Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • David.27
    • By David.27 9th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Home insurance after flood.
    • #1
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    Home insurance after flood. 9th Jan 18 at 10:17 PM
    Hi, I am new to this forum so any help would be highly appreciated.
    I was unfortunately flooded recently and i have to move out whilst renovation is taking place. The insurance have put me up in rented accommodation for six months. My question is does the insurance help with gas, electricity and council tax bills? As I am having to pay on both property's at the moment. The insurance will happily cover the rent but I am struggling to get an answer out of them for the bills? If anyone has any help/ experience with this please help.
Page 1
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 9th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    Yes, they will cover the costs incurred.
    Your costs for your own property should reduce though.
    Make sure you keep a note of everything and all receipts etc.
    • floodassistliz
    • By floodassistliz 10th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #3
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • #3
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    Hi David27,
    Yes you should be able to ask for support with the additional bill as you are incurring costs that you would not incur had your home not flooded. Its likely that you will need to pay the bills in your rented home assuming that these are similar to what you would normally pay in the property you own - if these bills are more so for example the council tax band is higher than your normal council tax your insurer should settle the difference
    If you have a loss adjuster appointed to your case you can use them as a second route in to request this help from your otherwise you will need to keep on chasing them down
    If your rented accommodation is some distance from your original home and you are incurring additional costs such as transportation as a result you may also be able to claim from your insurer for these too.
    Hope you are back in your home soon, Liz
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

771Posts Today

6,968Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa?

  • Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t?

  • Today's twitter poll: Should cannabis be legalised, for medical (via prescription) use, and/or adult's recreational use?

  • Follow Martin