Thanks
    klew356
    Got some pork out, stir fry chunks not sure yet but will involve mushrooms and other veg lurking, possible rice
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 14th Sep 18, 9:43 AM
    • 12,580 Posts
    • 174,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Beans on toast with poached egg on top for lunch today and supper out with DD1 who is making stew and then we're all off to the rugby!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 14th Sep 18, 10:52 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Have taken 2nd half of Asda curry for 2 out of freezer, not the naan breads though, there will be enough with the rice, korma, masala & 2 bahji.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Sep 18, 1:39 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 41,111 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    DH is craving chinese, it's his turn to 'cook', so guessing it will be takeaway
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 15th Sep 18, 8:24 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    creative gal
    probably gammon, oven chips (if we have any left, if not, baby potatoes), and peas or baked beans. Leaning towards baked beans I think.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 15th Sep 18, 9:59 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 41,111 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Tonight is steak and salad, with a jacket potato for DH

Edit: found a celeriac in the fridge, so made celeriac mash to go with steak, and also used up a large Courgette, red pepper and onion roasted with garlic, olive oil and balsamic as a side.

Enough celeriac to have with frozen HM beef stew tomorrow
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 15-09-2018 at 7:08 PM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 10:45 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Cheese and Salad GF Wrap for lunch today - OH will have some soup .

Evening meal will be 'GF Ham & Cheese Crispbake' with Salad for me and Baby Pots with Steamed Fish and Green Beans for OH .
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 15th Sep 18, 11:08 AM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 50,781 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I had the last of a portion of suspect casserole with some bread and butter last night (I over cooked it in the oven then had to add more liquid so it was a bit tasteless and watery) Need to do some batch cooking if things, have lots of ingredients but no actual easy meals ready.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 11:42 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Later, I'll be cooking up some minced beef, onions and frozen mixed veg with stock cubes and herbs for tomorrow. Will top off with mashed potatoes and heat up in the afternoon for Cottage Pie served with Broccoli !
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 15th Sep 18, 5:50 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    As it's jam making season, tonight is slow-cooked venison curry, using venison from the freezer, new potatoes from the garden (still fine after 2 weeks in a paper bag in the cupboard) and thai curry paste. Not tried the recipe before, but it does smell nice.

Apple & blackberry crumble for afters, by special request from my OH - all fruit home-grown or foraged. So very much a budget meal!
    • C J
    • By C J 15th Sep 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 6,636 Thanks
    C J
    Salmon, shallot and potato gratin for us tonight.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 15th Sep 18, 6:48 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    I made a very garlicky mushroom risotto and once the teenager had taken her portion I then threw in a load of frozen mixed veg so that mine was a little more interesting and stretched it further. There's enough left for a couple more meals for me, so that's good too.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 15th Sep 18, 8:06 PM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 50,781 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I've just had a chop / prep session of veg for some batch cooking tomorrow, chopped up some very sad looking spring onions, celery and a wrinkly pepper to be used for a gumbo type dish. Also peeled and roughly chopped a butternut squash (not sure what I'm doing with it yet so it hasn't been fully chopped) and then made a pot of white and sweet potato mash.

Prepped veg are in water in the fridge. Dinner was mash (per above) chunky haddock in breadcrumbs and beans.

Batch cooking tomorrow will be some kind of sweet potato and veg lasagne, Cujan gumbo (not sure if I'm putting chicken or prawns in it yet) and either a beef and ale casserole or sausage casserole. I really prefer the idea of sausage but I like it made from a packet mix in Asda (which I don't currently have) whereas the beef casserole would use up several things from the freezer and a few handfuls of pearl barley and stuff could also be chucked in to use up. Need to make up my mind and get either beef or sausages out to defrost.

I also have a chicken to roast too. And then I can use the carcass, plus some frozen bones and veg for stock (had a disaster last time I made stock so hopefully this one will be better).
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 15th Sep 18, 8:19 PM
    • 12,580 Posts
    • 174,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch out with DD1 today, she had a burger and chips with a salad and I had fish and chips with peas, very tasty it was too. He Who Knows had the last bit of game pie from the fridge with the last portion of leek and potato soup and a salad. Supper tonight has been just sandwiches, his was cold sausage and chutney and mine was cold chicken with a spreading of light mayonnaise, really hit the spot!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Olliebeak1951
    • By Olliebeak1951 15th Sep 18, 8:52 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    Olliebeak1951
    Took some mince out of the freezer earlier to cook for tomorrow - turned out to be Pork Mince, not Beef Mince as I thought ! Never mind, I'll just add some 'extra sage' with the 'dried mixed herbs' while it's simmering.

'Pig-Sty Pie' instead of 'Cottage Pie' then !
    • pickledonionspaceraider
    • By pickledonionspaceraider 15th Sep 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 3,263 Thanks
    pickledonionspaceraider
    Beans on toast. My appetite hasn't been that big since my operation
    You only live once...so make sure you spend 15 hours on the internet every day desperately seeking validation from strangers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,018Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin