Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kitty4kits
    • By Kitty4kits 9th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kitty4kits
    6 weeks sick, employed, no pay??
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    6 weeks sick, employed, no pay?? 9th Jan 18 at 9:47 PM
    Just spoke to my sister who has been very ill and was signed off work for 6 weeks by her GP. She works 16 hours PW in retail.

She's gone back to work but is still not well and I told her to get signed off again but she said she can't as she's had no income for 6 weeks. She received zilch the whole time.

I told her she is entitled to SSP surely? But she didn't know and her employer sorted nothing out at all.

She has been employed over a year, she earns over the 113 a week and she gave them a sick note

Shouldn't she have gotten SSP?

Can she claim it still from the 6 weeks?
    Should her work have sorted this or is it her responsibility?

Any advice is welcome.
    Especially with her rights going forwards as she is still poorly.

Many thanks.
Page 2
    • chrisbur
    • By chrisbur 11th Jan 18, 1:49 PM
    • 2,926 Posts
    • 1,570 Thanks
    chrisbur
    If you want to calculate SSP entitlement you can use this....
    https://www.gov.uk/calculate-statutory-sick-pay

Broadly speaking it is calculated on an average of actual earnings for the eight weeks prior to the date sickness starts. So if you are weekly paid it would be the average of the last payday before the sickness started added to the seven paydays before that one. Bit more complicated for monthly but the calculator covers this if it applies.

As advised whether entitled or not something should have been done, either payment made or advised why payment not made.

First thing to do is get in touch with payroll to see what is happening, bits of paper do sometimes get lost they may be under the impression this was just an absence not sick pay.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Bottom line is that the sister would either be entitled to SSP or be able to claim ESA, assuming she is single and doesn't have a partner working over 24 hours per week.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 11th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 3,020 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    Let me ask you a question, how many weeks are there in a month?
    Originally posted by stuartJo1989
    It doesn't matter because it's totally irrelevant. The sister needs to earn 113 a week and earns 120 a week therefore she earns enough.

It was only you that brought months into it when that wasn't necessary.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 11th Jan 18, 11:12 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    It doesn't matter because it's totally irrelevant. The sister needs to earn 113 a week and earns 120 a week therefore she earns enough.

It was only you that brought months into it when that wasn't necessary.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    Ok fair enough

Listen, I was just shedding some light on a possibility. If that's not the case then fair enough.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 16th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 456 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    Ok fair enough

Listen, I was just shedding some light on a possibility. If that's not the case then fair enough.
    Originally posted by stuartJo1989
    Whether or not the months thing is helpful in this case, I do think that it may be helpful to someone who searches for a similar problem in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,650Posts Today

7,871Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin