Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,315Posts
    • 21,065Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 112
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Aug 18, 8:47 AM
    • 12,868 Posts
    • 177,769 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    He Who Knows as gone fishing with a packed lunch and I will have poached egg on avocado on toast! lucky ME!!!

I'm defrosting a lamb shank (singular) for supper to make us Icelandic meat soup for supper, it's a staple out there and is more like a stew than a soup and the cooler weather means it is just right for today. Some gooseberries from the freezer will be cooked too and I have some double cream to finish from an earlier recipe and I shall make gooseberry fool for pudding and then of course coffee.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 7,618 Posts
    • 52,285 Thanks
    kerri gt
    OH has requested fish again so I will need to rustle it up with something.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    He then decided he really wanted scampi so I ended up going up to the Coop to buy some at a new extortionate convenience store price. However I did get two chicken breasts YS to65p, and two packs of smokey beef kebabs (6 in a pack) for 1 a pack. The kebabs will be split to portions of 2 a meal and I'll portion the chicken breasts up to freeze too so I guess they balanced out the scampi fleecing.

Had it with chips, and peas for me, curry sauce for OH.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 10th Aug 18, 9:41 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    Tonight I have had:
    A bowl of granola
    A yoghurt
    A plate of bombay potatoes
    2 handfuls of dried dates
    A slither of cheese, followed by one more slither and then a giant hunk of the stuff
    A mini ice lolly
    A child's leftover pasta and pesto

I suspect I may be a tad hormonal...
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 41,571 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Tonight I have had:
    A bowl of granola
    A yoghurt
    A plate of bombay potatoes
    2 handfuls of dried dates
    A slither of cheese, followed by one more slither and then a giant hunk of the stuff
    A mini ice lolly
    A child's leftover pasta and pesto

I suspect I may be a tad hormonal...
    Originally posted by dangerbadger
    What the body craves, the body needs
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 10th Aug 18, 9:59 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    What the body craves, the body needs
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    It just demanded rice pudding and more cheese. I complied.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Aug 18, 8:00 AM
    • 4,784 Posts
    • 55,501 Thanks
    Jazee
    We're having spag bol tonight. It's been in the slow cooker since 4.30am so will just need reheating later. Inspired by Mrs LW, I'm making gooseberry fool for pud.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 11th Aug 18, 8:18 AM
    • 12,868 Posts
    • 177,769 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Pea and ham soup from the freezer for lunch and corned beef hash for supper, using things up from freezers and stores so I don't have to get rid of much before we move. Gooseberry fool (hope you enjoy yours Jazee) for pudding and a cup of coffee.
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th Aug 18, 10:56 AM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 41,571 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hubby is on duty tonight cooking one of his signature dishes chicken Kiev from scratch, with salad for me, a few new potatoes for him
    • wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    • By wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2 11th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    wouldbeqaulitymoneysaver2
    If I behave myself homemade Tirimisu..
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Aug 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 41,571 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We ended up taking MIL out for lunch today, as she was feeling a bit lonely x we went to a lovely pub, that does simple food really well, DH had Lamb and rosemary pie, MIL had a small portion of Cottage pie, both with seasonal local veg, I had a smoked haddock and broccoli bake, with a huge salad, it was all bloomin lovely . After, we went to Havenstreet steam railway, and had a little jaunt on a steam train, with vanilla ice creams as a treat - just a lively day

Supper will be lightly fried whitebait and shell on prawns with HM bread and butter for DH, salad for me - homemade aioli and tartar sauce too
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 5:02 PM
    • 12,868 Posts
    • 177,769 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Soup from the freezer for lunch pea and ham with a roll and supper will be the rest of yesterdays hash with some extra added potato and baked beans and lashings of ketchup, real rib sticker.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 12th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 1,933 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Was thinking about supper in my local book shop this afternoon. Fancied fish but realised I do not actually have many (3/4?) fish cookbooks. Picked up a copy of Barts Fish Tales*

The wet fish counter at the Waitrose a few doors up had a deal on swordfish steaks which I prefer over tuna so got some

Did the Grilled swordfish with lentils & salsa verde (pg.376) with a side salad. Did it on a griddle rather than grill which is a bit of a faff to clean. Enjoyed it.

*The book is o.k but was expecting it to be better. Any good fish cookbooks recommendations that do not include the words stein or rick greatly appreciated.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 41,571 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Mr S - dunno what to suggest, don't tend to use cookbooks for seafood.

We tend to eat what we or friends have caught and cook it simply, tonight's whitebate was dusted in cornflour and paprika, the prawns fried in garlic butter.

Our recent Bass was BBQ'd with ginger, lemon grass and spring onions.

Mackerel chargrilled, salted and a squirt of lemon.

When we visit Cadiz it's much the same, catch it, kill it eat it
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 12th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    Cereal and toast tonight, as I am on my own and couldn't be bothered to cook anything.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Aug 18, 11:25 PM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 21,065 Thanks
    JIL
    We were away for the weekend, lovely not to cook but the look on husband's face when his haddock and triple cooked chips were served on Friday. Served on a huge plate, with a small dish of mashed up peas on one side, with a small piece of battered haddock on the other. He was on the point of asking about his chips, when I pointed out they were under the fish. Five in total!!
    Back to cooking today, I made potato dauphinose, beef, yorkshire puddings, broccoli, carrots, peas and garden green beans. Husband was very appreciative.
    • C J
    • By C J 13th Aug 18, 6:27 AM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 6,874 Thanks
    C J
    Shepherds pie for us tonight, using some of the roast lamb left over from yesterday.

Mister CJ really liked the pudding I made recently, the sponge base topped with thick custard and covered with stewed apple and has requested more of the same for this weeks puds.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Aug 18, 7:58 AM
    • 4,784 Posts
    • 55,501 Thanks
    Jazee
    Tonight we're having beef stir fry.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    • Wicked Lady
    • By Wicked Lady 13th Aug 18, 8:04 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 1,874 Thanks
    Wicked Lady
    Tonight's dinner will be salmon (from the freezer, via Cost*o) in sweet chilli sauce with roasted veg and sweet potato.
    Yummy!
    • klew356
    • By klew356 13th Aug 18, 9:10 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    klew356
    Had a lovely week off but food wise im looking forward to normality once again, Saturday I went shopping and tonight I am cooking a chicken in a bag, it will be served for the next two dinners with Yorkshires, mash and peas and lashings of gravy, the leftovers will be made for sandwiches and a dish with veg and rice, delish. Lunch is sausage rolls and baked beans plain and simple.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 13th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 8,418 Thanks
    Cappella
    MrC is having sausages. I'm having liver and onion casserole. Both of us are having potatoes, carrots and cabbage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,290Users online

Martin's Twitter