Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Esacontribution
    • By Esacontribution 9th Jan 18, 9:43 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Esacontribution
    Universal credit - dual claim with new style ESA
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:43 PM
    Universal credit - dual claim with new style ESA 9th Jan 18 at 9:43 PM
    Hello everyone

Iím hoping that someone will be able to put a few things in perspective for me in regards to my current situation

My situation at the moment :
    Iím in receipt of ESA new style support group at £109.65 a week and have been for many months

My partner is my carer and recieveing 62.40 a week.

We rent privately and are entitled to £99.06 LHA housing benefit a week.

Initially we were told that I would be on an assessment rate for my ESA even though I was already in a support group and that our entitlement would be £1081.22 a month for UC.

However after this I had a short appointment in the job centre and the advisor said she was taking all of the work related stuff off the system for me and that I donít need further appointments and that my support group satisfies the need for a sick note - presumably this places me directly in the LCWRA group and that Iím not in any assessment phase as the previous advisor may have suggested she did the same for my partner as he is my carer and she said he doesnít need to do anything work related either.

Iíve ran an entitlement calculation through entitled to which came up with the following :

Universal Credit
    Maximum Amount
    Standard allowance £498.89
    Child element (for 0 children) £0.00
    Additional amount for disabled child or qualifying young person £0.00
    Limited capability for work element £0.00
    Limited capability for work and work-related activity element £318.76
    Carer element £151.89
    Childcare costs element £0.00
    Universal Credit Maximum Amount (excluding housing costs) £969.54
    Housing Costs
    Eligible rent £430.44
    Cap rent £430.44
    Housing costs contribution £0.00
    Total housing costs element £430.44
    Total Universal Credit Maximum Amount (including housing costs) £1,399.98
    Earned income
    Net earnings £0.00
    Minimum Income Floor £0.00
    Does Minimum Income Floor apply no
    Work Allowance £192.00
    Pension Contributions £0.00
    Earned income brought to account £0.00
    Total income
    Unearned income £272.44
    Less unearned income disregards £0.00
    Earned income brought to account £0.00
    Earned income after 63.0% taper £0.00
    Total income for Universal Credit £272.44
    Universal Credit
    Maximum amount £1,399.98
    Less total income for Universal Credit £272.44
    Universal Credit award (before adjustments) £1,127.54
    Direct payment of housing costs to landlord unknown
    Above benefits cap? no
    Exempt from benefits cap? yes

This leaves us with 1127.55 after carers allowance is deducted from the award.

My question is this - will my new style esa still be paid to be fortnightly at 109.65 a week - roughly £475 pm.

And will that then be deducted from the 1127.5 as well leaving me with -

UC award of - 652
    ESA - 475
    Carers - 270

Totalling £1397

Was the initial 1080 that was quoted not taking into account the LCWRA of 319? Because adding that to the initial 1080 gives us the above estimated Figure of 1397 roughly.

I have rang UC and they say they canít see a breakdown of anything until 5 days before the claim !

I would love to know your thoughts !
    Last edited by Esacontribution; 09-01-2018 at 9:51 PM.
Page 1
    • datec66
    • By datec66 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    datec66
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    Yes you are correct in everything you.ve said apart from carers is 271.70 reduced from uc per month ie carers rate x 52 weeks divided by 12 months. Just make sure the lcwra element has been added to your uc claim has needs to be done manually by staff.

Whilst its true they cant see breakdown until day after ap ended its lazy to not work it out manually as it aint difficult.

Carl
    • Esacontribution
    • By Esacontribution 10th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Esacontribution
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    Thanks for your reply

Iím not too sure why the entitledto calc puts that figure in as carers, Iíve just redone it and ensured the correct weekly figure is input but it still uses £272.44 as the monthly deduction - must be a bug!

Am I right Iím assuming I will receive ESA fortnightly seperate from the monthly UC award ?
    • datec66
    • By datec66 17th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    datec66
    • 17th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    Sorry only just seen this.

Yes your esa is still paid fortnightly on a set day that the last 2 numbers of your ni number dictate.

Cheers
    • epitome
    • By epitome 17th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 3,160 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    epitome
    • 17th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    The ESA will continue as normal 2 weekly
    You will be in the Support Group, however, UC usually puts people forward straightaway for another medical assessment to begin....i.e. an ESA50 followed by an assessment.

If the UC is in your name or joint (I dunno how UC does claims or joint claims) then LCWRA will be applied.
    If it is in your partner's name with you as named partner...then I can see the potential for there to be no LCWRA element on the UC claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

688Posts Today

6,190Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin