Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,115Posts
    • 20,456Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner 2018.
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:20 AM
    What are you making for dinner 2018. 10th Jan 18 at 12:20 AM
    There were problems with the original thread in that it disappeared and could not be reinstated.

So a new thread was created and we all started again, unfortunately that thread also seems to have joined it's predecessor.

So here's a new one. We need to hear about Suki's lamb casserole and Island Maid is back from Amsterdam and must have delights to tell us about.

Maybe if the old one can be found then this can be merged?

Anyway without further ado...
    Last edited by JIL; 10-01-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Page 111
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 5th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 9,361 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    I have Italian style braised lamb steaks going in the slow cooker, one to eat and one for the freezer. Thereís a small baked potato leftover from a couple of days ago that Iíll have with the lamb along with some green beans.
    Keep Moving = 554.00mls/1000mls @ week 26

W/L Challenge (24/6 - 30/9) - 4/14
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 5th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    So hard to eat anything in this sort of weather.

Had some sourdough toast with bacon and mashed avocado washed down with a banana and red berry smoothie for an early breakfast.

Have just made a dip/spread with avocado and preserved lemon processed till smooth with homemade labaneh eaten with flatbreads and a Greek Salad.

Supper will probably be a roasted tomato salad with farro from Heidi Swanson!!!8217;s book Near + Far.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Aug 18, 5:17 PM
    • 7,251 Posts
    • 50,153 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I think dinner will be quiche and I'll have mine with jersey royals and some YS tenderstem broccoli and asparagus tips. First time I've had asparagus in a long time as I had two reactions to it previously. I'm hoping the fact this is a semi cooked micro pot and the asparagus isn't early season that it will be ok.....if you don't hear from me again you know why.....
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• gt568
    • By gt568 5th Aug 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    gt568
    So hard to eat anything in this sort of weather.

Had some sourdough toast with bacon and mashed avocado washed down with a banana and red berry smoothie for an early breakfast.

Have just made a dip/spread with avocado and preserved lemon processed till smooth with homemade labaneh eaten with flatbreads and a Greek Salad.

Supper will probably be a roasted tomato salad with farro from Heidi Swanson!!!8217;s book Near + Far.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton

That sounds some good scran.

I'm having bratwursts.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 5th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    A quick tea of 'chuck some stuff in a pan and hope it tastes good' meal for me. So an onion, a few mushrooms, a handful of spinach and a tomato all fried up with some piri piri seasoning and then half a can of baked beans stirred in. It was perfectly alright, if not a particularly wonderful culinary experience.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 7,251 Posts
    • 50,153 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I think dinner will be quiche and I'll have mine with jersey royals and some YS tenderstem broccoli and asparagus tips. First time I've had asparagus in a long time as I had two reactions to it previously. I'm hoping the fact this is a semi cooked micro pot and the asparagus isn't early season that it will be ok.....if you don't hear from me again you know why.....
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I only had a little bit of the asparagus....they were very slim stems....to date I'm still here

Must admit I am rather looking forward to the temps cooling a little later this week, whilst the beautiful weather we have had is glorious it doesn't lend well to being very active in the day. Just a few degrees will be fine. It has made me realise just how many clothes I have I don't need though, for the past 2 months I've basically lived in 4-5 pairs of shorts and about 6-8 vest tops.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 5th Aug 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 40,755 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We changed our minds with dinner too Kerri I ended up with cheese omelette and DH used up some chicken and salad. Glad you survived the asparagus
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 7,251 Posts
    • 50,153 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Glad you survived the asparagus
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Not a single glad as I am I bet
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th Aug 18, 7:46 AM
    • 12,483 Posts
    • 173,427 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch today will be cold meat and salad and as the courgettes have started to produce again supper will be Hugh FW's courgettes with pasta and cheese from his 3 good things book which is really tasty, blackberries and yoghurt, coffee!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Hopeless Case
    • By Hopeless Case 6th Aug 18, 8:16 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 3,487 Thanks
    Hopeless Case
    Stir fry tonight to use up the last o the chinese leaves and the noodle stash. A bit of pork in for OH, spring onions, mushrooms and sweet peppers too I think - and carrot and probably courgette!
    June GC £218.09/ £300; July GC £259.17/ £250 ; August £130.47/£240
    Aug NSD target 9/20. Aug Bring Your Lunch to Work Target 7/11 Aug £1 a day £57.94/£31
    Cashback YTD £4.34- claims in for £38.91 untracked cashback. Tesco CC £8000 0% 30mnths, First Direct CC £4500 0% 18mnths
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 6th Aug 18, 8:31 AM
    • 7,251 Posts
    • 50,153 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I have a couple of meals planned this week for when the weather cools, I today will be picky stuff as it's still going to be the approximate temp of Mordor here today.

Oh, and the fur ball is having Sheba mousse and prob chicken.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 6th Aug 18, 9:54 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 1,186 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Previously frozen slice of beef, left over dried mash with garlic and onions, some of the mash will be used to make tuna fishcakes for tomorrow. Any frozen veg. Previously frozen hm soup for lunch with last 2 slices of bread for lunch. More soup to get out for tomorrow lunch.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 6th Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    • 4,642 Posts
    • 54,247 Thanks
    Jazee
    Just had BLT for lunch. Tonight will be steak pie, new potatoes and peas.
    Savings 2018: £792.43
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 6th Aug 18, 2:03 PM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 40,755 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Lamb steaks from yesterday tonight - with salad.

Kerrie it's pretty Mordor here too x
    • C J
    • By C J 6th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 6,503 Thanks
    C J
    The worst thing of all about this weather is that I actually prefer being at work. I'm in a super-chilled office so it's lovely but I have to wear a jumper it's so cold!

I have a large bowl full of meat stripped from yesterday's roast chicken, and if my kitchen isn't too unbearably hot tonight I will make a chicken and leek puff pastry pie and service it with steamed veg.

If it's too hot to cook, I might just settle for a large G&T instead.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 6th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 5,131 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Last night we had an M&S chinese meal for two, stretched to 3 with some extra spring rolls, prawn crackers and stir fried noodles and courgette from the garden.

Tonight's dinner will be roast beef, hm yorkshires, roasties, cornish new potatoes, savoy cabbage, carrots, green beans from the garden, and gravy....followed by a rm individual blackcurrant cheesecake each.
    Miles walked in 2018 - 284/700
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Aug 18, 7:07 PM
    • 20,522 Posts
    • 55,192 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Buttered chicken breast joint (YS £1.58 reduced from £5.25 ) with new potatoes, chantenay carrots (also YS), cabbage and broccoli.

Will do us for 2 meals so pretty cheap.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 6th Aug 18, 7:33 PM
    • 7,251 Posts
    • 50,153 Thanks
    kerri gt
    OH was fed at work at lunchtime so came home and picked

I had some more of the broccoli / asparagus bowl thing I bought YS yesterday (seem to be hanging in there with asparagus, though it's so flipping hot I prob couldn't tell if I'm having a reaction to it or not), with mushroom quiche and sliced fried potatoes.

I had planned stir fry tomorrow but it's still hotter than hot here and I'm not sure we'll even fancy that.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 6th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 5,016 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Quorn chilli with rice, homemade guacamole, natural yogurt and coriander

It was delicious
    Credit Card 1: £0.00 (0%) | Credit Card 2: £1,371.98 (0%) | Credit Card 3: £369.49 (0%) Car Finance: £6,367 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £109,839 (2.79% APR) | Emergency Fund: £414/£1000
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Aug 18, 6:28 AM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 40,755 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Pork steaks with mustard sauce, braised red cabbage and mash for the men
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

607Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin